ADVERTISEMENT

Rewatched highlights of ND / UNC

We almost beat #1 Florida State the next week in Talahasse. How is that being exposed?
Sure we had problems with the hurry up but our defense was absolutely decimated by injuries.
North Carolina was a trap game. Everyone knew that,
That was the blueprint for the rest of the year - ND had a very hard time adjusting to it - total debacle.

We were exposed when Joe Schmidt got his ankle rolled upon during the Navy game. I never imagined in my wildest nightmare that a former walk on could be so valuable at ND. The decimated defense could not cover the onslaught of offensive turnovers in the second half of the season.
Yes - Schmidt was a huge loss - but 38 was fine in this game - we didn't adjust to the pace of play at all.

Every team has injuries. But no amount of injuries excuse last year's defense being the worst in school history. What worries me is that Auburn's defense in 2012 set all the wrong records as well and by the end of the season opponents were naming their score. Coincidence?

Van Gorder has made a very successful living coaching defense, so hopefully he adjusts to stopping tempo offenses. I can't take another year of watching delayed safety blitzes leaving the middle of the field wide open. This isn't 2004!

Every team has injuries. But no amount of injuries excuse last year's defense being the worst in school history. What worries me is that Auburn's defense in 2012 set all the wrong records as well and by the end of the season opponents were naming their score. Coincidence?

Van Gorder has made a very successful living coaching defense, so hopefully he adjusts to stopping tempo offenses. I can't take another year of watching delayed safety blitzes leaving the middle of the field wide open. This isn't 2004!
TENUTA VS BVG - could be an epic battle of discombobulated blitzes at Virginia.

Blooded - I have tried to suppress any memories from 2007. But I checked, and while 2007 was bad (28.8 ppg), last year's defense was worse at 29.2 ppg.

That game was a perfect representation go golson - when he wasn't busy winning the game he was busy losing it

Put up 50 and give 21 back

There were a lot of highs and lows in that game. I think the team mentally was looking ahead to FSU and not really focused on UNC. The biggest problem was turnovers and not being able to contain the QB.

There were a lot of highs and lows in that game. I think the team mentally was looking ahead to FSU and not really focused on UNC. The biggest problem was turnovers and not being able to contain the QB.

I tend to agree with this assessment. Teams can't play perfect games week in and week out. Down the road, the injuries added up and the turnovers escalated. End of story. I criticize less VGR than Kelly, who I think should have benched Golson for a couple of series much earlier in the season. May have resulted in him clearing his head, finishing stronger and still being here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT