ADVERTISEMENT

Revisiting 12 team play off

NCDomer1

I've posted how many times?
Sep 23, 2005

NCAA is more and more looking like the NFL especially come playoff time. I like the playoff scenario because of additional quality entertainment. The first four get a bye week as a reward while eight teams battle it out the home field advantage is enticing as it adds more games.
Washington did not belong in the national championship game last night, nor did TCU last year and to be honest if the 12 team playoff happened this year Michigan would not have made it this year.
This playoff scenario will give a better understanding of a true national championship. I still scratching my head on how Bama beat Georgia, but then again the dawgs played a bad schedule this year.
Thoughts on the playoff system

Reactions: NDinNJ

NCAA is more and more looking like the NFL especially come playoff time. I like the playoff scenario because of additional quality entertainment. The first four get a bye week as a reward while eight teams battle it out the home field advantage is enticing as it adds more games.
Washington did not belong in the national championship game last night, nor did TCU last year and to be honest if the 12 team playoff happened this year Michigan would not have made it this year.
This playoff scenario will give a better understanding of a true national championship. I still scratching my head on how Bama beat Georgia, but then again the dawgs played a bad schedule this year.
12 is far too many teams to have in a playoff. I thought 4 was fine. Beyond that, you are getting teams that have no business playing for a NC. I don't disagree with your claim that the college playoff is looking more and more like the NFL. That's not a good thing, IMO.

12 is far too many teams to have in a playoff. I thought 4 was fine. Beyond that, you are getting teams that have no business playing for a NC. I don't disagree with your claim that the college playoff is looking more and more like the NFL. That's not a good thing, IMO.
4 is not fine. Perfect example is this year. 7-8 teams deserving. 8 is about right but ill take 12

Reactions: Pennick4
12 is more money. That is why it isn't 8.

Programs and coaches will now be judged on how often they make the 12. Sort of like making the NCAA tourney in hoops.

I would think the bigger similarities to the NFL is college kids are being paid, and pettleing their services annually

Bama beat Ga due to Brock Bowers not playing in the second half

I would think the bigger similarities are college kids are being paid, and pettleing their services annually

Bama beat Ga due to Brock Bowers not playing in the second half
Who gives a shit who did not play the second half in game 13. Injuries happen everywhere. Alabama beat Georgia because Alabama beat Georgia that day.

Reactions: Pennick4
Strictly $$$$$$. Teams 7-12 have zero chance to win four games and win a title. CFB is not the NFL.

I think 48 would awesome just imagine all that TV money, and I also think near the end of the season players can opt to teams that look like they'll be in good shape for the playoffs, but are missing a piece, or two, but the team the player opt to needs to pay the team the player opt out of the cost of that player the university invested in

Reactions: NCDomer1
I think 48 would awesome just imagine all that TV money, and I also think near the end of the season players can opt to teams that look like they'll be in good shape for the playoffs, but are missing a piece, or two, but the team the player opt to needs to pay the team the player opt out of the cost of that player the university invested in
Sorry, I can't agree with that. If you have a 48 team playoff, the regular season is meaningless. In my estimation, the fewer number of teams in the playoff, the better off we are.

Agreed as I do not agree with the 4 teams receiving a bye having to be conference champions

It will be interesting, if they hold at 12 and not expand further for a long enough period, to see what percentage of champions come from those who receive a bye. Less wear and tear, more rest, helps with injuries, etc.

Six teams would have done the job; as was shown this year there were not more Legitimate Championship contenders.

Its arguable that there were only three.

Six with two getting a first rd bye would baring a freak year be fine
Lets be really honest here: What are the chances #12 EVER makes it to the NC game?

I wanted to see an 8 team playoff for years but I’m good with 12. Those saying no 7-12 team will ever make it to or win the final (championship) game is wrong. It will happen, especially with them not reseeding after the first round.

Every year there are a few teams that lose a few games before the half way point and then end the season on a tear. Now, I think 80-90% of the time the winner will come from the top 4, but to say it won’t happen is wrong IMO.

Ultimately, what I’d like to see is the P5, soon to be P4 teams play in their own league separate from the other 70 or so teams. Let those G5 teams play for their own NC.
You want to talk about fairness, well Toledo, SDSU, Boise St., etc. are NEVER winning a NC in any division that includes teams like UGA, OSU, Bama, ND, UM, UT, etc. it ain’t happening. At the end of the day, what the hell are those 70 teams playing for?

Reactions: NDblitz
Six teams would have done the job; as was shown this year there were not more Legitimate Championship contenders.

Lets be really honest here: What are the chances #12 EVER makes it to the NC game?
Agree. The 7-12 have zero chance to win 4 consecutive games.

Ultimately, what I’d like to see is the P5, soon to be P4 teams play in their own league separate from the other 70 or so teams. Let those G5 teams play for their own NC.
You want to talk about fairness, well Toledo, SDSU, Boise St., etc. are NEVER winning a NC in any division that includes teams like UGA, OSU, Bama, ND, UM, UT, etc. it ain’t happening. At the end of the day, what the hell are those 70 teams playing for?
Before tv pushed a playoff those teams played to claim a national title. The voters could consider whether they punched above their weight class whereas now it does not matter since they cannot endure a tournament against bigger players.

Sorry, I can't agree with that. If you have a 48 team playoff, the regular season is meaningless. In my estimation, the fewer number of teams in the playoff, the better off we are.
yeah ok GREAT idea! Lets go back to the BCS and have a two team playoff. Better yet lets go back to the popularity contest and just have 50 people vote on who they think is the best team is and they will be the crowned mythical champion.

Last edited:

Screw the byes. I don't like that. I'd rather have 8 or 16 but Im happy with 12. Beats the hell out of all this stupid computer model, BCS, two team, four team playoff nonsense.

Every year there are a few teams that lose a few games before the half way point and then end the season on a tear. Now, I think 80-90% of the time the winner will come from the top 4, but to say it won’t happen is wrong IMO.

Arizona is a good example of that this year

Strictly $$$$$$. Teams 7-12 have zero chance to win four games and win a title. CFB is not the NFL.
Lmfao
The 2011 (9-7) Giants won the Suppe bowl.
You see it all the time.
Matt Ramos pinned the untouchable Spencer Lee
You tell me a sport where the unlikely winner didn't win?

Last edited:
Seems to be a choice between two options debated: Undeserving teams in the playoffs or deserving teams not in the playoffs. Lesser of two evils prevails... 12 means undeserving teams in the playoffs. Its still an improvement.

Lmfao
You see it all the time.
This is why I am opposed to the larger number of teams in the playoffs. With 12 schools eligible, we will likely see three loss teams playing for championships. Three loss teams have already shown that they are not good enough.

Just keep in mind that it hasn't been that long ago since the title was a coronation....where teams/conferences were married to specific bowls...and that didn't always lend itself to earning the crown in a head-to-head fashion. What I mean is...you could have a #1 team playing in the Rose Bowl...get beat by their opponent...and that team isn't the champion...its another team in the Sugar Bowl who won their game against an even lesser opponent. We saw that scenario play out plenty...thus....a coronation.

Agree. The 7-12 have zero chance to win 4 consecutive games.
Oregon would’ve been the 8 seed if the 12 team playoff was this year, I don’t think it’s out of the question to think they would’ve had a chance to win it all.

However, I do agree that 9-12 has a very small chance to win it all.

Oregon would’ve been the 8 seed if the 12 team playoff was this year, I don’t think it’s out of the question to think they would’ve had a chance to win it all.

However, I do agree that 9-12 has a very small chance to win it all.
I missed very very few snaps of Oregon Football this past season. Win 4 consecutive games? No chance.

Lmfao
You see it all the time.
The NFL is built on a hard cap and parity. The NFL prides themselves on parity. 10-7 in the NFL is called success.

CFB? Not so much. There's a reason the SEC has won 13 of the last 18 titles. And frankly, Georgia or Alabama will very likely win the title in 2024.

This is why I am opposed to the larger number of teams in the playoffs. With 12 schools eligible, we will likely see three loss teams playing for championships. Three loss teams have already shown that they are not good enough.
I completely agree

Reactions: NDSMC78
The NFL is built on a hard cap and parity. The NFL prides themselves on parity. 10-7 in the NFL is called success.

CFB? Not so much. There's a reason the SEC has won 13 of the last 18 titles. And frankly, Georgia or Alabama will very likely win the title in 2024.
Tom Brady showed different. Parity never elevated to his level

It will be interesting, if they hold at 12 and not expand further for a long enough period, to see what percentage of champions come from those who receive a bye. Less wear and tear, more rest, helps with injuries, etc.
Not really, the 4 with a bye played an extra game via the conference championship game. It's the loser of that game that will have additional wear and tear playing that extra game. ND is fine because no CCG, so not having a bye is no big deal.

Just keep in mind that it hasn't been that long ago since the title was a coronation....where teams/conferences were married to specific bowls...and that didn't always lend itself to earning the crown in a head-to-head fashion. What I mean is...you could have a #1 team playing in the Rose Bowl...get beat by their opponent...and that team isn't the champion...its another team in the Sugar Bowl who won their game against an even lesser opponent. We saw that scenario play out plenty...thus....a coronation.
That's why the national title meant best season and not the best end of the year hot streak.

That's why the national title meant best season and not the best end of the year hot streak.
If that were true....Gonzaga would be the 2021 college basketball champions. There has to be a championship game....meaning, the winner is the champion. They had a better season than Baylor.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT