ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting momentum this time last year seemed a lot greater than it is currently

As for me, I am very much looking forward to next season. I think we will see a lot of improvement.
Notre Dame could switch its 85 man football roster with 85 members of the Notre Dame band and you'd still be here saying the same stuff

We don’t need to pay players. That’s illegal. We need to do what’s best for our student athletes, which is hire great coaches and improve facilities. Wanting what’s best for ND IS being a fan. Sitting back content without an ounce of criticism ever in your life, passively supporting Swarbrick and Jenkins, rooting for mediocre results, does NOT make you a ND fan. It’s quite the opposite. Fans are a passionate bunch. If you don’t like critical discussion of a program that is falling apart, perhaps you’re just not a fan.

Reactions: tbone3114
We don’t need to pay players. That’s illegal. We need to do what’s best for our student athletes, which is hire great coaches and improve facilities. Wanting what’s best for ND IS being a fan. Sitting back content without an ounce of criticism ever in your life, passively supporting Swarbrick and Jenkins, rooting for mediocre results, does NOT make you a ND fan. It’s quite the opposite. Fans are a passionate bunch. If you don’t like critical discussion of a program that is falling apart, perhaps you’re just not a fan.
The mostc reasonable thing you've ever posted

ND is currently ranked number 2 with the third highest average ranking in the top 10. Seven four star recruits and one three star. Almost two months into the year. ND is in good shape with a number of top 100 recruits. I would say ND is in good shape.

There's a bit of nuance here that you are missing. Try better next time.

I agree with a lot of your post, but wanted to point out that there's already a composite talent ranking. It gets updated at the start of the new football season and throughout the season until bowl-season starts.

This talent-ranking takes the recruiting rankings of all players on the 85 man roster on every FBS team and then compares them and updates throughout the season to account for defections/suspensions/transfers.

Anyway, ND was #10 in team talent last year as of 12/04/22: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/ which is pretty much par for the course for much of the last decade. #10 doesn't look bad, but when you see how much further ahead the tier 1 teams are in talent, it paints a pretty bleak picture in terms of NDs playoff/national title outlook.

Recruiting has improved slightly in recent years (since around the time Freeman came on board as DC) but ND has been getting beat really badly on the transfer portal so the slight uptick in recruiting trail success has been negated by NDs relatively poor transfer-portal utilization.
Ohh, you mean opinion, and that it’s yours? That nuance? Lol

No, I didn’t miss it, I easily pointed out the failure of your intended argument …

Reactions: Ndapolis1
Who would you trust your career to?

Marcus Freeman, Gerard Parker, and Gino G or Nick Saban and Tommy Rees? You are right I don't blame him
Give ur a break ….Carr committed when it was MF and GP and TR…and Nick was still down south like now

ND is currently ranked number 2 with the third highest average ranking in the top 10. Seven four star recruits and one three star. Almost two months into the year. ND is in good shape with a number of top 100 recruits. I would say ND is in good shape.
“You are missing the nuance”.., signed, assball

Who stole your handle?

Who stole your handle?
If you want to get 5 star talent than you have to pay a 5 star price otherwise, they will go else where. Think about it some of these deals are over a million dollars, okay, after Uncle Sam takes about 40 percent translating into about $600k for families that are financially strapped goes a long way. There are not to many jobs that pay $600k after taxes even with an ND degree in the first year. We live in an immediate gratification society . ND will have to settle for the crowd who does not garner big NIL money while BAMA and the rest of the SEC are willing to dish out dollars; therefore, everybody can forget about 5 star talent flocking to South Bend or any national championship.
I thought ND would go after a home run hire for OC With the endowment, but I thought wrong.
Severely disappointed in that aspect, but I like Gino a lot. I like the OC at USC, TCU, the other USC. Both of the USC ‘s threw the book at ND with misdirection or creative play calling by not calling the same play every series. Run right or run left with a lot of complicated motion that confuses nobody but the offense. I swear the defense knows most of them already

If you want to get 5 star talent than you have to pay a 5 star price otherwise, they will go else where. Think about it some of these deals are over a million dollars, okay, after Uncle Sam takes about 40 percent translating into about $600k for families that are financially strapped goes a long way. There are not to many jobs that pay $600k after taxes even with an ND degree in the first year. We live in an immediate gratification society . ND will have to settle for the crowd who does not garner big NIL money while BAMA and the rest of the SEC are willing to dish out dollars; therefore, everybody can forget about 5 star talent flocking to South Bend or any national championship.
I thought ND would go after a home run hire for OC With the endowment, but I thought wrong.
Severely disappointed in that aspect, but I like Gino a lot. I like the OC at USC, TCU, the other USC. Both of the USC ‘s threw the book at ND with misdirection or creative play calling by not calling the same play every series. Run right or run left with a lot of complicated motion that confuses nobody but the offense. I swear the defense knows most of them already
I have not nor will I ever support paying college athletes unless the NCAA outright legalized it. ND can compete without doing that through NIL, elite coaching, selling academics, brand and facilities. There are 10+ million fans. If we lose a handful of kids like Dante Moore who cares?

The deeply troubling part to me is potentially losing the true ND kids like Carr bc we don’t give a damn about paying coaches well and settling for mediocre coaches instead of getting the very best for our student athletes. It appears the old curmudgeons leading ND are not interested in doing either.

But Rees can’t recruit and Freeman is the best there is remember. Also, War Daddy has the kids elated.

Ps. The Carr’s said they’re still processing the changes at ND. Freeman promised CJ that if Rees left, they’d bring in the best OC. That was clearly a lie. I really hope he comes around but his lack of energy the past couple of weeks from a kid that was very vocal on a daily basis on social media since his commitment is concerning. He did get some pep in his step and started tweeting when he thought it was Ludwig, but that ended the day we learned the truth. He’s been mum about anything ND since the Parker hire. Can’t blame the kid. He will likely win a Heisman and a NC at Bama. Rees is going to get him to Bama at the end of the day and War Daddy will be hunting a 3 star replacement before we know it. Thank God Rees got Hartman and Minchey to save our asses.
No chance, Bama is happy with Julian sayen.

I'll miss him, they miss you at tiger rant
Do you keep doing this hoping that I'll eventually give in to your mousy little attempts at baiting me and that I'll respond to you?

My earlier, more heartfelt sentiment expressed in this thread couldn't apply more exquisitely than to someone like yourself, even if you are just a blatant troll. I've heard of dead weight before, but Jesus Christ, dude.... In any case, this isn't about football in the slightest, and that goes double for you. Because I have these sort of contrarian positions on the issues, at least compared to your typical meathead football fan, I'm always getting little runts and trolls like yourself who figure they can score off me in the perpetual message-board wars, so I guess I'm used to it. But just the same, I wish you'd give it a rest. Or say something worth a shit if you're going to pipe up.....

Once again, I advise you that you need to find another school to pull for. ND is not going to "open up the pocketbook to bring in talent both players through nil and coaches now." If you think ND is going to do this, you are deceiving yourself.
As for me, I am very much looking forward to next season. I think we will see a lot of improvement.
That's not what NIL is supposed to be and I doubt what it is. The school has no business paying players for their 'image.' So why would Swarbrick and co be expected to tell others to do so?

That's not what NIL is supposed to be and I doubt what it is. The school has no business paying players for their 'image.' So why would Swarbrick and co be expected to tell others to do so?

I'm not expecting that. But it seems that chaseball does.

And yet, you start threads entitled: "Life of a once great brand: 2nd rate talent and 2nd rate coaching staff" and want other readers/posters think you are diminsihing Notre Dame?
I just want to speak frankly about the issues that's it. If you want pro ND propaganda or some fairy tale story or narrative there's tons of websites for that

There's very few places left where you can just speak frankly and not get filtered or banned there's very few places left online that aren't echo chambers and that's what I love about this place.

Reactions: tbonesays
I just want to speak frankly about the issues that's it. If you want pro ND propaganda or some fairy tale story or narrative there's tons of websites for that

There's very few places left where you can just speak frankly and not get filtered or banned there's very few places left online that aren't echo chambers and that's what I love about this place.
So you post your garbage and are butt hurt most laugh at you?
You are a pathetic troll desperate for attention which unfortunately you do get; you are just too stupid to realize that ridicule and disgust are what you are regarded with as seen by those with intelligence and common sense

Reactions: hvillebill
After all the losses down the stretch in the recruiting season last year and then the failure to hire a better OC I got to admit it has really dampened a lot of the excitement and future outlook of this program.

I really hope Notre Dame knows what it's doing pinching pennies instead of opening up the pocketbook to bring in talent both players through nil and coaches now

Maybe Jack swarbrick is the new Billy Beane and he's exploiting the new market inefficiency in college football by letting competitors pick away all of Notre Dame's talent like meat on a bone 😂
Since I joined this board over 20 years ago, the offseason, particularly as respects recruting, has been PREDOMINANTLY SWING AND MISS. And far more often that not, THE REALLY BIG FISH have PREDICTABLY swum away.

I mean, what's ND's strike percentage with the best recruits it goes after -- the ones ALL ELITE TEAMS WANT? Is it even REMOTELY CLOSE to 5%?

As for Swarbrick I see him as the ANTI-BEANE. Beane is a TALENT MULTIPLIER with MODEST RESOURCES. Swarbrick, who's almost DROWNING in resources, seems almost SNAKE-BITTEN into doing LESS with MORE.

Unless, of course, he's just following orders.

Which seems to me HIGHLY PLAUSIBLE because, as I see it, ND's view of the current state of CFB is AMBIVALENT at best. And let me stress the AT BEST as well.

Let's just say that there's NO GENERAL PATTON FIGHTING ON BEHALF OF FOOTBALL at ND. The guys in the chain of command know what their roles and limits are, and they continue to STRUGGLE within that framework.

Put simply, ND's is far from a WINNER TAKES ALL/TAKE NO PRISONERS approach. In fact, it's more like that of an average half-miler trying to keep pace with the pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball
Good. You won't be missed....
I'll miss him, they miss you at tiger ra
Do you keep doing this hoping that I'll eventually give in to your mousy little attempts at baiting me and that I'll respond to you?

My earlier, more heartfelt sentiment expressed in this thread couldn't apply more exquisitely than to someone like yourself, even if you are just a blatant troll. I've heard of dead weight before, but Jesus Christ, dude.... In any case, this isn't about football in the slightest, and that goes double for you. Because I have these sort of contrarian positions on the issues, at least compared to your typical meathead football fan, I'm always getting little runts and trolls like yourself who figure they can score off me in the perpetual message-board wars, so I guess I'm used to it. But just the same, I wish you'd give it a rest. Or say something worth a shit if you're going to pipe up.....
Not a troll, love my Lord and my Irish.

I'd argue that we're in better shape than last year. Our highest rated guy CJ and

Yes, speak frankly, but look at the facts. Notre Dame's average player ranking during Marcus' two years is the highest in 11 years! We were #6 last year and currently sit at #2. The difference with last year's class -- our #1 recruit for '24 has been the leader of this recruiting class (like Drayk Bowen in '23.). Keon never was all in. CJ is all Irish. So start there. I expect this class to again finish top ten with a higher player average than '23.

As far as mediocrity and attracting top coaches: Faust, Davie, Willingham, Weis (not one of these guys were on CFB teams' hotlist! You could say the same about Devine too, even Holtz was not a superstar.

Lou's record the three years before he took the ND job????

6-5, 4-7, 6-5 (imagine this board if he was the pick to replace Rees at OC.)

frankly? Or nuance? lmao

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT