ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Recruit Reaction to Brian Kelly leaving Notre Dame

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Typically when I do a recruit reaction story, I ask for quotes from the prospects themselves, but with this news being such a shock and tough news to swallow for these young men, I've reached out to various folks close to the players. And in some cases, the players themselves.

Before I get into it, I want to make one thing clear: There's not a single recruit who committed to Notre Dame because of Brian Kelly. His departure alone isn't driving anyone to decommit, but it's the fall out of other coaches leaving that could shake things up.

Quarterback Steve Angeli: He is stoic as usual. He is being patient and waiting more information from Notre Dame. Other colleges needing a quarterback will surely be blowing up his phone, but I like him to stick with ND at the end of this.

Cornerback Jayden Bellamy: I'm told he's cool as a cucumber. No strong indication on Bellamy yet. I could see him sticking with Notre Dame even if Freeman and Co. are not retained.

Linebacker Joshua Burnham: He is very much pulling for Marcus Freeman to be named head coach. I believe Burnham will stay locked in with Notre Dame regardless. He loves the university.

Offensive lineman Ty Chan: I'm told Chan is obviously concerned about the current situation but is being patient with the process. My gut says he sticks but staying close to home at Boston College could be appealing.

Offensive lineman Ashton Craig: He is strong with Notre Dame, and as long as the new coach wants him, he'll be all Irish.

Defensive end Tyson Ford: I'm told he's all Notre Dame. Freeman leaving wouldn't impact anything for him in conversations with folks close to him.

Defensive end Aiden Gobaira: Mike Elston was going to visit the Gobaira household tonight but I'm told that visit was postponed. I believe Gobaira will stick with the Irish no matter what, but as with so many of these guys, there's just so much uncertainty if Freeman leaves.

Defensive tackle Donovan Hinish: I wouldn't be surprised if he wants to stay loyal to Notre Dame or if he would rather stay close to home and play for Pittsburgh. Haven't heard anything either way on Hinish.

Punter Bryce McFerson: It doesn't matter who the coach is. McFerson is 100% locked in with Notre Dame.

Cornerback Jaden Mickey: Special teams coordinator Brian Polian is still scheduled to have lunch with the Mickey family today. That should be interesting, to say the least. Tons of schools are contacting Mickey. I have no idea if he'll stick with ND at this point. My gut feeling says he will.

Wide receiver Tobias Merriweather: Kelly and Co. were at his house last night right before the news broke. He is still very shaken up about the news. There's no real update on Merriweather's status right now as he's just taking it all in.

Cornerback Devin Moore: He hasn't been responding to media types for a couple weeks now. I haven't heard anything on Moore right now, but I suspect he would likely flip to Alabama or Florida if Freeman and Co. leave. Moore hosted the Florida staff for a home visit last night.
(UPDATE: Moore announced his decommitment from Notre Dame).

Cornerback Benjamin Morrison: I haven't heard anything from the Morrison camp yet. Kelly was expected to have a home visit with him tomorrow.

Running back Jadarian Price: He committed to Notre Dame for Notre Dame. I believe he'll be sticking, but with him being down in Texas, he's absolutely someone who could be on flip watch.

Tight end Eli Raridon: I'm told tight ends coach John McNulty is supposed to have a visit with Raridon today, so that will be interesting. I expect Raridon to stick with Notre Dame at the end of the day.

Offensive lineman Billy Schrauth: The lone non-commit I'll list here. Everything is actually more positive than you'd expect on the Schrauth front. Offensive coordinator Tommy Rees leaving Notre Dame would have a big affect on this recruitment as Schrauth thinks the world of him, and I'm told Rees and Co. will see him on Friday. It would be quite impressive if Notre Dame could still land Schrauth.

Linebacker Jaylen Sneed: This is pretty simple. If Freeman is gone, so is Sneed. I don't know if Sneed would follow Freeman to another school or what, but Sneed is one of the few instances where he picked Notre Dame first because of the staff, at least in my opinion.

Tight end Holden Staes: Haven't heard a peep on him yet.

Offensive lineman Joey Tanona: He tweeted "ND no matter what!" on Monday night.

Linebacker Niuafe Tuihalamaka: I asked him for his status, and he said, "No idea." I have no idea either.

Wide receiver Amorion Walker: Here's his text to me on his status: "No clue. I'm shaken up."

Offensive tackle Aamil Wagner: I have not heard anything on him yet other than "he's doing ok," but I imagine he's taking the news pretty hard considering he just committed a few weeks ago after a roller coaster ride of a recruitment. I would be wary of Kentucky for him.

Wide receiver CJ Williams: Probably the most likely recruit to flip elsewhere, as he was strongly considering it anyways. His dad tweeted this out as a joke this morning: "Wait… Does this mean Brian Kelly is not coming to the crib tonight?" Kelly was scheduled to have an in-home with Williams tonight. I would expect Williams to flip to USC, but he's still getting a feel for his options. Notre Dame's coaches are still on the road, and they (obviously without Kelly) will still have their home visit with Williams tonight.

Linebacker Nolan Ziegler: I could be hired as head coach and he will stick. Seriously. Kid isn't going anywhere.

2023 recruits

Linebacker Drayk Bowen
: The coveted recruit's phone has been ringing off the hook with other coaches contacting him, but Bowen wants to see what happens at Notre Dame. If Freeman sticks, so will Bowen. If not, I would project him to go elsewhere.

Tight end Cooper Flanagan: His focus is more on his championship game on Friday. At the end of the day, I believe Flanagan will stay locked in with Notre Dame. It was his dream offer. The coaching staff doesn't matter.

Running back Sedrick Irvin Jr.: His camp isn't very concerned right now. They want to see what happens with Lance Taylor and Tommy Rees before making any decisions.

Defensive end Keon Keeley: Like Flanagan, Keeley is also focused on his high school playoff run. He was someone who was on the radar as keeping the door cracked for other schools, and if Freeman and/or Elston leave, it would make it difficult for the Irish to keep him.

Safety Adon Shuler: I haven't heard from him but I think he would look elsewhere if Freeman and Co. leave.

Defensive end Brenan Vernon: I also believe it would be very tough for Notre Dame to keep Vernon if the defensive staff is gone. He loves Notre Dame so he would probably consider it with a new staff in place, but it would be an uphill battle.

One last note. The staff is still very much out on the road. I believe this stop today was by Chris O'Leary and Mike Mickens out to stop at Dallas South Oak Cliff, home of 2023 cornerback targets Jayvon Thomas and Malik Muhammad.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News