ADVERTISEMENT

Reading the Tea Leaves

NDblitz

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Dec 15, 2021
On cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens: I absolutely think he’s ready to be a defensive coordinator. That’s why he’s the passing game coordinator. He’s a tremendous football coach, schematically and as a coordinator. He can evaluate. I have said it before, he’s the reason we landed Sauce Gardner. I wasn’t standing on the table for him. That was Mick. He’s a great evaluator and developer. He has a brilliant mind. The entire room helps develop the game play. He’s ready to be a DC.

Is this Freeman telling Mickens he should go look for a DC job or is this Al Golden probably going to leave and this is my guy in 2024?

On cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens: I absolutely think he’s ready to be a defensive coordinator. That’s why he’s the passing game coordinator. He’s a tremendous football coach, schematically and as a coordinator. He can evaluate. I have said it before, he’s the reason we landed Sauce Gardner. I wasn’t standing on the table for him. That was Mick. He’s a great evaluator and developer. He has a brilliant mind. The entire room helps develop the game play. He’s ready to be a DC.

Is this Freeman telling Mickens he should go look for a DC job or is this Al Golden probably going to leave and this is my guy in 2024?
Both. If Golden leaves, Mickens will be a top candidate. If he doesnt, hes telling everyone this guy is ready

Personally I'm hoping golden commits to a year or two more and that Mickens goes to a smaller school as DC knowing he will be back when it's time for golden to move on
Wishful thinking

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT