ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick takes from Notre Dame's third preseason practice

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame practiced earlier than previously scheduled Friday morning to avoid the heat. Instead, the Irish were greeted by thunderstorm alarm clock and rain showers during practice. That kept ND inside the Irish Athletics Center for the first five periods of practice media members were able to watch.

On the availability front, WR Deion Colzie returned to practice today. We reported that he missed yesterday's practice with a migraine. LB Jaylen Sneed was also at practice today, though he wasn't wearing a helmet during warmups and drills. Freshman WR KK Smith (shoulder) remained the only injured player working out on the sideline.

ND spent the first period of practice working on field goals. South Florida transfer Spencer Shrader kicked for the No. 1 unit with Michael Vinson long snapping and QB Dylan Devezin holding. Backup kicker Zac Yoakam kicked from the hold of punter Bryce McFerson and the snaps of Rino Monteforte.

Both kickers were attempting field goals of different distances at the same time, so I struggled to keep track of all their results.

I caught the first two attempts from Yoakam, which he made from 32 and 52 yards. I know he also missed his fifth attempt, but I didn't see the yardage.

After watching Yoakam's first two, I switched my attention to Shrader. He missed from 30 and 52 yards and made from 26, 32, 43 and 49. Leg strength didn't appear to be an issue as his 52-yarder went wide left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News