ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick takes from Notre Dame's sixth preseason practice

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame spent its sixth practice of preseason camp Tuesday morning on the grass field just outside of the typically used LaBar Practice Complex. Media members were allowed to watch the first five periods of practice, which didn't include a lot of excitement.

There were, however, plenty of sidelined players to note. In addition to the three players who spent Monday's practice working out on the sideline - WR KK Smith (shoulder), TE Kevin Bauman and CB Chance Tucker - DE Aiden Gobaira joined the crew in The Pit.

Another couple of cornerbacks were limited in some way. Ryan Barnes participated in practice with a red jersey, which limits his contact. Micah Bell was fuly dressed but didn't participate in any of the drills which required even minimal contact.

One other notable absence was LB Nolan Ziegler. Before folks jump to conclusions, it is our understanding that this is not an indication of his future with the program. I know some folks jumped to that conclusion the other day with Deion Colzie, so I wanted to make that clear.

The first couple of periods were devoted to special teams with the focus on punt block. The portion of practice was highlighted by a drill in which players blocked lightly punted soccer balls. While that was happening, four players caught punts from the machine: Chris Tyree, Matt Salerno, Jaden Greathouse and Jaden Mickey.

The defense spent a period focusing on strips and fumble recoveries before transitioning to its typical position drills.

The last thing of note was a smooth one-handed catch Salerno made on a deep route on air.

We'll be speaking with defensive line coach Al Washington and some defensive linemen after practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News