ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick takes from Notre Dame's fifth preseason practice

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame football took the practice fields Monday after its first day off since preseason camp started Wednesday.

The Irish wore shoulder pads and shorts during the fifth practice of camp. Media members were allowed to view the first five periods.

Notre Dame continues to be relatively healthy, though two new players made appearances on the sideline in The Pit for injured players. TE Kevin Bauman and CB Chance Tucker were both doing sideline workouts at different points of the first five periods. They joined freshman WR KK Smith (shoulder). Neither Bauman nor Tucker sported any indications of what they may be dealing with.

During special teams drills, which included some kickoff coverage work, I spent time watching the defensive line for the first couple of periods. It seemed notable to me that DE Javontae Jean-Baptiste was at the front of one of the two lines with NT Howard Cross III leading the other.

The drill required the lineman to sharpen their pass rush moves they pushed up the field with aggressive hands and loose hips. Donovan Hinish appeared to struggle with the drill as he more or less went straight through the pads rather than weaving through them as directed.

When I watched the WRs working with the quarterbacks, I noticed that Matt Salerno was working on the outside rather than the slot. This is how they were working with the tight ends when four targets were sent into routes.

#1 WR Jayden Thomas, slot Chris Tyree, TE Mitchell Evans, WR Tobias Merriweather
#2 WR Deion Colzie, slot Jaden Greathouse, TE Holden Staes, WR Rico Flores Jr.
#3 WR Matt Salerno, slot Jordan Faison, TE Eli Raridon, WR Chase Dixon
WR Braylon James and TE Cooper Flanagan worked with the fourth wave.

I spent a little time watching the offensive line seeing how they were lining up. For the first time this camp, it looked to me that Rocco Spindler was working at the No. 1 right guard. He was working alongside center Zeke Correll. I also saw Aamil Wagner working at left guard next to Joe Alt, which was a bit surprising. So maybe offensive line coach Joe Rudolph was mixing things up today. We'll get a chance to speak to him after practice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News