ADVERTISEMENT

Football Quick takes from Notre Dame's 11th preseason practice

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame's preseason camp schedule keep rolling Monday morning on a cool (mid-60s), cloudy day in South Bend.

The first five periods of the 11th preseason practice were open to media members, but they weren't nearly as exciting as Saturday's viewing window. That's OK though, because Tuesday is supposed to be a full practice viewing.

The highlight Monday morning was the impressive leg of kicker Spencer Shrader, a graduate transfer from USF. He seems to have the starting spot locked down as he went 8-of-9 with crowd noised pumped into practice.

Kicking from the snap of Michael Vinson and the hold of Dylan Devezin, Shrader's only miss of 52 yards from the right hash sailed wide left. But all of Shrader's attempts had plenty of leg behind them with makes of 53, 49, 46, 42, 40, 36, 25 and 44 yards.

Walk-on kickers Zac Yoakam and Marcello Diomede alternated attempts with a different group that was kicking from different distances at the same time as Shrader. Because they were happening almost simultaneously, I wasn't tracking their attempts as closely. I did catch Yoakam missing from 52 but making from 53.

I spent the majority of the rest of the time watching the wide receivers. They were working on sideline catches with coach Chansi Stuckey. From toe drags to spins up the field to one-handed snags, Stuckey challenged them with difficult scenarios. Jayden Thomas looked the smoothest throughout. Rico Flores Jr. looked pretty sharp too. Not many of the receivers had much success with one-handed attempts.

The offensive line worked on pass sets, running backs drilled on footwork and the defense did individual drills on the other field.

The Pit for sidelined players to work out included four members: WR KK Smith (shoulder), TE Kevin Bauman, CB Chance Tucker and RB Chase Ketterer (right foot). Bauman continues to wear a knee brace on his left knee even when he's not practicing.

CB Ryan Barnes was once again in a red jersey to signal no contact. LB Nolan Ziegler remained absent due to a personal matter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News