ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Mods or? Re: New Format

perseverare

All Star
May 24, 2010
Browsing the forums it seems the new format is, at best, being 'coolly' received.
Since many of us became aware of this change very recently and to my knowledge there were no open requests for posters to participate in any kind of 'testing'; the kind of testing that provides feedback as to how user friendly the design is and how visually appealing it is. So, who was the focus group that the web designers used for providing feedback to adapt the design as the feedback was received? Were these posters who were familiar with the type of sports related forums and the habits of posting? A sports message board forum is considerably different in nature from a 'social network or social network forum; yet it seems that the design here is trying to follow a 'social network' framework. Sports fans are not 'teens' as you find on FB; it is quite a different design need: this is a discussion forum. Why 'likes' is even here is silly.

So who was your focus group providing feedback; please tell me you were not leaving us at the mercy of 'techies'!

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Browsing the forums it seems the new format is, at best, being 'coolly' received.
Since many of us became aware of this change very recently and to my knowledge there were no open requests for posters to participate in any kind of 'testing'; the kind of testing that provides feedback as to how user friendly the design is and how visually appealing it is. So, who was the focus group that the web designers used for providing feedback to adapt the design as the feedback was received? Were these posters who were familiar with the type of sports related forums and the habits of posting? A sports message board forum is considerably different in nature from a 'social network or social network forum; yet it seems that the design here is trying to follow a 'social network' framework. Sports fans are not 'teens' as you find on FB; it is quite a different design need: this is a discussion forum. Why 'likes' is even here is silly.

So who was your focus group providing feedback; please tell me you were not leaving us at the mercy of 'techies'!

I do not care for the new format. I find it more difficult to quickly the topic list and more annoying to scan replies. I have been a member of other forums using a similar style of presentation and left every one of them; just not worth the effort.

Reactions: irishdave2000
I do not care for the new format. I find it more difficult to quickly the topic list and more annoying to scan replies. I have been a member of other forums using a similar style of presentation and left every one of them; just not worth the effort.
<iframe width="854" height="510" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This isn't the first place this engine has been used. Similar one is used at 24/7. And this one has been used on the national pages and was then brought to the team sites.

Yes change is not always welcomed. However I do think some will warm to it as you become accustomed to some of the features.

The notifications will help track threads you are part of. You have a profile page back that hasn't been for the last couple of years. Paying members will have private messaging I am told. And it is easier for the servers to archive, recall, and index on search filter . Which can drive more traffic to the site.

Yes some people just won't like it because it isn't what they are used to. And some prefer the system that was. But I can't imagine the feedback will be negative enough. I would say that the national boards have had about a 70%-80% positive feedback once they had a few days to play with it.

As long as Mr.Aliases doesn't figure out the new format I won't complain. Saves me from hitting the ignore button on quite a few names.

This isn't the first place this engine has been used. Similar one is used at 24/7. And this one has been used on the national pages and was then brought to the team sites.

Yes change is not always welcomed. However I do think some will warm to it as you become accustomed to some of the features.

The notifications will help track threads you are part of. You have a profile page back that hasn't been for the last couple of years. Paying members will have private messaging I am told. And it is easier for the servers to archive, recall, and index on search filter . Which can drive more traffic to the site.

Yes some people just won't like it because it isn't what they are used to. And some prefer the system that was. But I can't imagine the feedback will be negative enough. I would say that the national boards have had about a 70%-80% positive feedback once they had a few days to play with it.
IB:
Respectfully; the problem with 247 and Scout is the formats drive poster away. Of course now that the 247 guys have transported to the Rivals forum they have brought their familiar format along. The 'old' site has lost it's competitive advantage: that being user friendly. See Granite's post above. That is not an uncommon response to the 3 major sites over the past few years.

KISS. was never a consideration; but honestly really good programming and web design is in the 'simplistic design'; but it is harder to accomplish.

Have to agree with Perse on this one...the roll-out on this was pretty poor, and did not survey the current users. I am also on their paid site, I will give this awhile to see if I get use to it, but may cancel my subscription. Wish they would prioritize to the user's needs:

1. Get better moderators on site, since the switch it has been terrible, and we lost a lot of contributors
2. Better intel and updates on the paid site, it really has been pretty tame at best
3. Ensure we will not lose NDSince35 b/c of this switch...if he doesn't like it, oh-oh, this site is going to fall apart
4. Finally, please find Irish in Ontario, that guy has gone MIA since the switch to rivals

Reactions: irishdave2000
Which is fine to have that belief.

I'm just saying from the back side it is a better machine for Yahoo. And at the end of the day. If they can help drive traffic to yahoo and through that rivals that is what they are going to do.

Yes they may lose some subscribers in that. However 90% of the posters on this board are free. So if you lose those. You aren't losing money.

Also say you don't like this system. It isn't like you can go to 24/7 and get away from it by posting there.

Which is fine to have that belief.

I'm just saying from the back side it is a better machine for Yahoo. And at the end of the day. If they can help drive traffic to yahoo and through that rivals that is what they are going to do.

Yes they may lose some subscribers in that. However 90% of the posters on this board are free. So if you lose those. You aren't losing money.

Also say you don't like this system. It isn't like you can go to 24/7 and get away from it by posting there.

IB:
Not sure if you have been a Yahoo user; but Yahoo has gotten very user-unfriendly over-all.
And as to 247: while it was more complex than the the old Irish Illust. site, it is far more efficient a design than what we see here today. They have improved the site.

As to losing the posters who are on a free site, you are talking about those posters being subjected to the many pop ups and advertising blocks on every page; why do you think advertisers pay to put them there? It is for us to see them! We go - they go! And then? I use all 3 sites; design wise this is a bottom feeder.
From what we see today, it behooves this site to continue this redesign with the emphasis on the 'end user'.

They all do this....does anyone really think CNN's or USA Today or Sports Illustrated Website are better than their old ones? I am sure CBS Sports is next up to ruin their web site.

IB:
Not sure if you have been a Yahoo user; but Yahoo has gotten very user-unfriendly over-all.
And as to 247: while it was more complex than the the old Irish Illust. site, it is far more efficient a design than what we see here today. They have improved the site.

As to losing the posters who are on a free site, you are talking about those posters being subjected to the many pop ups and advertising blocks on every page; why do you think advertisers pay to put them there? It is for us to see them! We go - they go! And then? I use all 3 sites; design wise this is a bottom feeder.
From what we see today, it behooves this site to continue this redesign with the emphasis on the 'end user'.

I'm not defending them . It isn't like they sent me or any other mod a flyer or option quiz.

We were given a PDF explaining some of the options and abilities and told to study. :)

As far as ads. There are a ton of ad blocker extensions to put on chrome fire fox and other browsers to stop that. I haven't seen an ad on a rivals forum in 3 or 4 years. Due to those.

I'm beginning to get used to the format but in my opinion a message board doesn't need to be so detailed and complicated. Too many whistles and bells

When you start paying, then your opinion will be taken into consideration. Until then, so sorry Charlie!

Reactions: Bodizephax
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT