ADVERTISEMENT

Pro's and Con's of Chris Watt

Rich Starkey

All Star
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2013
Ohio
Since nothing has been officially announced about some of the position coaches, and that includes Jeff Quinn, it's made me think about one of the most famous GA's in the history of college football. That's right, ND's own Chris Watt. Now, I am being a bit sarcastic here, but I have given Chris' future some thought, and at the same time keeping an open mind about things. What I'd like to get out of the way first and foremost is the overexaggerated impact that some thinks he had in his one year at ND as a GA back in 2020. Did Chris really help? Well I'm sure he did, but lets keep some perspective of what role a GA plays. He was not game planning, he was not coming up with his own techniques to teach, and he wasn't picking out the starters. His role was to help out the OT's in individual sessions, to help out on the scout team, and implement what the line coach wanted. I really hope that everyone gets that. At the same time, I don't want to diminish what he did either. If I'm a young O lineman, and I have a relatively young coach who wasn't that far removed from playing at ND and in the NFL, then that has to get my attention, and I'm sure the players who came in contact with him were locked in.

What would be a "Con" of hiring Chris Watt? Well the first thing that jumps out to me is his inexperience. Let's not forget that Chris was out of football for a few years before he began his gig as a GA at ND. Coaching the O line is so much more than just telling his guys to be aggressive, which is what he was known for as a player. When I coached, my head coach wrote on every single practice plan "Be good teachers." Just because someone was a good player and played in the NFL doesn't necessarily mean he'll be any good at teaching the game. There are X's and O's, understanding the offense, getting your unit to play together, and of course the big enchilada, recruiting. He did get his feet wet at Tulane this year, and it was interesting that Chip Long probably had a role in hiring him.
My question would be this. Is this the type of coach that you would want to go after for such an important position if he wasn't an ND grad? I think I know the answer, but I'll let you answer it (truthfully).

The "Pro's" of hiring Chris Watt? I'm going to think about this in a different way at first. O line coaches generally don't move around unless the head coach gets fired, or they want to move to a top program. Chris would already be at a top program, and under a head coach that has potentially a very long and bright future at ND. As a head coach, wouldn't I love to lock down a young ND grad that played in the NFL, and who could potentially be on my staff for as long as I wanted him? Assistant coaches leave, but having stability here would be a good thing.
As long as Chris Watt has the drive, then he could be successful on the recruiting trail. For every Steve Elmer, who was a good player here, there are a thousand other O linemen who's goal is to play in the NFL - at least when they're coming out of high school. I would think that his playing in the NFL would trump any lack of experience he has in the eyes of a recruit. Of course, he'll need to up his game because he currently has verbals from two 2 star O linemen in this class. And yes, I understand it's Tulane.

So why is the possibility of Chris Watt starting to make a little sense to me? One just needs to look at Tommy Rees, and the connection that the 2 of them have. They played together, they were roommates and best friends, they were at the Chargers together for a year, and then reunited once again in 2020 at ND. For all of you folks that think connections don't matter in the coaching profession, well....................

Curious to hear everyone's thoughts, and let's not make this about Quinn, let's assume he's gone, or any other coaching candidates.. The big question is, would you hire Chris Watt and why? If you wanted to go in a different direction than Watt, not interested in the candidates, but why?

Go on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News