ADVERTISEMENT

Possible new OC

Mike Yurich might be the silent OC that's being talked to. Supposedly flight tracker has NDs plane in state college.

Mike Yurich might be the silent OC that's being talked to. Supposedly flight tracker has NDs plane in state college.
I'd be surprised. He's making 2 million and he's got Drew Allar. Then again Franklin known for being a real SOB to work for.

Reactions: Kelso86
I'd be surprised. He's making 2 million and he's got Drew Allar. Then again Franklin known for being a real SOB to work for.
I haven't heard anything definitive, but I have also heard Freeman is really really trying to eliminate all the leaks out of the Gug, so maybe he's have some success.

I'm high on Drew Allar's potential, but I think he is FAR FAR from a sure thing. I could easily be proven wrong here but I still feel like he could be Herbert or Morelli. Where as Yurich comes in year 1 at ND and can just roll with Hartman a better QB. He's been able to walk in to a damn good college QB at OSU, Texas, even PSU, and potentially ND.

Think of how hyped our fan base was about tyler going into this year vs what was reality. Rees had to of known early that, crap, we are going to have some throwing issues this year. Could be something similar with Drew where the outside sees all this potential, but there's a reason he didn't get much real time this year at PSU. No clue, just throwing out hypothetical.

Last edited:
Interesting statistics on Ludwig.

"F+ rankings go back to 2007 and Ludwig has had only two offenses ranked higher than 20th in OF+. He’s never had a top-10 (the highest was 11th at Utah in 2019). It’s enough to question how high the ceiling is if Notre Dame hired him.

He also hasn’t had offenses that have consistently created explosive plays. His offenses have finished 36th, 54th, 102nd, 40th, 46th, 84th, 103rd, 125th, 9th and 21st (at Wisconsin), 61st, 36th, and 103rd in plays of 20+ yards from scrimmage over the last thirteen seasons."
You realize the caliber of players he's dealing with in comparison to Notre Dame right? Hes getting around the top 60 annually.... At Utah. I am not as worried about this.

Of course you did. God forbid you might have to take a deeper dive than your id level thoughts. Not to mention one of the BIG things they say ND needs is more explosives.
Again, I literally stopped at F+. Not interested in any "deeper dive..." from F+.

I have seen enough with my own two eyes from Andy Ludwig to form my own deep dive.

I haven't heard anything definitive, but I have also heard Freeman is really really trying to eliminate all the leaks out of the Gug, so maybe he's have some success.

I'm high on Drew Allar's potential, but I think he is FAR FAR from a sure thing. I could easily be proven wrong here but I still feel like he could be Herbert or Morelli. Where as Yurich comes in year 1 at ND and can just roll with Hartman a better QB. He's been able to walk in to a damn good college QB at OSU, Texas, even PSU, and potentially ND.

Think of how hyped our fan base was about tyler going into this year vs what was reality. Rees had to of known early that, crap, we are going to have some throwing issues this year. Could be something similar with Drew where the outside sees all this potential, but there's a reason he didn't get much real time this year at PSU. No clue, just throwing out hypothetical.
"haven't heard anything definitive, but I have also heard Freeman is really really trying to eliminate all the leaks out of the Gug, so maybe he's have some success."

Hope so! There should be no leaks out of the Gug relative to this search. Marcus should fire anyone who leaks information -- let Freeman write the narrative on his selection.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
"haven't heard anything definitive, but I have also heard Freeman is really really trying to eliminate all the leaks out of the Gug, so maybe he's have some success."

Hope so! There should be no leaks out of the Gug relative to this search. Marcus should fire anyone who leaks information -- let Freeman write the narrative on his selection.

We haven’t had any leaks since Rees left. Hmm. Maybe Turnover Tommy was the rat.

Again, I literally stopped at F+. Not interested in any "deeper dive..." from F+.

I have seen enough with my own two eyes from Andy Ludwig to form my own deep dive.
Do they do F+ for your girls cross country team?

“Turnover Tommy” is now a 30-year-old 2-million per year OC at Alabama.

Quite the career rise.

“Turnover Tommy” is now a 30-year-old 2-million per year OC at Alabama.

Quite the career rise.
He's the SVP at your company you look at who has failed or not done a very good job at every position he's been in but keeps quickly getting promoted.

Hired on potential, promoted on potential, promoted on potential, lateral move to alabama the jugernaut on potential.. Only thing time he never had much potential was when he actually played.

With all that said, I do think he can be a successful play caller faster than he will be a successful coach/developer of talent.

Last edited:
A new name I read about this morning -- Collin Klein from Kansas State -- appears to be getting serious attention.

Did not realize he was also a Heisman finalist when Manti was a finalist.

sounds like he was offered OC position and ended up declining. I'm slightly getting worried about who our next OC will be.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
sounds like he was offered OC position and ended up declining. I'm slightly getting worried about who our next OC will be.
Marcus has done really well overall in selecting his staff in his 1st go round -- I am sure he is vetting everyone thoroughly and will make the best decision possible. Trust the process.

"I'm slightly getting worried about who our next OC will be"

There'll be plenty of time to congratulate/bitch about his selection later -- there will be people who like the hire, and people who hate the hire. The only people I am concerned with are the staff members and the players and how this person will fit in.

I'm the total opposite here. We have a strong supporting team of coaches on that side of the ball. It's better that freeman takes his time and gets a good fit.

Reactions: Kelso86 and Golson5
I'm the total opposite here. We have a strong supporting team of coaches on that side of the ball. It's better that freeman takes his time and gets a good fit.
sure, but then you hear tee martin might be in the picture. If we are at a point of talking to tee martin, my worry level will rise exponentially.

Marcus has done really well overall in selecting his staff in his 1st go round -- I am sure he is vetting everyone thoroughly and will make the best decision possible. Trust the process.

"I'm slightly getting worried about who our next OC will be"

There'll be plenty of time to congratulate/bitch about his selection later -- there will be people who like the hire, and people who hate the hire. The only people I am concerned with are the staff members and the players and how this person will fit in.
Except when your top options decline you open up to lesser options. Not sure we're there yet, unless rumors of tee martin are true.

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86 and Golson5
sure, but then you hear tee martin might be in the picture. If we are at a point of talking to tee martin, my worry level will rise exponentially.
LOL

All the fake rumors and candidates people get off message boards and twitter is hilarious to me.

People buy in Hook, line and sinker every time

• Haha
Except when your top options decline you open up to lesser options. Not sure we're there yet, unless rumors of tee martin are true.
Tee Martin? where did that name come from ? I have not seen his name floated anywhere (not that I have all the sources down either -- lol)

Tee Martin? where did that name come from ? I have not seen his name floated anywhere (not that I have all the sources down either -- lol)
Loy mentioned it today as someone Freeman has spoken to but believe there is minimal chance it's him.

• Haha
People that have at least some knowledge of football and bring value to conversations
"People that have at least some knowledge of football and bring value to conversations"

Who are they? Are they on this board?

Anyone know what fell through with Klein? I could sift through mountains of info but don’t have the time.

I think everyone needs to realize that multiple things are happening, including freeman building his network, which may or may not be tied to the oc search.

Sites are also using this search to generate revenue. Posting every tidbit generates clicks.

It was determined it was not a fit and was mutual. No other specifics that I have seen.

Thanks. I just read Driskell says it was mutual. Others are inferring Klein turned us down. Could be a situation where we are saving face or could really be mutual. Either way, I’d only take Ludwig over him. Otherwise I think Klein was the best guy.

Lucky lefty pod said he decided to stay at ksu, but that it was because it was determined it was a bad fit. He was not offered.

Him deciding to take himself out of the running is NOT the same as being offered and turning us down.

For example:. If he wanted to bring his own rb coach and freeman said "no we are keeping our guy"... And then Klein said this isnt for me I'm going back to ksu

Vs

Freeman saying hey you're our guy and Klein saying no I'm staying.

In both scenarios Klein decides it's not for him, but it is not the same... I tend to think it was closer to the first example than the second...esp considering there are interviews scheduled today and through the weekend...

Before you ask... A plane left salt lake city for south bend today. Draw your own conclusions. Again it's the FIRST interview. No other details but you can use flight aware to see incoming planes to south bend ..

Last edited:
Thanks. I just read Driskell says it was mutual. Others are inferring Klein turned us down. Could be a situation where we are saving face or could really be mutual. Either way, I’d only take Ludwig over him. Otherwise I think Klein was the best guy.
Or his side is saving face

Reactions: mirer03
I don't care that Klein isn't our next OC, but I do care if he was our top choice vs mutually realized it wasn't a good fit.

I don't care that Klein isn't our next OC, but I do care if he was our top choice vs mutually realized it wasn't a good fit.
He was the first of many scheduled interviews. They haven't even narrowed their list much less zerod in on anyone

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT