ADVERTISEMENT

Players due for a break out season?

nd4life211

Go Irish
Oct 10, 2022
Who do you guys see breaking out this year? There are a ton of candidates: Spindler, Schrauth, Evans, Staes, Thomas, Colzie, Merriweather, Botelho, Watts, Hart…

Just to get this out of the way, I think Botelho is an All-American next season. The guy I really want to see break out though and who needs to, is Cam Hart. This is going to be his third year as a starter and we have seen very little if any progression from him. He still doesn’t tackle well and outside of the Wisconsin game, he has been way too quiet.

To be fair, Hart hasn’t been a huge disappointment. He’s been injured a bit but he doesn’t get beat much and doesn’t get targeted much either. With Morrison stepping up as our shut down corner, it would do wonders for our team if he could step up and shut down the other side of the field. If this happens, it will be a corner duo as talented as ND has had in who knows how long.

Who do y’all see as break out players this season?

Jaylen Sneed was close to a five star recruite. The entire SEC offered him and is a physical freak. First off of bus material. ND has a lot at LB, but he was also the Butkus award winner.

Jaylen Sneed was close to a five star recruite. The entire SEC offered him and is a physical freak. First off of bus material. ND has a lot at LB, but he was also the Butkus award winner.
Let’s hope Sneed’s career doesn’t turn out like Prince Kollie’s.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
I think he had a hard time figuring out schemes as a true freshman, but. The kid is a freakish athlete. He will be hard to keep off of field.

Some guys just take time. My guess is Sneed needs another year. He'll get playing time but he won't get near the snaps that Liufau, Kiser and Bertabd will. And from the spring the feedback sounded like he's making progress but just not there yet.

Who do you guys see breaking out this year? There are a ton of candidates: Spindler, Schrauth, Evans, Staes, Thomas, Colzie, Merriweather, Botelho, Watts, Hart…

Just to get this out of the way, I think Botelho is an All-American next season. The guy I really want to see break out though and who needs to, is Cam Hart. This is going to be his third year as a starter and we have seen very little if any progression from him. He still doesn’t tackle well and outside of the Wisconsin game, he has been way too quiet.

To be fair, Hart hasn’t been a huge disappointment. He’s been injured a bit but he doesn’t get beat much and doesn’t get targeted much either. With Morrison stepping up as our shut down corner, it would do wonders for our team if he could step up and shut down the other side of the field. If this happens, it will be a corner duo as talented as ND has had in who knows how long.

Who do y’all see as break out players this season?
Cam hart has already broken out, he was complete stud in 21, not quite as good but still very good in 22. Honestly out entire team minus Hartman, alt, estime, hart, Morrison and I guess carter are ready to or need to break out. We have a lot of players who have flashed but few that have done it game in and game out for an entire season.

Break out to me means someone that becomes an all game every game reliable good or better player. Not a one great game.

My list of breakout players in order of impact… Hartman, Greathouse, Merriweather, Price, Botelho, Flores, Ziegler, Jagusah, Carter.

Some guys just take time. My guess is Sneed needs another year. He'll get playing time but he won't get near the snaps that Liufau, Kiser and Bertabd will. And from the spring the feedback sounded like he's making progress but just not there yet.
Jaylen is listed ahead of Kiser on the post spring depth chart. Kiser is listed as a starter on another position. There is a good chance to see both of them on the field together.
Cam hart has already broken out, he was complete stud in 21, not quite as good but still very good in 22. Honestly out entire team minus Hartman, alt, estime, hart, Morrison and I guess carter are ready to or need to break out. We have a lot of players who have flashed but few that have done it game in and game out for an entire season.

Break out to me means someone that becomes an all game every game reliable good or better player. Not a one great game.
I like Billy out of your list. It looks like he is primed to be a starter. I see Fischer, Alt, billy, Rocco/Kris. Two out of five will be in NFL after this year. Alt is a sure fire first round pick

I'm going with Estime. Sure, he rushed for almost 1,000 yards last season playing 2nd string. But now with Rees and Diggs gone, and Estime set for 1st string carries, I could see him rushing at least for 1,500 with Heisman discussion.👍

Reactions: IrishMike409
I think we can all agree that somebody at WR, TE, S and IDL must break out or else.

Breakout....

The position of QB

Breakout...

WR group due in part from #1

Breakout
Marist and Jr...if used properly!
Marist is too timid to play inside but he's got nice length. He needs to come off the edge.
Ironically if Marist is blitzing he isn't playing timid. ( some players will shy away from contact a certain way while not shying away from contact a different way... yes thar really happens with some players. Marist is definitely one of those types of players

JR is a cement head and needs to set up an office in the middle!

He doesn't have the length nor lateral quickness to be on the edge.

In the middle he'll bang heads all 60!

Breakout
And possibly most importantly...
The offensive mindset!!!!!
Wanting to get chunk yardage plays down the field because all this breakout talk is meaningless if the offensive theme is still the safe 3 yard curl and sit routes.

Breakout....

The position of QB

Breakout...

WR group due in part from #1

Breakout
Marist and Jr...if used properly!
Marist is too timid to play inside but he's got nice length. He needs to come off the edge.
Ironically if Marist is blitzing he isn't playing timid. ( some players will shy away from contact a certain way while not shying away from contact a different way... yes thar really happens with some players. Marist is definitely one of those types of players

JR is a cement head and needs to set up an office in the middle!

He doesn't have the length nor lateral quickness to be on the edge.

In the middle he'll bang heads all 60!

Breakout
And possibly most importantly...
The offensive mindset!!!!!
Wanting to get chunk yardage plays down the field because all this breakout talk is meaningless if the offensive theme is still the safe 3 yard curl and sit routes.
Yawn.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT