ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Question For Those Who Might Know

deadirishpoet

All Star
Jun 1, 2003
I am heard to Ames IA to see the CY-Hawk wrestling match with some friends and they asked me why the Irish dropped wrestling.
I looked it up and read on Wikipedia that the university said it wasn't that popular to put money into it. I was kinda shocked because the Midwest has some of the best college wrestling in the nation and the HS Wrestling is superb as well.
For those who might know if that's true or if it was actually a title IX causality
Thank you in advance

Reactions: d1042
ND dropped wrestling in the late '70s, and I'm 99 percent sure it had to do with complying with Title IX. I can't remember all the specifics, but I do remember that guys like Bob Golic used to wrestle (and I would not have wanted to take him on).

I know hockey was dropped to club level, but it was brought back at some point. Don't know if wrestling was dropped outright or relegated to club status.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
It was def Title IX. ND dropped wrestling in '92. Wrestling was not well supported even with some success, so when cut decisions came due to Title IX, wrestling was one of them to go.
I remember it being dropped in the late '70s, but maybe that was when they first spoke about it as a possibility.

Thank you for responding

The match was sold out and on ESPN which we didn't know.
We spoke with someone from ESPN who was nice enough to take the time for us about more meets wi be televised and he said that was their plan with alot already scheduled.
Maybe ND could bring wrestling back?

I remember it being dropped in the late '70s, but maybe that was when they first spoke about it as a possibility.

That's interesting because that sounds like it was just a money decision.

My memory from the late '70s must have been when they were trying to figure out what they would do as Title IX was phased in because I know wrestling was definitely on the chopping block at that time.

Here's another article from 1979. This doesn't mention anything about cutting any men's sports, but it does address the concerns of Title IX. While my memory is suspect, I'm pretty certain wrestling and hockey were both cited as potential cuts to make space for women's sports.

Some of facts in the article are pretty funny like the football team's annual budget of $3 million.

That's interesting because that sounds like it was just a money decision.

My memory from the late '70s must have been when they were trying to figure out what they would do as Title IX was phased in because I know wrestling was definitely on the chopping block at that time.
I'm sure it was a money decision... that was brought on by Title IX.

They were going to have to cut something to align with Title IX, so you cut the sport that doesn't have financial support with fans.

Here's another article from 1979. This doesn't mention anything about cutting any men's sports, but it does address the concerns of Title IX. While my memory is suspect, I'm pretty certain wrestling and hockey were both cited as potential cuts to make space for women's sports.

Some of facts in the article are pretty funny like the football team's annual budget of $3 million.
My brother told me he thought it was a title IX issue
That's is funny about the football buget

ND had wrestling into the late 80’s. Jerry Durso finished up as their all time wins leader and an AA I think in 89. ND dropped it around 93 and pissed off a lot of people. Some former wrestlers offered to fund it, but then you have to find another womens sport…….

No one is beating PSU this year, even with some kids take an Olympic redshirt.

If you do a quick search on why Fighting Irish wrestling came to an end after the 1991-1992 season you'll be given the simplistic answer of "Title IX." That is the "official" reason athletic director Dick Rosenthal gave anyway

I am heard to Ames IA to see the CY-Hawk wrestling match with some friends and they asked me why the Irish dropped wrestling.
I looked it up and read on Wikipedia that the university said it wasn't that popular to put money into it. I was kinda shocked because the Midwest has some of the best college wrestling in the nation and the HS Wrestling is superb as well.
For those who might know if that's true or if it was actually a title IX causality
Thank you in advance
DIP
geez, you ask the best questions! Luv ya DIP

ND had wrestling into the late 80’s. Jerry Durso finished up as their all time wins leader and an AA I think in 89. ND dropped it around 93 and pissed off a lot of people. Some former wrestlers offered to fund it, but then you have to find another womens sport…….

No one is beating PSU this year, even with some kids take an Olympic redshirt.
Keep your eye on Michigan

Reactions: TXNDFan88
If you do a quick search on why Fighting Irish wrestling came to an end after the 1991-1992 season you'll be given the simplistic answer of "Title IX." That is the "official" reason athletic director Dick Rosenthal gave anyway
I should of done that.
I looked at Wikipedia which can be spotty for truthful information

• Haha
Reactions: Kelso86
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT