ADVERTISEMENT

Football Observations from Wednesday's full practice viewing

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame head coach Marcus Freeman gave us a surprise treat this morning as local media members were allowed to view Notre Dame's entire ninth spring practice.

I'm working to put together our video from the first five periods of practice, but before I do that I wanted to share a few quick notes. I'll circle back and give you some more details and opinions about today's practice.

Whether quarterback Tyler Buchner was working with the No. 1 or No. 2 offense, the team moved the ball better when he was at quarterback rather than Sam Hartman today. Offensive coordinator Gerad Parker got Buchner on the run and allowed him to make some throws against a defense that was creating pressure with frequency.

Hartman's day was less spectacular as he continued to deal with pressure and was unable to be consistently on the same page with his intended pass catchers. Hartman provided a reminder of why the expectations are so high for him when he connected with Chris Tyree on a 20-yard out route on third-and-9.

The scrimmage portions weren't full tackle, so the running game was pretty limited to running into the line and not being given the benefit of the doubt for breaking tackles.

Some attendance/health notes:

WR Kaleb Smith was not at Wednesday's practice due to personal reasons. LB Prince Kollie missed practice due to a class conflict.

Freshman S Ben Minich joined the injured list as he was seen with his right arm in a sling. Freshman CB Christian Gray was also not dressed for Wednesday's practice.

Notre Dame's safety depth chart is so banged up that Ramon Henderson had to circle back to take some reps with the No. 3 defense.

RB Logan Diggs, LB Jaylen Sneed and even RB Jadarian Price (without shoulder pads) were dressed for practice but didn't do much physically.

A couple walk-on running backs were out of practice: Skip Velotta (leg brace) and Chase Ketterer (sling).

WR Braylon James practiced with a red jersey to signal he wasn't full contact. So did DB Thomas Harper.

More notes to come ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News