ADVERTISEMENT

Football Observations from preseason practice No. 15

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
With classes starting this week, the morning preseason practices are over for Notre Dame football. On Monday, the Irish shifted to early afternoon for preseason practice No. 15.

Notre Dame will have the day off Tuesday and start Wednesday their typical school year schedule with late afternoon practices.

First, a participation report:

Most notably, I didn't see CB Cam Hart today.

WRs Deion Colzie (knee) and Jayden Thomas (hamstring) were both working through drills today. Colzie still has a big brace on his leg.

OL Jarrett Patterson was still wearing a big cast-like wrap on his leg. He was keeping busy with upper body workouts during practice. Caleb Johnson (concussion) was the only other OL not practicing today.

After warmups, Notre Dame worked through some field goals. I put myself in a bad spot to be able to see the yardage of each attempt. However, Blake Grupe made all four of his attempts, with each one coming from a farther distance. Josh Bryan missed his first two and made the longer two attempts.

I spent the rest of my time during the first five periods watching the offensive line and wide receivers.

The offensive line was getting after it pretty good today. The Irish were wearing shoulder pads but not full pants, but the physicality wasn't lacking.

Andrew Kristofic was taking the No. 1 LG reps in Patterson's absence. Behind him, Rocco Spindler was on the receiving end of a lot of coaching from Harry Hiestand.

Carmody, who missed a handful of practices, was having a rough transition back into the swing of things. Pretty early on, he had to step away to puke near the fence.

The defensive line sent over some scout players near the end of the five periods. They included defensive tackles Gabriel Rubio, Jason Onye, Tyson Ford and Donovan Hinish and defensive ends Jordan Botelho, Joshua Burnham, Aiden Gobaira and Osita Ekwonu.

Those defenders were used against Notre Dame's running game with half the line at a time. The offense won most of its battles. The two biggest hiccups for the offensive line came when Hinish ripped off Spindler for a victory and Pat Coogan had a bad snap on another play.

I had my eyes on the wide receivers to see how Joe Wilkins Jr., Thomas and Colzie looked. Wilkins continues to look pretty good and on track to play against Ohio State. I was a bit skeptical following the first day we say him doing drills, but he's settled in pretty nicely over the last week. He's cuts are sharp and at full speed.

Thomas looked back to his normal self, which is good news. I think a lot hinges on him being able to produce for the Irish this season.

Colzie was definitely going through drills a bit gingerly. But it's good to see him out there. His workload was the same as the other receivers, which is a good sign. He probably has a bit to go before he's ready to get out in a game and make plays.

While the receivers were catching passes from WRs coach Chansi Stuckey, head coach Marcus Freeman played the role of defensive back. On short comeback routes, Freeman backpedaled and then closed on the receivers after they made the catch and tried to force a fumble. He didn't have any luck.

It makes sense that Freeman would be spending some extra time with a position that's so important this season. Also with the receivers was sixth-year Avery Davis. He limped around practice with a crutch and a wrap around his right knee. Though he's out for the season with a torn ACL, his presence as a leader will still be valuable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News