ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame goes national with pushback on current NIL landscape

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
Notre Dame president John I. Jenkins and athletic director Jack Swarbrick wrote an op-ed for the New York Times.

Some passages:

"Unfortunately, the new N.I.L. rules have proven to be easy to abuse. To avoid the N.C.A.A. prohibition against directly paying athletic recruits, many schools funnel money to recruits under the guise of a supposed third-party licensing deal — regardless of whether a player’s name, image and likeness have any market value whatsoever. We must establish and enforce regulations that allow legitimate transactions while barring those that are recruiting enticements or pay-for-play."

"Congress, too, must act to resolve conflicting state regulations, clarify that our athletes are students, not employees, and give the N.C.A.A. the ability to enact and enforce rules for fair recruiting and compensation."

Jenkins, Swarbrick and women's basketball player Nat Marshall were part of this Today show story:

Swarbrick joined the College Football Enquirer with Dan Wetzel, Pat Forde and Ross Dellenger:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News