ADVERTISEMENT

NFL ready while still at ND

stu4don

I've posted how many times?
Dec 13, 2006
Was thinking about this 'men amongst boy' idea and the players over the last ten years who were head and shoulders (NFL-ready) above other people on the field. Guys who seem to impose their will, at will...

Here's my very partial list (any missing?):

Michael Floyd
Manti Te'o
Zach Martin
Tyler Eifert
Will Fuller (?)
Jaylon Smith
Quentin Nelson
Jerry Tillery
Chase Claypool!

Maybes: Julian Love, Dexter Williams (not enough games to show), Theo Riddick, Cole Kmet (he is nearly there already!)

Next Year:

Cole Kmet
Ian Book
Kyle Hamilton (or is he a year away?)

Last edited:
Was Kyle that much of a force while at ND? (I thought Kmet had a better season this year than Kyle's junior at ND.) Still, he is a hell of a pro.

Would be interesting to make a list of guys who the consensus was they'd never make (or stick) the pros.....Harrison Smith (has to of exceeded any expectations), Robert Blanton, Mathias Farley..... I thought Theo Riddick did better in the pros than I expected.

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Aaron Lynch had that man among boys look and feel during his brief time with the Irish. I believe he has registered 19 sacks in his time in the NFL.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
A guy I thought would have been really great but just never lived up to potential was DeVaris Daniels. Always thought he was going to be the next AJ Green.

Reactions: nemeth#5
Just edited my original post as the reason I wrote this was that I felt Chase Claypool had a Floyd kinda year for the Irish. At times just unstoppable. Not sure Stanley and McGlinchy were as dominant as Zach and Q at ND...

Great to see Fuller and Nick Martin beat the pats last night!

Just edited my original post as the reason I wrote this was that I felt Chase Claypool had a Floyd kinda year for the Irish. At times just unstoppable. Not sure Stanley and McGlinchy were as dominant as Zach and Q at ND...

I would argue that Stanley and McGlinchy were extremely dominant and were atop of every NFL board at their respective positions. Both top ten picks

Ian... next year! We need him to make a big step if we're going to beat Clemson.

They were not as dominate as Zach or Quentin.... but still NFL ready...

Reactions: Catholicfan95
Remember Sam Young? He was a big get for ND, but never really a star.
So far 21 starts in the NFL in 11 years. But he is in the league 11 yrs!

John Goodman? no votes for ND’s all time fair catcher?

Reactions: HarlemIrish
Stanley was the best tackle pass protector I've seen at ND in a long time. Hes now one of the best left tackles in the NFL. I think someone calls him a dancing bear.
oh yeah. way better at left tackle than Mcglinchey ever was.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT