ADVERTISEMENT

ND - OSU Game day and ticket advice

SanFranciscoIrish

Shakes Down The Thunder
Nov 6, 2017
Going to be back on campus after 10 years!

Tickets are starting at $550 even for the upper levels. Is it better to buy them now or wait until closer to Game Day?

Also would appreciate game day advice: we are planning to drive to campus the same morning. Thoughts on how to plan the day, things to do etc before the game, much appreciated!

Wow that may be top 5 in terms of ticket cost. Quite often you can get a deal on game day but I have seen the market dry up, and since it is a vacation, I would personally hate to have it on my mind. So the expected value of a ticket may be lower getting close to game day, I would not wait. In terms of things to do, I don't know. We always just drive and then walk around marveling on how much things have changed. It's always beautiful though.

Reactions: SanFranciscoIrish
Often times values for tickets go down before the game but this is one of the two biggest games of the season at home coupled with the fact OSU hasn’t come to South Bend since 1996. I didn’t mess around and got tickets in March. Since then, the prices have continued to soar. I fully expect the price point to climb closer to kickoff rather than diminish. I’d try and score tickets asap.

Tickets are starting at $550 even for the upper levels. Is it better to buy them now or wait until closer to Game Day?

Also would appreciate game day advice: we are planning to drive to campus the same morning. Thoughts on how to plan the day, things to do etc before the game, much appreciated!

You should have a great time! And if you haven't been back to the campus in 10 years, you may wonder if you are in the right place.

I would take a look at this website, and see what things might interest you:

When I go back for a game I personally try to get there on Friday morning so we have enough time to do the things we want during the trip (for example, making the bookstore pilgrimage on Friday when it isn't so crowded), but if you cannot make it until game day, you will have a lot to pack into a short time. At least it is a night game, so you will have more time. Trumpets Under the Dome and the Marching Band March Out are always popular.

So you were there in 2013? Honestly, not much has changed since then. A couple restaurants changed on Eddy St. a few new houses and apartments.

Buy the tickets.

I say it depends on how many tix you want to buy and how much you care about seating. If you want to be with 8 people and sit lower level ND side at the 50, then you better buy them now. If it's just you, then I think you can afford to wait closer to game day. You just might not have a lot of options when it comes to seating. The catch is prices usually come down, but the seating options are fewer, as well. That's been my experience as a ticket buyer.

I say it depends on how many tix you want to buy and how much you care about seating. If you want to be with 8 people and sit lower level ND side at the 50, then you better buy them now. If it's just you, then I think you can afford to wait closer to game day. You just might not have a lot of options when it comes to seating. The catch is prices usually come down, but the seating options are fewer, as well. That's been my experience as a ticket buyer.
I have not once had tickets until game day and sometimes only shortly before the game. I had been 10 years plus in a row, sometimes for two games pre COVID-19. I have not been since but likely will be there this year and possibly for Ohio State .Yes larger groups together very hard to come by especially as ND raised prices and old time season ticket holders often would give up two seats and keep two. 4 together or 6, 8 harder to come by than in years past....my resident scalper Big Jeff (hope he is still around with his health and digital tickets) would take my order on Friday early afternoon when I arrive and usually text or call me with what he has available as the night and day of game progresses. I would then leave my tailgate and walk out to meet him in front of O'Rourke's and get the tickets or sometimes he would walk in to deliver them to me. I have sat everywhere from beside the students down low end zone, to first row behind the Stanford bench beside a Billionaire (his private pilot sold his extras to Big Jeff) to the new club seats with free booze and food. Always tickets.

I always told him where I wanted to sit and amount I was willing to pay and he went out and sourced them. Now....if everything is online now I suggest waiting until mid afternoon gane day and have two or three ticket sights on your phone, SeatGeek, GameTime and StubHub etc. I recently grabbed some Morgan Wallen tickets at Ohio Stadium for significantly under face value.

Reactions: baron100
I have not once had tickets until game day and sometimes only shortly before the game. I had been 10 years plus in a row, sometimes for two games pre COVID-19. I have not been since but likely will be there this year and possibly for Ohio State .Yes larger groups together very hard to come by especially as ND raised prices and old time season ticket holders often would give up two seats and keep two. 4 together or 6, 8 harder to come by than in years past....my resident scalper Big Jeff (hope he is still around with his health and digital tickets) would take my order on Friday early afternoon when I arrive and usually text or call me with what he has available as the night and day of game progresses. I would then leave my tailgate and walk out to meet him in front of O'Rourke's and get the tickets or sometimes he would walk in to deliver them to me. I have sat everywhere from beside the students down low end zone, to first row behind the Stanford bench beside a Billionaire (his private pilot sold his extras to Big Jeff) to the new club seats with free booze and food. Always tickets.

I always told him where I wanted to sit and amount I was willing to pay and he went out and sourced them. Now....if everything is online now I suggest waiting until mid afternoon gane day and have two or three ticket sights on your phone, SeatGeek, GameTime and StubHub etc. I recently grabbed some Morgan Wallen tickets at Ohio Stadium for significantly under face value.
Sounds like you are a party of one(You use the word "I" 8 times...). One ticket is a completely different conversation, as opposed to people who travel iacross the country, as many do, and in larger groups, and want anywhere from 4-8 tickets together.

So you were there in 2013? Honestly, not much has changed since then. A couple restaurants changed on Eddy St. a few new houses and apartments.

Buy the tickets.
Yup not much has changed….

Well except for the $460M stadium expansion, the addition of the Irish Athletics Center, another hotel at the edge of campus, Eddy street being extended another 2 streets, the addition of 4 halls - Dunne dorm, Baumer dorm, Flaherty dorm, Johnson dorm, the rerouting of Twickenham road, and new rules post Covid for tours and band displays….it’s all the same !

Well except for the $460M stadium expansion, the addition of the Irish Athletics Center, another hotel at the edge of campus, Eddy street being extended another 2 streets, the addition of 4 halls - Dunne dorm, Baumer dorm, Flaherty dorm, Johnson dorm, the rerouting of Twickenham road, and new rules post Covid for tours and band displays….it’s all the same !

The stadium changes really aren’t impressive at all, just classrooms built into the side of a stadium (looks weird actually). Nobody sees the athletic center. One hotel that blends in and just looks like a brick building. The two extra streets are apartments with no retail space so nobody goes down there nor cares. The dorms must not stand out as I’ve been to campus 100x’s since then and don’t even know what you’re talking about. Nobody cares about Covid besides like .05% of people who are weird or want attention for continuing to mask. That said, I’ve heard they are going to put a new Eddy on the north side of campus off Douglas. That would be a big deal.

The stadium changes really aren’t impressive at all, just classrooms built into the side of a stadium (looks weird actually). Nobody sees the athletic center. One hotel that blends in and just looks like a brick building. The two extra streets are apartments with no retail space so nobody goes down there nor cares. The dorms must not stand out as I’ve been to campus 100x’s since then and don’t even know what you’re talking about. Nobody cares about Covid besides like .05% of people who are weird or want attention for continuing to mask. That said, I’ve heard they are going to put a new Eddy on the north side of campus off Douglas. That would be a big deal.
Lol. Ok, so you should have said that nothing you care about has changed…even though the campus and surrounding area has changed significantly in last 10 years. Not all the fans hang out at the Linebacker like you do

The suites are pretty nice. You should look into the practice center. It’s an extra hotel literally 1000 yards from the stadium, so a big deal. I didn’t opine on the Covid rules but it has changed trumpets and step off and midnite drummer as well as tunnel tours and player walk

And we know you haven’t been on campus 15x total in your life, so stop the BS

Sounds like you are a party of one(You use the word "I" 8 times...). One ticket is a completely different conversation, as opposed to people who travel iacross the country, as many do, and in larger groups, and want anywhere from 4-8 tickets together.
Usually a group of 4, 8 or 12. 4 together is usually not a problem just not as easy as it used to be. 8 or 12 together I agree is a different story but 4 together is not a huge issue.

Embarrassing.

Often times values for tickets go down before the game but this is one of the two biggest games of the season at home coupled with the fact OSU hasn’t come to South Bend since 1996. I didn’t mess around and got tickets in March. Since then, the prices have continued to soar. I fully expect the price point to climb closer to kickoff rather than diminish. I’d try and score tickets asap.
Yeah and since both teams will most likely be unbeaten going in, expecting prices to go higher. I'm buying for a group of 5 as well so buying now makes sense

Wow thats crazy. I lived in Keough Hall, had no idea about all the new dorms since. Expecting it to be quite the change! I'm trying to get in early on game day. What do you recommend and as "must see" before the game?

Wow thats crazy. I lived in Keough Hall, had no idea about all the new dorms since. Expecting it to be quite the change! I'm trying to get in early on game day. What do you recommend and as "must see" before the game?
They also put a sitting area by St Mary’s Lake, so worth at least walking by when near the grotto. The dome is being regilded so a bit crowded there. Check out the Duncan student center, Compton rink, and the new bldgs and any of the new bldgs on the Debartolo Quad

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT