ADVERTISEMENT

ND #13 in coaches poll

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
I know some JA is going to say poles don’t matter, I get that. But this is at least a good jumping off point. I’m sure the AP poll will be about the same but at least we know where we stand.

If you don’t like the preseason polls no need to reply.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I know some JA is going to say poles don’t matter, I get that. But this is at least a good jumping off point. I’m sure the AP poll will be about the same but at least we know where we stand.

Well....Im going to replay anyway. Preseason polls are absolutely useless, no polls till 4-5 week of season. Its all speculation and hype at this point, its meaningless. Lets see results after first month of season and put a little thought into the polls before we vote as cheerleaders!

Reactions: Airzee23
It doesn't matter where you start! Only where you finish! Win and your position will take care of itself!!! 50-14 Irish over Navy

Truth be told, the only poll that matters is the first 4-team playoff committee poll in late October.

What I like about the NFL is that there are none of these bullshit polls.

I enjoy the polls. They are a discussion piece. I don't get why people cry about them and everything

I tend to rely on Vegas rather than the polls which have inherent built in biases.

I tend to rely on Vegas rather than the polls which have inherent built in biases.

The Vegas college football preseason "odds" are just a money grab. Anytime you can't bet the opposite proposition, then you know it is a sucker's bet.

The Vegas college football preseason "odds" are just a money grab. Anytime you can't bet the opposite proposition, then you know it is a sucker's bet.
You’re wrong, you can bet on who will win the College Football Championship, Vegas gives you the odds

Correct. Vegas is all about public perception, odds are based on equal money from both sides.

Correct. Vegas is all about public perception, odds are based on equal money from both sides.
I don’t think that you know how the Vegas oddsmakers operate when it comes to setting odds and lines.

There is no “equal money“ on odds bets.

If Alabama is 30 to 1 to win the CFP, and USC is 40 to 1 and ND is 50 to 1, there is no “equal money“ or offsetting money for each betting proposition.

As to “equal money” on each game, while that’s the ultimate objective, the difficulty in achieving that goal is the setting of the opening line.

Since Vegas has yet to develop Kreskin like abilities, they can’t read the betting public’s mind when it comes to predicting what the betting public thinks the spread should be.

Hence, there’s essentially a formula, now probably an algorithm, that determines where Vegas thinks the line should be.

As the betting money flows in, the line is adjusted to try to achieve “equal money”
But each line represents a separate betting pool.

There is no inherent bias in establishing lines as Vegas’s only interest is making money and they don’t care who wins and losses.

I don’t think that you know how the Vegas oddsmakers operate when it comes to setting odds and lines.

There is no “equal money“ on odds bets.

If Alabama is 30 to 1 to win the CFP, and USC is 40 to 1 and ND is 50 to 1, there is no “equal money“ or offsetting money for each betting proposition.

As to “equal money” on each game, while that’s the ultimate objective, the difficulty in achieving that goal is the setting of the opening line.

Since Vegas has yet to develop Kreskin like abilities, they can’t read the betting public’s mind when it comes to predicting what the betting public thinks the spread should be.

Hence, there’s essentially a formula, now probably an algorithm, that determines where Vegas thinks the line should be.

As the betting money flows in, the line is adjusted to try to achieve “equal money”
But each line represents a separate betting pool.

There is no inherent bias in establishing lines as Vegas’s only interest is making money and they don’t care who wins and losses.
Dude. Don't bother.

Stay in your lane.

Dude. Don't bother.

Stay in your lane.
I’m in my lane and I know that what I stated is accurate.

But since you chose to challenge me, tell us how Vegas sets the opening line.

Thanks

I’m in my lane and I know that what I stated is accurate.

But since you chose to challenge me, tell us how Vegas sets the opening line.

Thanks
If 99% of the money comes in on Alabama to win at 30/1, do you think that line will stay the same? No. It will move to 10/1, 5/1 so their risk is mitigated on Bama winning and bettors move to teams with better pay outs. So the question for you, when the line changes, which one do you hold as truth? And can’t you conclude there is bias in the Vegas betting lines, financial bias based on where the public is putting their money?

If 99% of the money comes in on Alabama to win at 30/1, do you think that line will stay the same? No. It will move to 10/1, 5/1 so their risk is mitigated on Bama winning and bettors move to teams with better pay outs. So the question for you, when the line changes, which one do you hold as truth? And can’t you conclude there is bias in the Vegas betting lines, financial bias based on where the public is putting their money?
Evidently you didn’t read my post very carefully and evidently you don’t understand the segregation of betting pools when lines move.

First, your hypothetical example is extreme and absurd.

But, if Alabama was at 30 to 1 to win the NC and the money began coming in at 99 % on Alabama, a new separate line might be created. If the line moved to 10 to 1 that would be a totally separate betting pool that has nothing to do with the 30 to 1 betting pool.
Hence, the risk incurred in the 30 to 1 betting pool is not mitigated.

There is no “truth“ in any line, only a numerical estimate on who will win the game and by how many points.

NO, I can‘t conclude that there is an inherent bias in Vegas’s setting of the opening and subsequent lines.

The betting public only puts their money down AFTER Vegas has set the opening line.

A shift in the opening line is purely based on simple math/dollarvolume, not bias.
You sound like a SJW in claiming that there’s an inherent bias in Vegas’s setting of the lines.

P.S. Years ago, if ND was playing USC, the point spread could be different in L.A. and Chicago

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT