ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA proposal of new subdivision for D1.

Have they lost their minds. Imagine the NFL without a salary cap. This is exactly what A&M and Miami have been doing except now it is illegal.
All of us wanted the NCAA to curb restrictions instead they lit a fire under it with a no cap linit forcing schools into the subdivision.
Highest bidder mentality will turn college into a semi pro league. I imagine the NFL is not to happy about it

Have they lost their minds. Imagine the NFL without a salary cap. This is exactly what A&M and Miami have been doing except now it is illegal.
All of us wanted the NCAA to curb restrictions instead they lit a fire under it with a no cap linit forcing schools into the subdivision.
Highest bidder mentality will turn college into a semi pro league. I imagine the NFL is not to happy about it
The NFL could go scratch, It's because of the NFL refusing to create a farm system similar to Baseball that we are in this position. Instead they've been living off of College footballs tit.

Imagine if the NFL had a farm system and high school recruits had a choice to go to the NFL farm system or college. I honestly don't believe college football would be in as big a mess as it is today.

Can I opt out? Honestly.....want to play pro ball? Go find a league. Look...if players are being paid then I am fine with it if they sign a contract. No more of this transfer when ever you wish B.S.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Can I opt out? Honestly.....want to play pro ball? Go find a league. Look...if players are being paid then I am fine with it if they sign a contract. No more of this transfer when ever you wish B.S.

One year contracts. Similar to one year scholarships.

Looks like the administration at ND may have to make a decision as to which way they are going to go should this proposal get implemented.

As integrity flies out the door.
savvyandsassier was right about the corrupt money flowing in and wrecking the game, but wrong about this being capitalism.
This is wildest bullshit

Reactions: HarlemIrish
The other alternative is to stop making money using the athletes playing the games. That's not going to happen. They are making money off the athletes and refusing to pay them. It's not "illegal." It's a violation of some stupid ****ing rules that never should have been rules without there also being rules to prevent exploitation. The players need to be paid, and that's it. Accept it.

The other alternative is to stop making money using the athletes playing the games. That's not going to happen. They are making money off the athletes and refusing to pay them. It's not "illegal." It's a violation of some stupid ****ing rules that never should have been rules without there also being rules to prevent exploitation. The players need to be paid, and that's it. Accept it.
Using?
Aren't they getting a college degree?
Won't they be making more money off their degree..
How are they being exploded?
I get you like the idea of destroying the game because you believe the players are slave labor, or something like that
You want to know whose being exploded?
IT'S THE FANBASE.
we aren't making a penny off this, but being forced to pay more the watch players jump ship every year, or just decide to not play because it hurts them from making more money?
I don't watch the NFL because of the crap
How about there not be so much money made off the games.?
Cap it!
Prevent the greed from destroying the last landscape of football before the clown show league non as the NFL?
Is that hard to grasp?

Last edited:
Reactions: DieHard_Irish
Using?
Aren't they getting a college degree?
Won't they be making more money off their degree..
How are they being exploded?
I get you like the idea of destroying the game because you believe the players are slave labor, or something like that
You want to know whose being exploded?
IT'S THE FANBASE.
we aren't making a penny off this, but being forced to pay more the watch players jump ship every year, or just decide to not play because it hurts them from making more money?
I don't watch the NFL because of the crap
How about there not be so much money made off the games.?
Cap it!
Prevent the greed from destroying the last landscape of football before the clown show league non as the NFL?
Is fhatvti hard to grasp?
A college degree isn't compensation for the billions being made off of their NIL. Yes, using. You know, using their NIL to promote the games. Making usage of such.

A college degree isn't compensation for the billions being made off of their NIL. Yes, using. You know, using their NIL to promote the games. Making usage of such.
Muli billions you say? This is going to be fun.
So instead of capping the money to prevent the corrosion of the game that we are seeing in just it's first year you prefer it spreading it around.
Ok i can see that, but how to address:
Are students employees, and how do you tax this?
Are these 1099 or actual employees of the university and if so do they get medical benefits,401k options ect?
If the athletes earn more than the cost of an annual tuition do they pay for it
How does it get distribute it meaning does the unsung likeman who opens up that hole for the superstar RB, protect the Heisman QB to get it to the best receiver on the team whose names are in all the papers get the same share?
Does money from the taxpayers these universities receive go towards any M
scholarships, and if so does that stop?
Do sports which athletes don't turn a profit benefit?
How does THE FAN benefit as they watch players jump from team to team, or watch the player whose made a bank roll of cash just sit it so they can make another multi-million, because in the end bragging rights were the fans reward and now that's in jeopardy and at the mercy of the mind set of someone whose barley old enough to vote?
And finally how long before a union is formed (and this will be the death nail)?

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
So instead of capping the money to prevent the corrosion of the game that we are seeing in just it's first year you prefer it spreading it around.
Are these 1099 or actual employees of the university and if so do they get medical benefits,401k options ect?
How does it get distribute it meaning does the unsung likeman who opens up that hole for the superstar RB, protect the Heisman QB to get it to the best receiver on the team whose names are in all the papers get the same share?
How does THE FAN benefit as they watch players jump from team to team, or watch the player whose made a bank roll of cash just sit it so they can make another multi-million, because in the end bragging rights were the fans reward and now that's in jeopardy and at the mercy of the mind set of someone whose barley old enough to vote?
And finally how long before a union is formed (and this will be the death nail)?
Who is going to cap the money made by the networks?

Oh, it's death KNELL.

Who is going to cap the money made by the networks?

Oh, it's death KNELL.
You don't cap the networks. You cap the allotment.
The idea is to not make those getting a scholarship not to feel like slave labor and still get a degree
I see you glossed over the other issues

As integrity flies out the door.
savvyandsassier was right about the corrupt money flowing in and wrecking the game, but wrong about this being capitalism.
This is wildest bullshit
I don't know if it's corrupt per se. It certainly can be, but it's more that it's so reckless and destructive. I guess you can have capitalism, and private property and whatnot, but just figure out a way to do what you need to do, without wreaking so much havoc on cherished institutions in society like appropriately regional D-1 football conferences. Other countries manage to preserve important shit, even though there's money at stake. And they're capitalist.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
The NFL could go scratch, It's because of the NFL refusing to create a farm system similar to Baseball that we are in this position. Instead they've been living off of College footballs tit.

Imagine if the NFL had a farm system and high school recruits had a choice to go to the NFL farm system or college. I honestly don't believe college football would be in as big a mess as it is today.
Blaming the NFL for the current situation that the NCAA themselves have created is silly. Using baseball as an example is apples and oranges.

What is occurring right now is a direct result of the NCAA sticking their collective heads in the sand when the first rumblings of NIL started years ago. I was involved then and I am now in my new position. What started as a simple matter of a scholarship athlete wanting the same opportunities as any other student on scholarship has exploded in a way no one had foreseen. Blaming the athletes is ridiculous. It's not their fault that their initial concerns have spiraled out of control. The NCAA let the courts decide instead of being proactive in the beginning. Their continued sham of " amateurism" while sucking on the teat of the networks is quite amusing.

What is occurring right now is a direct result of the NCAA sticking their collective heads in the sand when the first rumblings of NIL started years ago. I was involved then and I am now in my new position. What started as a simple matter of a scholarship athlete wanting the same opportunities as any other student on scholarship has exploded in a way no one had foreseen. Blaming the athletes is ridiculous. It's not their fault that their initial concerns have spiraled out of control. The NCAA let the courts decide instead of being proactive in the beginning. Their continued sham of " amateurism" while sucking on the teat of the networks is quite amusing.
I do agree with a great deal of your post, but these same athletes from when the bowls began never thought of themselves above the team prior to the past few years.

Maybe, the NCAA has a covering their ass by creating this division making them more attractive than the SEC and the big.

Reactions: buckey
I do agree with a great deal of your post, but these same athletes from when the bowls began never thought of themselves above the team prior to the past few years.
While true the stakes weren't nearly the same then. The dynamic has changed. The playoff has rendered the other bowls pretty inconsequential.

I don't know if it's corrupt per se. It certainly can be, but it's more that it's so reckless and destructive. I guess you can have capitalism, and private property and whatnot, but just figure out a way to do what you need to do, without wreaking so much havoc on cherished institutions in society like appropriately regional D-1 football conferences. Other countries manage to preserve important shit, even though there's money at stake. And they're capitalist.
Very good post

You are looking at my post so narrowly.
This game is not inconsequential to me

You are looking at my post so narrowly.
This game is not inconsequential to me
Completely understandable but my experiences are that players and coaches have a different viewpoint. Coaches are much more focused on the extra practice time . Players who opt on are being practical. No one should question their passion for the game. They couldn't get to the precipice of being drafted without it. In the big picture the outcome of the Sun Bowl good or bad will have little to no effect on the 2024 season.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Completely understandable but my experiences are that players and coaches have a different viewpoint. Coaches are much more focused on the extra practice time . Players who opt on are being practical. No one should question their passion for the game. They couldn't get to the precipice of being drafted without it. In the big picture the outcome of the Sun Bowl good or bad will have little to no effect on the 2024 season.

How many players are opting out in the playoffs?

Maybe, the NCAA has a covering their ass by creating this division making them more attractive than the SEC and the big.
This new division is going to be for the money rich schools, aka members of both the SEC, BIG, and ND if they so choose to move in that direction.

It really bothers me that people want to use playing in a bowl game or not as a means to bring into question a player's love for the game, respect and love for teammates, and appreciation for the fans. For once, I wish people would just let these kids decide what is best for themselves and their families without acting like they have a vested interest in it.

It really bothers me that people want to use playing in a bowl game or not as a means to bring into question a player's love for the game, respect and love for teammates, and appreciation for the fans. For once, I wish people would just let these kids decide what is best for themselves and their families without acting like they have a vested interest in it.
First -these are not kids
Second -if banter bothers you it's time to take a break.
Third -where would this institution be without fans, and fans have a vested interest you should know that if you are one
Fourth -our banter doesn't effect these youngmens decisions in anyway

To me, all of this is a slow downward spiral of college football and most fans are too ignorant to see or care about what is happening.

Players should not be paid, period. If they do get paid, they should forfeit a portion of, or all of their financial assistance, dependent on their reported income. So right now, you have kids getting a full ride to college because of their athletic gift, and then getting paid on top of it? While I know this is a football discussion, I can't help but think how unfair this is to other collegiate athletes who get little to nothing. I get it, the Universities are making millions off of the performances of these kids. But lets be honest here, these so called "kids" have always known what they were signing up for. A vast majority of your top recruit's are not committing to play football at these schools just for the free education. No, they are doing so with aspirations of playing in the NFL and making millions. The degree they earn is their insurance plan if they don't make it to the next level or heaven forbid suffer a career ending injury.

Bowl games? Meh. I kind of miss the old days before the BCS, etc. The Bowls were fun, felt like they had meaning, regardless if you were in the title hunt or not. I remember ND games in the early 90s, the Orange against Colorado, the big blowout win against florida in the sugar bowl, or the couple of intense games against A&M in the Cotten bowl. As a fan, title hopes or not, I wanted to kick the crap out of those teams in those games. Todays bowls, not so much. Too many bowls with zero meaning for fans. I do understand the extra practices, etc. Good for the program as a whole. I also am looking forward to the expanded playoffs as that at least gives additional games a real meaning.

Paying players, dividing up college football, etc., in my opinion is the beginning of the end. Its losing it luster. The storied traditions, pagentry, all of it... could be gone one day soon or simply not mean anything to anyone anymore. What I have always loved about CFB compared to the NFL is that these kids made a decision to come to school and play for a university because it was the best fit for themselves, their family and their future. The decided to play for a school because it gave them the best opportunity at a college education AND the prospect of making it to the NFL. The NFL... you get drafted and guess what... sorry if you don't like the town of cleveland.. but that company now owns you for a while. Talk about exploitation!

Reactions: deadirishpoet
To me, all of this is a slow downward spiral of college football and most fans are too ignorant to see or care about what is happening.

Players should not be paid, period. If they do get paid, they should forfeit a portion of, or all of their financial assistance, dependent on their reported income. So right now, you have kids getting a full ride to college because of their athletic gift, and then getting paid on top of it? While I know this is a football discussion, I can't help but think how unfair this is to other collegiate athletes who get little to nothing. I get it, the Universities are making millions off of the performances of these kids. But lets be honest here, these so called "kids" have always known what they were signing up for. A vast majority of your top recruit's are not committing to play football at these schools just for the free education. No, they are doing so with aspirations of playing in the NFL and making millions. The degree they earn is their insurance plan if they don't make it to the next level or heaven forbid suffer a career ending injury.

Bowl games? Meh. I kind of miss the old days before the BCS, etc. The Bowls were fun, felt like they had meaning, regardless if you were in the title hunt or not. I remember ND games in the early 90s, the Orange against Colorado, the big blowout win against florida in the sugar bowl, or the couple of intense games against A&M in the Cotten bowl. As a fan, title hopes or not, I wanted to kick the crap out of those teams in those games. Todays bowls, not so much. Too many bowls with zero meaning for fans. I do understand the extra practices, etc. Good for the program as a whole. I also am looking forward to the expanded playoffs as that at least gives additional games a real meaning.

Paying players, dividing up college football, etc., in my opinion is the beginning of the end. Its losing it luster. The storied traditions, pagentry, all of it... could be gone one day soon or simply not mean anything to anyone anymore. What I have always loved about CFB compared to the NFL is that these kids made a decision to come to school and play for a university because it was the best fit for themselves, their family and their future. The decided to play for a school because it gave them the best opportunity at a college education AND the prospect of making it to the NFL. The NFL... you get drafted and guess what... sorry if you don't like the town of cleveland.. but that company now owns you for a while. Talk about exploitation!
Wait for the idea unionized to be taken seriously

• Angry
Reactions: Irish_inPSU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT