ADVERTISEMENT

Football Names to know in Notre Dame's wide receivers coach search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
I could put together a longer list of names that are intriguing, but I'd rather keep this list short and expand as we learn of more names to monitor.

Right now, we're watching two names in Notre Dame's search for a wide receivers coach: Wisconsin's Mike Brown and Washington's JaMarcus Shephard.

I shared Brown's name on the board yesterday afternoon. He was the first name floated my way. His first job as a wide receivers coach was at Cincinnati in 2019. He was promoted to passing game coordinator in 2022. Then he followed Luke Fickell to Wisconsin this year as associate head coach/wide receivers coach. He worked closely with Notre Dame quarterbacks coach Gino Guidugli when they were both at CIncinnati and was on the coaching staff for a couple years when Marcus Freeman was defensive coordinator.

Wisconsin's passing game didn't exactly light it up this past season. It's leading receiver, Will Pauling, followed the staff from Cincinnati and caught 66 passes for 694 yards and four touchdowns. The headline items on Brown's résumé are his work with three NFL Draft picks at Cincinnati: 2022 second-rounder Alec Pierce, 2023 third-rounder Tre Tucker and 2023 fourth-rounder Tyler Scott.

Shephard is a name we should all be familiar with, because he interviewed for the job in 2022 when Chansi Stuckey was hired. Things have certainly worked out for him at Washington, where he took a job in 2022 after coaching at Purdue. Rome Odunze (73 catches, 1,326 yards, 13 TDs) is a Biletnikoff Award finalist. Ja'Lynn Polk (55-943-8) is having a big year. And Jalen McMillan (25-337-3) is very talented but has missed time due to injury.

Shephard is an Indiana guy. He was born and raised in Fort Wayne. He went to college at the wonderful institution of DePauw University. But returning to his home state might not be a strong enough pull. He's currently the associate head coach/passing game coordinator/wide receivers coach at Washington. He's making $800,000 this year. And he seems likely to be the next offensive coordinator for Washington if/when Ryan Grubb moves on. So Notre Dame might need to a combination of lucrative pay and job title responsibility to make a serious run at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News