ADVERTISEMENT

Morning after rant

DieHard_Irish

Posts Like A Champion
Aug 27, 2010
Once again we find ourselves snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and then left with a "moral" victory; "something to build on" well I say bullshit to that. I've probably spent in the neighborhood of $80k attending ND games annually since I left campus in 79'; but since the 93' game, against BC, we've never recovered. David Gordon sent this program realing. Multiple coaches, Multiple coordinators, we continue to find ways to lose. The CFB landscape has changed dramatically and I am of the realization that we will forever be a 2nd tier program. We no longer have recruiting advantages, or even home field advantages. The current players are 10 years removed from even being born the last time we actually competed for a national championship. It is past time that we join a conference and give these kids something to play for, because realistically speaking even 11 - 1, without a CCG, probably doesn't get us in the CFP. Why not compete for all three, an undefeated season, a Conference Championship and a National Championship. Yeah I know, the grey beards (of which I'm one) hate this talk, but other than financially (which may not be true), we no longer derive any benefit from being independent. Last night was a heart breaking loss which probably leaves out there only a New Years Six bowl for us, but who really cares about that anymore, most top players sit out anyway. Again we should give this kids something to play for, and let them start building a new history

Last edited:
Once again we find ourselves snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and then left with a "moral" victory; "something to build on" well I say bullshit to that. I've probably spent in the neighborhood of $80k attending ND games annually since I left campus in 79'; but since the 93' game, against BC, we've never recovered. David Gordon sent this program realing. Multiple coaches, Multiple coordinators, we continue to find ways to lose. The CFB landscape has changed dramatically and I am of the realization that we will forever be a 2nd tier program. We no longer have recruiting advantages, or even home field advantages. The current players are 10 years removed from even being born the last time we actually competed for a national championship. It is past time that we join a conference and give these kids something to play for, because realistically speaking even 11 - 1, without a CCG, probably doesn't get us in the CFP. Why not compete for both all three, an undefeated season, a Conference Championship and a National Championship. Yeah I know, the grey beards (of which I'm one) hate this talk, but other than financially (which may not be true), we no longer derive any benefit from being independent. Last night was a heart breaking loss which probably leaves out there a New Years Six bowl, but who really cares about that anymore, most top players sit out anyway. Again we should give this kids something to play for, and start building a new history

Sounds like you did more tossing than sleeping bud!

I say absolutely no to the conference. WE CAN compete, but we need a competent coaching staff. The errors down the stretch were devastating. I always worry about the players blowing it, but I should’ve been worried about the staff blowing it. The kids just completely mauled OSU into submission. They did their jobs

I say absolutely no to the conference. WE CAN compete, but we need a competent coaching staff. The errors down the stretch were devastating. I always worry about the players blowing it, but I should’ve been worried about the staff blowing it. The kids just completely mauled OSU into submission. They did their jobs
The moment was too big for the ND coaching staff but not the players. The OC and DC totally screwed the pooch in the last 2 minutes of the game. And their coaching collapse cost ND a huge win in a game ND clearly should have won. Extremely frustrating

The moment was too big for the ND coaching staff but not the players. The OC and DC totally screwed the pooch in the last 2 minutes of the game. And their coaching collapse cost ND a huge win in a game ND clearly should have won. Extremely frustrating

100% with you brother. The kids did their jobs!

Queue John L Smith before half against OSU! He said it best

I'm not talking about competing last night, I'm talking about seasons ending prematurely with realistically nothing to play for. These kids aren't stupid, they know their realistic chance of making the CFP, without a CCG, is a stretch. The landscape has changed so dramatically that conference affiliation is damn near inevitable. I'm not at all sure why we continue to fight this. I mean for who, us? Grey beards who want to hold onto the glory days? What are the athletic advantages of remaining independent?? List them, please

I'm not talking about competing last night, I'm talking about seasons ending prematurely with realistically nothing to play for. These kids aren't stupid, they know their realistic chance of making the CFP, without a CCG, is a stretch. The landscape has changed so dramatically that conference affiliation is damn near inevitable. I'm not at all sure why we continue to fight this. I mean for who, us? Grey beards who want to hold onto the glory days? What are the athletic advantages of remaining independent?? List them, please

I hear you. If remaining scheduled teams can stay at or improve our SOS and we win out, I can see us making it. It’s a long shot, I know. A VERY VERY VERY unnecessary long shot due to our Coaching Staff

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The expansion of the CFP to 12 teams negates the need to join a conference, and I feel your pain !

Once again we find ourselves snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, and then left with a "moral" victory; "something to build on" well I say bullshit to that. I've probably spent in the neighborhood of $80k attending ND games annually since I left campus in 79'; but since the 93' game, against BC, we've never recovered. David Gordon sent this program realing. Multiple coaches, Multiple coordinators, we continue to find ways to lose. The CFB landscape has changed dramatically and I am of the realization that we will forever be a 2nd tier program. We no longer have recruiting advantages, or even home field advantages. The current players are 10 years removed from even being born the last time we actually competed for a national championship. It is past time that we join a conference and give these kids something to play for, because realistically speaking even 11 - 1, without a CCG, probably doesn't get us in the CFP. Why not compete for all three, an undefeated season, a Conference Championship and a National Championship. Yeah I know, the grey beards (of which I'm one) hate this talk, but other than financially (which may not be true), we no longer derive any benefit from being independent. Last night was a heart breaking loss which probably leaves out there only a New Years Six bowl for us, but who really cares about that anymore, most top players sit out anyway. Again we should give this kids something to play for, and let them start building a new history
I absolutely feel your pain in your post. I think all of do. As a friend of mine says “ a fog rolled into Notre Dame stadium on the fateful night in November 1993 and hasn’t left since”. Even with some of the big wins since that BC game, I never felt ND was back. Last night I had a friend whose daughter goes to Ohio st. She text after the 4th down stop at 4 plus minute left mark. “ Well it doesn’t look like it’s our year” I text back and said “ I’ve seen this play too many times, it ain’t over until it’s over “. As it turned out my gut feeling was right. Somehow you knew when OSU got the ball with 1:26 left , they were going to pull it out. It is really uncanny how ND consistently loses these games. Will it ever change? Maybe. But in order for it to change they need elite players throughout their roster. Fact. Missed opportunities and poor coaching decisions in the final 2:30 cost them the game. Go Irish !!!

Win out and you have a very strong chance of making the playoff at 11-1. If USC wins the PAC, you will have a win over the champion of the toughest conference. That will count for something.

Lotta ball left to play...

The expansion of the CFP to 12 teams negates the need to join a conference, and I feel your pain !

At present, isn’t it impossible for ND to earn a bye week (starting in 2024)? That alone warrants discussion as to whether or not ND should join a conference.

I absolutely feel your pain in your post. I think all of do. As a friend of mine says “ a fog rolled into Notre Dame stadium on the fateful night in November 1993 and hasn’t left since”. Even with some of the big wins since that BC game, I never felt ND was back. Last night I had a friend whose daughter goes to Ohio st. She text after the 4th down stop at 4 plus minute left mark. “ Well it doesn’t look like it’s our year” I text back and said “ I’ve seen this play too many times, it ain’t over until it’s over “. As it turned out my gut feeling was right. Somehow you knew when OSU got the ball with 1:26 left , they were going to pull it out. It is really uncanny how ND consistently loses these games. Will it ever change? Maybe. But in order for it to change they need elite players throughout their roster. Fact. Missed opportunities and poor coaching decisions in the final 2:30 cost them the game. Go Irish !!!
This loss had nothing to do with the roster !

This loss had nothing to do with the roster !
It was about closing the deal.
Brown dropped an interception and it hurt big time but the coaching mismanagement on both sides of the ball in final 2 minutes opened the door to OSU. When it should have been closed. They screwed up

Last edited:
We can still go 11-1. However, I think USC will actually be tougher than Ohio State, because of their offense.

Win out and you have a very strong chance of making the playoff at 11-1. If USC wins the PAC, you will have a win over the champion of the toughest conference. That will count for something.

Lotta ball left to play...

Exactly. I find some irony in the fact that a Wolverine fan is coming here to state what should be the obvious. I am as disappointed as anyone with last night's loss, and I understand that the way ND lost has exposed many frayed and raw nerves, but the number of so-called Notre Dame "fans" here who are giving up both on Marcus Freeman and the season would be funny if it weren't so ridiculous. We ARE turning things around. I am convinced of that. Yeah, last night was a step backward, and it was painful to snatch defeat from the jaws of vicotry yet again, but I have followed ND for nearly 70 years and am not giving up yet. For you guys that are, don't let the door slam on your ass on the way out.

It was about closing the deal.
Brown dropped an interception and it hurt big time but the coaching mismanagement on both sides of the ball in final 2 minutes opened the door to OSU. When it should have been closed. They screwed up
👍

I get you're frustrated, we all are, but next year this team MAKES the CFP at 11-1 as a 5 seed easily. They probably make the cfp as a 4 this year, a lot of football left to play.

Reactions: BGI User 756
I get you're frustrated, we all are, but next year this team MAKES the CFP at 11-1 as a 5 seed easily. They probably make the cfp as a 4 this year, a lot of football left to play.
I simply hope that the football Notre Dame has left to play that 11 players are on the field every single play, especially after a timeout, and especially on game deciding plays.

Reactions: NDinNJ
other than financially (which may not be true)
Which may not be true? Here’s the most recent financial-data refresher course for you. This is before the new NBC contract, which will be substantially greater than it is now.

Ohio St: Total Rev $246.6 (1). Football Rev $109.2 (7)
Texas: Total Rev $230.5 (2). Football Rev $161.5 (1)
Notre Dame: Total Rev $215.3 (3). Football Rev $136.7 (3)
Michigan: Total Rev $210.7 (4). Football Rev $131.4 (5)
Georgia: Total Rev $203 (5). Football Rev $156 (2)
LSU: Total Rev $199.3 (6). Football Rev $95.5 (12)
Penn St: Total Rev $193.6 (7). Football Rev $107.1 (8)
Alabama: Total Rev $193.2 (8). Football Rev $127.6 (6)
USC: Total Rev $187.7 (9). Football Rev $69.9 (26)
Oklahoma: Total Rev $186.9 (10). Football Rev $132.7 (4)
Florida: Total Rev $178 (11). Football Rev $93.2 (14)
Auburn: Total Rev $174.6 (12). Football Rev $106.7 (9)
A&M: Total Rev $169.2 (13). Football Rev $81.5 (19)
Indiana: Total Rev $165.5 (14). Football Rev $59.9 (30)
Florida St: Total Rev $162.1 (15). Football Rev $78.7 (21)
Stanford: Total Rev $156.6 (16). Football Rev $47.5 (33)
Arkansas: Total Rev $154.6 (17). Football Rev $84.6 (18)
Tennessee: Total Rev $152.7 (18). Football Rev $101 (10)
Kentucky: Total Rev $151.5 (19). Football Rev $37.7 (39)
Duke: Total Rev $150.5 (20). Football Rev $64.7 (28)
Iowa: Total Rev $150.4 (21). Football Rev $86.2 (17)
Miami (Fla): Total Rev $148.5 (22). Football Rev $74.2 (22)
Washington: Total Rev $145.2 (23). Football Rev $91 (15)
South Carolina: Total Rev $144.8 (24). Football Rev $63.8 (29)
Wisconsin: Total Rev $144 (25). Football Rev $88.7 (16)

Again we should give this kids something to play for, and let them start building a new history
Already done. The 2026 twelve-team play-off in set. Maybe your gray beard should consider exiting 1993 and joining 2023?

Reactions: BGI User 756
Which may not be true? Here’s the most recent financial-data refresher course for you. This is before the new NBC contract, which will be substantially greater than it is now.

Already done. The 2026 twelve-team play-off in set. Maybe your gray beard should consider exiting 1993 and joining 2023?
12 team playoff starts in 2024

Ah, ok, going 4 - 21 in top 10 games since 1994 is ok so long as we're making money, ok Gotcha

Last edited:
We win out, we are in the top 6. IN THE CONVERSATION! The conf championship argument will not matter next year

I simply hope that the football Notre Dame has left to play that 11 players are on the field every single play, especially after a timeout, and especially on game deciding plays.
Bonehead as they come

Ah, ok, going 4 - 21 in top 10 games since 1994 is ok so long as we're making money, ok Gotcha
I didn’t state or even imply that all is well as long as the money is rolling in. I did prove your questioning of ND’s financial position is false. You’re as lousy at spinning and deflecting as you are arguing.

We win out, we are in the top 6. IN THE CONVERSATION! The conf championship argument will not matter next year

No, it will still matter.

ND at 10-2, will be competing with teams that are 10-3 & 11-2. Generally, you will have an edge on the 10-3 teams and be behind the 11-2 teams.

No it won't. 10 and 2 with a Good schedule and we make it every year

You miss the point.

If ND is battling for the 12th slot, a team that has an extra conference game and win under their belt will still have the advantage. If they have an extra game and extra loss, that team will have the disadvantage.

The bar is just being moved from 4th best team to 12th best team. So a 9-3 ND may have to contend with 10-3 teams.

You miss the point.

If ND is battling for the 12th slot, a team that has an extra conference game and win under their belt will still have the advantage. If they have an extra game and extra loss, that team will have the disadvantage.

The bar is just being moved from 4th best team to 12th best team. So a 9-3 ND may have to contend with 10-3 teams.
If we are 9 and 3 we don't deserve the playoff anyway.

Its a non issue.

Go 10 and 2 or better and we are in the Playoff every year

Being in a conference for us is useless. We don't need it or want it

Reactions: Get Nasty
I didn’t state or even imply that all is well as long as the money is rolling in. I did prove your questioning of ND’s financial position is false. You’re as lousy at spinning and deflecting as you are arguing.

And I never questioned the health of their financial position, I said "which may not be true"; I said being independent doesn't necessarily help them as much anymore. They'd make plenty of money if being in a conference. There is little to no benefit, competitively speaking, to remain an independent; clearly an opinion you don't agree with.

Last edited:
And I never questioned the health of their financial position, I said "which may not be true"; I said being independent doesn't necessarily help them as much anymore. They'd make plenty of money if being in a conference. There is little to no benefit, competitively speaking, to remain an independent; clearly an opinion you don't agree with.
No Thank You.

No, it will still matter.

ND at 10-2, will be competing with teams that are 10-3 & 11-2. Generally, you will have an edge on the 10-3 teams and be behind the 11-2 teams.
You are assuming that every conference championship participant will have 1 loss going into that championship game. that's rarely the case except for maybe the SEC, but even now the SEC is a bit down.

A 10-2 ND gets in EVERY year in a 12 team playoff, and is most likely a top 5-6 team.

You are assuming that every conference championship participant will have 1 loss going into that championship game. that's rarely the case except for maybe the SEC, but even now the SEC is a bit down.

A 10-2 ND gets in EVERY year in a 12 team playoff, and is most likely a top 5-6 team.

I am assuming so such thing.

I am stating that some years, other teams having to play in conference championship games will help ND. Say ND is 13th, but teams 11 & 12 lose their conference championship games? They drop, and ND makes the playoff.

Other years, ND might be 12th, and a team behind them might win a conference championship game and jump ND.

I am no arguing "ND should join a conference!!". I am stating that not playing in conference championship games can both help or hurt ND.

I am assuming so such thing.

I am stating that some years, other teams having to play in conference championship games will help ND. Say ND is 13th, but teams 11 & 12 lose their conference championship games? They drop, and ND makes the playoff.

Other years, ND might be 12th, and a team behind them might win a conference championship game and jump ND.

I am no arguing "ND should join a conference!!". I am stating that not playing in conference championship games can both help or hurt ND.
No Thank You.

At present, isn’t it impossible for ND to earn a bye week (starting in 2024)? That alone warrants discussion as to whether or not ND should join a conference.

Yes, you are correct the way the 2024 and 2025 CFP is currently structured. Notre Dame can not receive any higher than a number 5 seed even if they go 12-0 with wins over Alabama, Ohio State, USC, Georgia, and the Pittsburgh Steelers.

If Vanderbilt wins the SEC and Rutgers wins the Big Ten with 10-2 records, and both are no worse than the fourth highest ranked Conference Champ, both will get byes and be seeded ahead of a 12-0 Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT