ADVERTISEMENT

Marist Liufau !

WOW, what a stupid comment. LBs should be making the most tackles on defense.
Okay….does that somehow disprove what I said? Both things can be true: LB’s should have the most tackles (not necessarily) and my opinion that they’re overrated as a statistic.

Maybe you should think before making your “stupid comment” remark.

Okay….does that somehow disprove what I said? Both things can be true: LB’s should have the most tackles (not necessarily) and my opinion that they’re overrated as a statistic.

Maybe you should think before making your “stupid comment” remark.
Tackles are overrated on defense like touchdowns are overrated on offense, SMH. So like I said "stupid"

Reactions: NIN Irish
As a Cowboy fan I can’t say this is a great pick. Marist’s activity level always seemed greater than his production. Maybe Cowboys see him as a contributor in the Sub Nickel package. Playing 2 years in an Al Golden defense will help him in his transition to the NFL. From a learning the playbook standpoint. The Clark Lea & Marcus Freeman defenses were Stupid Simple.

Tackles are overrated on defense like touchdowns are overrated on offense, SMH. So like I said "stupid"
As an individual player metric, yes, touchdowns are kind of overrated. Malik Nabers “only” had 3 touchdowns as a sophomore. It doesn’t mean anything. A LB making 3 tackles vs 11 doesn’t mean much without context even if it catches the eye.

There won't be a shake up in Dallas until Jerry dies or he swallows his ego and hires a real GM (which wont happen)
Jerry is getting desperate for another Lombardi; so I could see him being willing to hire someone like Parcells again
Read Bellicek

He's started 25 games the last 2 years as a linebacker. He only has 95 total tackles. That's less than 4 a game as a linebacker

And it's not due to lack of athleticism. It's his instincts. He doesn't diagnose things well. He's good attacking downhill but struggles elsewhere

Hes played 25 games in a row with no injuries. Thats not a concern for me
Unless he played with injuries.

• Haha
Reactions: Golson5
I thought Marist Liafau sucked? And he came in for so much shit on this board, for being a liability and someone who needed to be replaced, with all these weaknesses. And now he's drafted in the NFL, and likely to stick as a third-round pick no less. Nice....

P. Wilson had 138 tackles in one year, basically his is like a fifth safety on the field in a pass happy league. Everyone keep on harping about injuries, but he ran a 4.43 forty at the combine almost 6’4 inches at 235 lbs with a 34 inch vertical a total freak if he works out. The scary part is he has been clock at faster than 4.43 one cite had him at 4.38. He has no injuries in the last two years
Our boy ML has the NFL measurables for a linebacker and had to test out really well at a pro day or combine. He had flashes of brilliance and there were flashes of non brilliance.

P. Wilson had 138 tackles in one year, basically his is like a fifth safety on the field in a pass happy league. Everyone keep on harping about injuries, but he ran a 4.43 forty at the combine almost 6’4 inches at 235 lbs with a 34 inch vertical a total freak if he works out. The scary part is he has been clock at faster than 4.43 one cite had him at 4.38. He has no injuries in the last two years
Our boy ML has the NFL measurables for a linebacker and had to test out really well at a pro day or combine. He had flashes of brilliance and there were flashes of non brilliance.
Four surgeries; two on his knees and also two on his shoulders and also hammy problems
yeah someone you want around for sure

As an individual player metric, yes, touchdowns are kind of overrated. Malik Nabers “only” had 3 touchdowns as a sophomore. It doesn’t mean anything. A LB making 3 tackles vs 11 doesn’t mean much without context even if it catches the eye.
WOW, Im stumped. UR clueless

The point is Malik Nabers “only” scored 3 touchdowns in 2022. That doesn’t mean he was a bad receiver. If a LB gets 10 tackles in a game, it doesn’t automatically mean he played well.
No. But over a 25 game stretch it does matter

Having 3 tds in a season doesnt mean he had a bad year, I dont think anyone ever said that. But the name of the game is scoring more points than your opponents. A guy that gets the ball in the endzone does mean a ton.

No. But over a 25 game stretch it does matter

Having 3 tds in a season doesnt mean he had a bad year, I dont think anyone ever said that. But the name of the game is scoring more points than your opponents. A guy that gets the ball in the endzone does mean a ton.
I referenced Nabers to demonstrate that stats don’t automatically correlate. You wouldn’t site his lack of touchdowns in 2022 to say that he wasn’t good. That’s all I’m saying. Simple.

The same principle applies to tackles. 10 tackles in a game? It sounds good but it doesn’t automatically mean the LB had a good game.

In 2019, Owusu-Koramoah, Drew White, and Asmar Bilal finished with 80, 80, and 79 tackles respectively. Were they all equally as good as one another? Probably not.

I referenced Nabers to demonstrate that stats don’t automatically correlate. You wouldn’t site his lack of touchdowns in 2022 to say that he wasn’t good. That’s all I’m saying. Simple.

The same principle applies to tackles. 10 tackles in a game? It sounds good but it doesn’t automatically mean the LB had a good game.

In 2019, Owusu-Koramoah, Drew White, and Asmar Bilal finished with 80, 80, and 79 tackles respectively. Were they all equally as good as one another? Probably not.
When your looking at a LB, obviously first you have to watch the film. But in terms of stats, you look at tackles, tackles for loss and sacks to go along with turning the ball over

Over a 25 game stretch, you want to see some of those stats pop. His production never really did in any of those categories

When your looking at a LB, obviously first you have to watch the film. But in terms of stats, you look at tackles, tackles for loss and sacks to go along with turning the ball over

Over a 25 game stretch, you want to see some of those stats pop. His production never really did in any of those categories
You said it yourself. “First you have to watch the film.” That’s about all I’m saying. I don’t care if one LB had 8 tackles and the other had 4. It doesn’t mean anything.

Yes, it is a little odd that Kiser has more tackles than Liufau did over the season. I’ll concede that.

He was asked to blitz numerous times and never seemed to get to the QB. Don't get me wrong Im happy for the guy, just didn't see him going this high in draft.

He seemed to get his name called for do-nothing blitz, which was just 'Marist runs straight into offensive lineman and engages.'

• Haha
Reactions: Chitown11
Very well ? Couldn't disagree more. Great athletic ability but below average football player traits. Not an instinctual player at all. I'm shocked he went that high too. Good for him.
What do you know that the NFL doesn’t know ?

Has an NFL team hired you as their player evaluation coach. ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT