ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Scoop On Notre Dame Recruits In Ohio

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Are you ready to put your career in your own hands? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a member of BlueandGold.com and franchise veteran, having recently sold a franchise to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @FranchiseCoach

Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** The recruitment of Huber Heights (Ohio) Wayne class of 2022 offensive tackle Aamil Wagner is heating up and getting very interesting. While it's looked like a Notre Dame vs. Ohio State battle for a while, there's a lot of optimism picking up on the Kentucky side of things. It is believed that Kentucky is hiring his older brother, Ahmad, who is a former Wildcats' player, to be a grad assistant, and there's a big family feel for Aamil at UK.

*** Wagner's plan has been to not make a commitment until later this year. If he pushes up his timeline -- which may happen -- Kentucky might be the team to beat.. He visited there over the weekend too. Wagner still wants to visit Ohio State, Notre Dame and Penn State for games, though.

“Well, it depends,” Wagner said of a timeline. “Really looking for somewhere I feel comfortable. If I feel comfortable right after my visit, two weeks after my visit or a month after my visit… it depends. Originally, I planned on announcing at the All-American Bowl. As of right now, that’s still the plan. But, things can change. I might feel really good about a school and make a decision then.”

*** I've seen comments here and there on the board saying that Notre Dame cooled on Wagner. I'm not sure if this has been reported by any other outlets, but I can confirm that it is not accurate. Notre Dame wants Wagner in its 2022 class. Here's what Wagner had to say about his interest in the Irish in his most recent interview with Rivals:

"I think the three things that kind of pushes Notre Dame the most is Graduating Champions. Pretty much the environment you want to see in the classroom and the academics they have. Also, their o-line tradition. So many great o-linemen out there, like Quenton Nelson and Ronnie Stanley. People like that who have played at a high level. And then the last one would probably be the church. I grew up in the church. Spent my whole life there. Getting a chance to go to a school -- if I do choose them -- that openly promotes religion and doesn't shy away from religion is a good aspect about them."

*** When Mentor (Ohio) High class of 2023 defensive end Brenan Vernon committed to Notre Dame in June, I saw a lot of comments from folks mentioning that there's a long ways until National Signing Day and that Vernon could flip. Well, sure, that is possible, but everything I'm hearing on Vernon is very positive for the Fighting Irish. He's had great conversations lately with defensive line coach Mike Elston, and Vernon will visit Notre Dame for the USC game. Vernon is not the type of kid to listen to other programs. It'd take something catastrophic for him to back off his ND pledge.

*** Notre Dame has really been ramping up its pursuit of Findlay (Ohio) High two-way lineman Luke Montgomery. He's someone who the staff has always wanted and has been in consistent contact with, but it's heated up even more lately. His father, Mike, tells me that they are locked in to visit for the USC vs. Notre Dame contest in late October, and they may also get on campus for the Cincinnati game in early October as well. Ohio State is considered the favorite for Montgomery, but don't count out Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News