ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Scoop on Notre Dame & nation’s No. 1 cornerback

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I made the drive to Phenix City (Ala.) Glenwood High to see the No. 1 cornerback in the 2023 class, AJ Harris. As I've previously reported, Harris' father is a big Notre Dame fan as he grew up in Gary, Ind., and he was wearing a Play Like A Champion shirt, a nod to me as an ND reporter going to see his son practice. His son has high interest in the Fighting Irish, too. The four-star prospect (No. 1 cornerback but Rivals doesn't have him as a five-star yet....) has a top seven schools list, but he told me that Notre Dame is actually a top three school for him.

*** Travel arrangements haven't been made yet, but the Harris family is planning to make the trip to Notre Dame when the Irish host Georgia Tech in November. I feel comfortable enough with the tentative plans they've made to add Harris to my master visitor list. Programs such as Ohio State, Alabama, Clemson and Georgia are talked about a lot more than Notre Dame when it comes to Harris, but the Irish are in a better spot than people realize with him saying ND is in his top three. I'll have a full, detailed report on Harris in the coming days. I think you all will like it. Notre Dame has some cautious optimism with where it stands with Harris; several Irish coaches are talking to him often.

*** Notre Dame has offered about a dozen recruits thus far in the 2024 class, and Harper Woods (Mich.) High safety Jacob Oden is one of them. Oden camped at Notre Dame for Irish Invasion in June and makes his return visit this weekend. The 6-1, 182-pounder has the Bearcats on his offer sheet along with the likes of Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Tennessee and West Virginia.

*** South Hill (Wash.) Emerald Ridge class of 2024 quarterback Jake Schakel will visit Notre Dame this weekend as well. The 6-1, 190-pounder is off to a strong start of his sophomore season and holds early offers from Florida Atlantic and Nevada.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News