ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Scoop from Notre Dame‘s big Sept. 1 recruiting day

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Are you ready to put your career in your own hands? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a member of BlueandGold.com and franchise veteran, having recently sold a franchise to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @FranchiseCoach

For tonight's Lucky Charms, I'm going to go through a ton of different class of 2023 recruits who Notre Dame spoke with today and provide the details on the contact. Today was the first day college coaches were allowed to directly contact 2023 recruits, so it was a big day of calls and texts.

I'm going to have to divide this into two parts since I interacted with so many different recruits tonight. Make sure to check tomorrow's Lucky Charms for more details.

*** We've got to start with the two class of 2023 recruits Notre Dame fans have the most interest in, and that would be Detroit Martin Luther King quarterback Dante Moore and Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy wide receiver Carnell Tate. They had a 7am FaceTime call together with Irish offensive coordinator Tommy Rees. Tate also had a FaceTime call with Rees at midnight and had another FaceTime call with receivers coach Del Alexander later in the day.

*** I read that the Ohio State side of things has some confidence that Tate will choose the Buckeyes, but I'm not an OSU insider so I can't speak to that. But as far as Notre Dame stands for Tate ahead of his Oct 8 decision, the staff is knocking this recruitment out of the park. My sources on the Notre Dame side of things felt the calls with both Moore and Tate went fantastic. Notre Dame is putting itself in strong contention for Moore, but he's not expected to make a commitment any time soon.

Here's what Moore told me about the FaceTime with Rees and Tate: "Carnell and I were sleepy but we were still laughing and just talking ball. We are all checking in on each other."

*** Merrillville (Ind.) Andrean linebacker Drayk Bowen had multiple conversations with Notre Dame's Chad Bowden and Marcus Freeman. Bowden -- by the way -- must have contacted 50 recruits. The guy is a machine. I'm not sure if he slept last night. He was up at 3am ET calling west coast recruits. But back to Bowen. He had a FaceTime call with Freeman and Bowden at midnight and had another call with the staff Wednesday morning. The Irish continue to be in a strong position for Bowen, who I believe will make a decision on a school this fall.

*** Pittsburgh Brashear linebackerTa'Mere Robinson is really fired up about his contact with Notre Dame today. The Rivals100 recruit also had a call with Bowden around midnight and spoke with Freeman on Wednesday morning. Robinson also head a phone call with Notre Dame head coach Brian Kelly.

"They really want me and I feel it!" Robinson sent me in a text message. "They were just telling me how much of a factor I would be on the Notre Dame team."

*** Notre Dame tight ends coach John McNulty reached out to his three offered 2023 targets: Jaxon Howard, Duce Robinson and Cooper Flanagan. I still really like where Notre Dame is at with Flanagan and wouldn't be surprised if McNulty and Co. were able to close the deal this fall. A commitment from Flanagan would not shut the door on the Irish's pursuit of Howard and Robinson by any stretch.

*** It should come as zero surprise that Notre Dame offensive line coach Jeff Quinn got on a FaceTime call with Pleasant Hill (Iowa) Southeast Polk five-star tackle Kadyn Proctor on Wednesday morning. Notre Dame is battling with Iowa, Ohio State and many others for Proctor, but I feel that the Irish have as good of a chance as any school for Proctor. He has a really strong connection with the staff. He visited in June and is hoping to return to campus this fall.

*** Speaking of returning to campus, Lawrence (Mass.) Central Catholic defensive athlete Preston Zinter visited Notre Dame twice over the summer and is set to visit South Bend for a third time when the Irish host USC in October. Zinter spent some time texting and talking on the phone with Freeman Wednesday as well. "It was awesome. It's always great to get on the phone with him," Zinter told me.

*** Arthur (Ill.) Lovington running back Kaden Feagin spoke with position coach Lance Taylor on Wednesday morning. Feagin visited Notre Dame three times over the summer and tells me that he'll be returning to campus for the USC game Oct. 23. If Notre Dame pushes for Feagin, I believe he'll end up in the Irish's class.

*** Taylor also spoke with Miami Gulliver Prep's Sedrick Irvin Jr., the nation's No. 4 running back. In fact, Irvin told me that the first coach he spoke with Wednesday morning was Taylor. They've built a strong relationship, and Taylor's message to Irvin this morning was that he would only be recruiting him harder from here on out now that they can exchange text messages.

*** El Camp (Texas) High's Rueben Owens, the nation's No. 1 all-purpose back, had a text message conversation with Brian Kelly today. Notre Dame has a lot of ground to make up with Owens though. I don't see the Irish being able to make much of a move for him.

*** I mentioned earlier the staff contacted a couple of west coast recruits at midnight PT. Chad Bowden reached out to Tacoma (Wash.) Lincoln defensive end Jayden Wayne, the nation's No. 12 prospect in 2023. Wayne has a great vibe with the Notre Dame staff. Bowden and cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens gave Seattle Rainier Beach cornerback Caleb Presley a call too.

*** Dearborn (Mich.) Divine Child offensive lineman Dylan Senda doesn't hold an offer from Notre Dame yet, but Senda got a call from Jeff Quinn. Senda is fired up about this contact. I'm told Senda had a good camp at Notre Dame in June but didn't have much contact with the staff the rest of the summer. Senda is excited to be in contact with the Irish staff.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News