ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Notre Dame football recruiting heating up

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** I will have more on this tomorrow in my coaches on the road report, but I wanted to share now that Notre Dame is giving one last swing at Scottsdale (Ariz.) Chaparral class of 2022 defensive Anthony Lucas. Notre Dame's Marcus Freeman, Tommy Rees, Chad Bowden and Mike Mickens will have a visit with the elite defensive lineman. And then Defensive line coach Mike Elston will make it out to Arizona that night for a home visit. This is basically a situation where Notre Dame is shooting its shot to see if they can make a move with Lucas now that Freeman is head coach, but Lucas is favoring LSU and Texas A&M from what I hear. Notre Dame is swinging for the fences.

*** Speaking of Elston, I'm told that he did not visit Rowlett (Texas) High’s Micheal Ibukun-Okeyode today like I heard he might. He committed to TCU on Sunday, and the Fighting Irish will no longer be recruiting him. Elston did make a visit to see five-star class of 2023 defensive end David Hicks Jr. of Allen (Texas) High though, as I previously reported. And Notre Dame offered a new prospect out of Allen High today in the 2024 class.

*** Las Vegas Bishop Gorman class of 2023 cornerback Justyn Rhett will announce his commitment this Saturday, I'm told. Rhett has a top-five schools list of Alabama, Georgia, Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Tennessee, and I've had my FutureCast prediction has been in favor of the Fighting Irish since June. Right now, I don't have any plans to change my pick, but to be honest with you guys, even if I did learn this week that he'd be choosing another school, I wouldn't change my pick. It's just a personal preference of mine to accept a loss in these recruiting predictions when kids have set commitment dates for this soon. But again, I do like where Notre Dame is at a few days away from his decision.

*** USC continues to work on Notre Dame commits Niuafe Tuihalamaka and CJ Williams, the Irish's prized linebacker and wide receiver verbals, respectively, from Southern California. I do believe the Irish will be able to hold on to Tuihalamaka with no problem, but there is more concern with Williams, especially after he just visited USC on Sunday night, I'm told. Some ND sources I speak with feel really good that Williams will stick, but other folks tell me that he's on flip watch. Notre Dame's Marcus Freeman and Tommy Rees will be having in-home visits with both prospects this weekend, which will be key. Williams will not be able to officially visit Notre Dame this weekend because his team plays this Saturday. Tuihalamaka might be able to make it to South Bend.

*** Notre Dame extended an offer to Walled Lake (Mich.) Western class of 2022 safety Koen Entringer today, and I shared details on that scholarship offer in an article earlier today. Rivals.com Midwest recruiting analyst Clint Cosgrove has already placed a Rivals FutureCast prediction for Entringer to choose the Fighting Irish as well. I'm not quite ready for that after talking to sources today, but it could certainly trend quickly in that direction. A key factor to keep an eye on with Entringer is whether or not he will officially visit this weekend. I've heard that Iowa and Notre Dame are battling to host him this weekend. Michigan is also in the mix, and his step-father is a professor at U-M.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News