ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Notre Dame Coaches To Hit The Road Friday

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Are you ready to put your career in your own hands? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a member of BlueandGold.com and franchise veteran, having recently sold a franchise to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @FranchiseCoach

Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** September is an evaluation period month, which allows college coaches to hit the road and see prospects. This happens a lot during bye weeks, but since Notre Dame is playing on a Sunday, it allows for the staff to be out on Friday night to see recruits. And the staff will be doing that just that in a couple of locations. Irish tight end commit Eli Raridon's Valley team faces off against Notre Dame safety target Xavier Nwankpa's Southeast Polk squad. From what I'm hearing, Notre Dame's Chris O'Leary, Mike Mickens, Marcus Freeman, Brian Kelly and John McNulty will be at this contest. This game also features Southeast Polk class of 2023 offensive tackle Kaydn Proctor, a five-star prospect who the Irish seem to be in the driver's seat for.

*** Notre Dame will also have several coaches in Cincinnati, as IMG Academy -- home of class of 2023 wide receiver Carnell Tate -- hits the road to face La Salle. I'm expecting Notre Dame's Mike Elston, Tommy Rees, Del Alexander, Jeff Quinn and Lance Taylor to be at this contest. At least I believe Quinn will be at it, but I'm not 100% sure. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if Notre Dame offers IMG 2024 running back Stacy Gage, who is an absolute stud, in the next week or so. Also, despite La Salle 2022 running back Gi'Bran Payne committing to Indiana in July, I'm hearing that Notre Dame is still looking at the four-star prospect. If he has a strong game and impresses the Irish staff, they may decide to push for him.

*** It's clear that Notre Dame badly wants Nwankpa and Tate. I'd argue that they are the top two targets in the 2022 and 2023 classes, respectively. And speaking of Tate, I wanted to share an excerpt from this article posted on Eleven Warriors, an Ohio State website, that spoke with Tate following his game on Sunday.

Tate, who plans to commit on Oct. 8 because that’s when he’ll be with his family in Chicago, says he has not yet made a decision on a school ahead of his commitment date. His commitment is expected to come down to OSU and Notre Dame. He has made unofficial visits to OSU twice and to Notre Dame three times. Tate will take only one visit ahead of his commitment: Notre Dame on Oct. 2.

Ohio State coaches have also reached out to Tate about coming back for a visit, and have told him they’d like for him to attend their game the next day against Maryland if he commits to the Buckeyes on Oct. 8. As it stands right now, OSU feels good about where it stands regarding Tate.

If I'm a Notre Dame fan, I like this update. If he does make that visit for the Notre Dame-Cincinnati contest Oct. 2, then he'll have visited South Bend four times compared to seeing Ohio State's campus twice. And you guys know my manta: "follow the visits." This recruitment is going to be a battle down to the end, but I am optimistic about Notre Dame's chances.

*** There was a report that Notre Dame class of 2022 wide receiver commit Amorion Walker would be taking a second trip this fall to Michigan, which would be one time more than he's been to Notre Dame. He's also taken trips to Alabama and LSU since making his Notre Dame commitment. I expect the Irish staff to have a heart to heart meeting with Walker about the status of his commitment very, very soon. Notre Dame is not going to want to continue this saga into the fall. Is Walker strong with his Notre Dame pledge or not? If he's going to continue to take visits, I'm not sure this commitment sticks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News