ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Fighting Irish football recruiting notes

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
First of all, I wanted to say how thankful I am for each and every one of you who come to BlueandGold.com to get updates on Notre Dame athletics and participate on our message board, whether you're an active poster, lurker, in the corn fields or a troll. Your business is so appreciated.

Our staff here at Blue & Gold has gone through a lot of change over the past few years, but the one constant was always Lou Somogyi. And for so many of you, he's been your go-to read on Notre Dame athletics for decades. From a personal and business standpoint, there are no words to describe how awful the passing of the G.O.A.T is.

I thank everyone for continuing to support the Blue & Gold brand. My purpose in my work career is 100% locked in on building up Blue & Gold in honor of Lou. I am thankful for you all who are sticking with us in the present and future.

All right, let's get to business. Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** Notre Dame had Milton (Ga.) High class of 2024 wide receiver Debron Gatling on campus for a visit last weekend, but the elite talent hasn't received an offer from the Fighting Irish yet. I spoke with Gatling this week, and he told me that Notre Dame is looking over his transcripts. If all checks out there, I fully expect Gatling to become one of the first receiver recruits to receive an offer from Notre Dame in the 2024 cycle.

Gatling is big-time, folks. It's a good move to be in this early on him, and his visit last weekend shows that he has real interest in Notre Dame. Ranked on Rivals top-100 watch list for the 2024 class, Gatling holds offers from Auburn, Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Michigan, Oregon and many others.

*** Irvington (N.J.) High class of 2023 safety Adon Shuler had a great time on campus last weekend and is locked in with his Notre Dame pledge. Shuler had a phenomenal junior season, leading his team to a state title and recording 74 tackles, seven tackles for loss, one sack, two forced fumbles, six interceptions (two returned for touchdowns) and three blocked field goals on the season.

With his strong year, other programs are continuing to reach out Shuler, but there's very little flip concern with Shuler. His head coach has been closely involved with Shuler's recruiting process, and the Irvington coach has a relationship that goes back a while with the Fighting Irish defensive coaches.

*** Over the weekend, Denton (Texas) Guyer class of 2023 quarterback Jackson Arnold landed an offer from Alabama. He also has the likes of Baylor, Ole Miss, Notre Dame, Ohio State and Oklahoma State on his scholarship sheet. Notre Dame loved him when he camped with them over the summer and offered back in August before the start of his junior season in which he's leading Guyer to a deep playoff run.

The sentiment of Arnold being a backup plan to Detroit Martin Luther King's Dante Moore should probably end now. While Moore could be the top guy for the Irish on the 2023 quarterback board, many folks I speak with in South Bend are very high on Arnold. As I've said before, I don't expect quarterback dominos in the 2023 class to start to fall until after the 2022 class signs. In my opinion, I believe Notre Dame will land Arnold, Moore or Birmingham (Ala.) Briarwood Christian's Christopher Vizzina, who recently added an offer from Clemson.

Happy Thanksgiving!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News