ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Lucky Charms: Carnell Tate, more Notre Dame 2023 recruiting tidbits

MikeSinger

Recruiting Insider
Staff
Mar 7, 2013
Are you ready to put your career in your own hands? Adam Goldman can help! Adam is a member of BlueandGold.com and franchise veteran, having recently sold a franchise to a strategic buyer. Using his expertise, he helps others find their American Dream through a very thorough and FREE consultation process. Call Adam at 844-800-FRAN and put your life and career in your own hands.
Adam Goldman, Owner
FranchiseCoach.net
Email: agoldman@franchisecoach.net
DM: @FranchiseCoach

Here are tonight's Lucky Charms...

*** Oh boy, the most fun recruitment to report on... Carnell Tate. Notre Dame is going all-in on the Bradenton (Fla.) IMG Academy wide receiver and pitching hard how badly they want him and Detroit Martin Luther King quarterback Dante Moore in its 2023 class. Irish safety commit Adon Shuler sent out a graphic with the message "join us" to which Tate responded "I don't think they're ready for this one!"

*** Tate was planning to announce his commitment in just a few weeks but changed plans and now has no timeline. Regardless of when he makes a decision, I'm told Tate's recruitment will go the distance. Even if he committed to Ohio State tomorrow, I believe that he'll take all five of his official visits.

*** The four-star recruit spoke to Rivals.com this week, and you can read the full article here. Below are some highlights of the story.

Speaking on his relationship with the Fighting Irish coaching staff, Tate stated, “They’ve been there from the start; that has been a blessing. They noticed me almost before any other school. It was nice to get back up there.”

Visits for the four-star receiver will resume in October with a trip to South Bend for Notre Dame’s game against Cincinnati adding, “Hopefully I will get to go to Tennessee on Oct. 16 (Ole Miss), Ole Miss on Nov. 13 (Texas A&M), and to Michigan on Nov. 27 (Ohio State).”

For the fans and coaches, Tate wants it to be known, “My recruiting is 100 percent open.” Asked why that might be important for all to know, “Everyone thinks it is Ohio State or Notre Dame.”

*** This weekend won't have a star-studded visitor list for Notre Dame with Purdue coming to town, but here are a couple Power Five-level recruits who will be in town. Waverly (Iowa) Shell Rock class of 2023 outside linebacker Asa Newsom, who stands at 6-3, 215 pounds and holds offers from Iowa, Kansas State, Missouri and others, will be in South Bend. West Bloomfield (Mich.) High class of 2024 cornerback Jamir Benjamin, who Michigan State and Purdue on his offer sheet, will see the contest as well.

*** A couple other notes on class of 2023 prospects... On Sept. 1, Indianapolis Cathedral defensive tackle Kendrick Gilbert spoke with Notre Dame's Brian Polian, Marcus Freeman, Mike Elston and Brian Kelly. If the Irish want Gilbert, whose sister is on the Irish women's basketball team, in its 2023 class, then I believe it'll happen.

Clemson will be tough to beat for Mt. Pleasant (S.C.) Oceanside Collegiate Academy class of 2023 offensive tackle Monroe Freeling, but Notre Dame is doing an excellent job in the recruitment of the four-star player. Irish offensive line coach Jeff Quinn gave Freeling a call on Sept. 1.

"I've grown a good relationship with Coach Quinn over the past couple months," Freeling said. "We caught up about the past couple of weeks about my season."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News