ADVERTISEMENT

Lou Somogyi and Harry Oliver

timmysan

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Aug 21, 2003
For some reason, I just cannot get the story out of my head that Lou wrote a few years back when Harry Oliver passed away. What I remember is Lou giving Harry all of the same praise that we are now giving Lou. Both men were so devoted to God, Country, and Notre Dame.

The quote from that article that I remember the best is when Lou spoke about Harry being asked about what lady he would choose to be with (since he was so popular at that moment) after his famous game-winning 51-yard field goal against Michigan in 1980, and Harry responded, "The only lady I need is Our Lady". I think this was something that Lou was extremely proud of, and a testimony of faith and attitude that Lou embodied himself. I instantly sensed the connection between the two when Lou spoke of Harry's devotion to the Church and of helping those less fortunate than he was.

I will never get that out of my mind, because as soon as I read it, I thought, man, that is Lou Somogyi to a tee. So unselfish, so giving. What an amazing human being he was.

I am quite sure that Lou and Harry Oliver are both in heaven right now talking about Notre Dame and are in complete bliss.

Lou, we love you and deeply miss you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News