ADVERTISEMENT

Football Lorenzo Styles on trying out at cornerback

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
I'll have a story on Styles later with comments from cornerbacks coach Mike Mickens as well, but I thought I'd get this transcript to you ASAP.

LORENZO STYLES

What’s it been like playing on the other side of the ball?

“It’s been great. I really got to have a full practice today. Talked to coach Freeman about doing what’s best for the team. I feel really comfortable back there. I have a background and stuff. It feels good.”

What went into that conversation and process?

“Coach Freeman and all the coaches made the compliment like, ‘Hey, you can be a great DB,’ but it was really the decision was up to me. I felt like I could really help the team there, be a great player there, so that’s what it really came down to.”

Is this something that you’d like to be full-time?

“I’m a football player. So if they want me to go catch some passes, I’ll go catch some passes and make some plays. If they want me to go lock some people down, I can go do that too. I feel pretty confident in both.”

What went into why you felt you could do this?

“I’m a great a football player. I even think being on the offensive side will help me play defensive back. Coach Freeman and them were just saying some things like, ‘Hey, I think you’d be great back there.’ If that will help the team, I’m going to go back there and try it out.”

Are you still planning to go both ways in the Blue-Gold Game?

“That’s the plan they have for me.”

Was there a moment you knew you wanted to do this?

“I don’t really know if there was anything specific. It all goes back to I love playing football. I’m a great football player. That can be on offense or defense, special teams, whatever that may be. Anyway I can make an impact. Being able to play both ways or focusing on either, I can have an impact on the game.”

What’s it like covering your friends at wide receiver?

“It’s fun. I’ve been in the meetings with them. I know what they’re thinking a little bit. I have an idea of what the offense is trying to do. So it makes it a little bit easier on me. I love going against those guys. We have some great players at wideout. It’s fun going against them in practice.”

Do you know any of their tendencies or tells?

“I do know, but I don’t know if I can say that right now.”

How helpful has Cam Hart been as someone who made the transition before?

“Cam’s one of my good friends, so I’ve talked to him about it. He talked a little bit about his transition. I took that into account for me. It really came down to what was in my heart, and what I wanted to do. I wasn’t really letting everyone else’s view shape what I’m going to do.”

Did drops become a mental challenge for you last season?

“I just had a little bit of a mental challenge, but I definitely got past that. I’ve been making plays all spring ball. I feel real confident gaining trust with the quarterback when I was playing receiver, gaining my trust back with the coaches. I feel really good.”

Did you get your feet down for that catch on the sideline in the video the other day?

“Of course I got my feet down. Yes sir.”

Have you talked to your brother about the move?

“He’s definitely excited. Him and my dad are defensive minds, defensive guys. I grew up really in a defensive family. They love to see me on that side of the ball for sure.”

What about your skill set makes you suited to play corner?

“Athletically, I feel like I’m a pretty gifted athlete. It’s just the technical skills. Growing up, I had that defensive background. I’ve had some defensive coaches. Being honest, when I came into college, I really didn’t have a receivers coach who I worked on that much. So that was a big transition for me when I first came here, just to get to the point where I’m at now. This transition is actually going to a lot less, because I grew up doing that a lot of the time.”

Did some of those high school skills come back to you quickly?

“If I’m being honest, it felt like riding a bike a little bit. I was out there today and felt really good, really confident. I don’t fully grasp the defense yet, just because I’ve only been in like one or two meetings. So that was a little bit hard for me. Then there’s definitely some technical things [to work on]. Already playing in the college game, I’m already caught up with the pace of the game and the speed of it. I felt good today.”

How were colleges recruiting you? As a WR? As a CB? As an ATH?

“Pretty much athlete. A lot of schools were saying I could go there and really play either way.”

And you wanted to play wide receiver?

“Yeah. It was more so my choice. I was a little bit — I wanted to catch touchdowns. But on defense, if you get an interception and take it to the house, you can score touchdowns too.”

Did you miss this in the last couple years?

“I really do like the defensive side, because it’s a different mindset. It’s more aggressive, a little bit more chaos. On offense, you have to be a little bit more calm and relaxed. At DB, you do as well, but I like to get in the action a little bit. I like it a lot.”

What’s the relationship like with coach Mickens?

“He’s a great coach. Even before, like when I was playing receiver, I was asking him, ‘What do the DBs think here when I do this type of release or do these different types of things?’ So we already had that relationship. Now it’s just transferring to a defensive mind.”

How much has your one-on-one work given you a confidence boost despite not knowing the defense?

“I don’t really know that much. I can go line up in front of someone if I have to go put hands on him. I already knew I could kind of do that. But it’s more so doing different things like actually playing the game.”

Does Benjamin Morrison’s quick success show you that you can make an impact in your first year at the position?

“I don’t necessarily think it’s Benjamin’s success. He’s a great football player. But it’s more so my skill set, knowing what I’m capable of doing and having confidence in myself to go out there and do it.”

Do you talk trash to the receivers now?

“I chirp a little bit, but I try to go about my business. I’m still just trying to get better. I’m looking to the sideline to make sure I get the call right now. I’m making sure I’m still locked in on everything and learning everything.”

Do you know what the first practice you did some cornerback reps?

“I’m not really sure.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News