ADVERTISEMENT

Kelly cleaned house

Can you list the 10 CFB head coaches who are better?
Saban Smart and Dabo are top 3 that isn't debatable. 4 through 15 is where it gets tricky. You can make a case for a lot of coaches. No one is going to agree regardless with the others list

How do you differentiate between Harbaugh, Day, Franklin, Riley, Deboer, Lanning, Kelly, Kiffin, Sark etc.

Reactions: edub72
Year to year a coach's teams rise and fall, but (1) though Kelly has had a good record during his career, he has never won the big game, seems to really falter when his teams play in a big game; (2) some of these coaches have had bad years and may not have an overall w-l record as good as Kelly's, but all have won big games or are likely to do so --- Saban, Smart, Swinney, Day, DeBoer, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, ......

Year to year a coach's teams rise and fall, but (1) though Kelly has had a good record during his career, he has never won the big game, seems to really falter when his teams play in a big game; (2) some of these coaches have had bad years and may not have an overall w-l record as good as Kelly's, but all have won big games or are likely to do so --- Saban, Smart, Swinney, Day, DeBoer, Harbaugh, Sarkisian, ......
I can't name 10 better head coaches in CFB than Brian Kelly.

Saban Smart and Dabo are top 3 that isn't debatable. 4 through 15 is where it gets tricky. You can make a case for a lot of coaches. No one is going to agree regardless with the others list

How do you differentiate between Harbaugh, Day, Franklin, Riley, Deboer, Lanning, Kelly, Kiffin, Sark etc.
Regarding your last sentence, that's my point. To categorically say Brian Kelly is not a top 10 head coach in CFB is difficult to prove.

Regarding your last sentence, that's my point. To categorically say Brian Kelly is not a top 10 head coach in CFB is difficult to prove.
Both ways. You think he's top 10. Others don't.

Basically he's not good enough to guarantee a spot in that top 10. You can make a case for or against

Both ways. You think he's top 10. Others don't.

Basically he's not good enough to guarantee a spot in that top 10. You can make a case for or against
Name 10 that are good enough. I would love to read those names.

Is James Franklin top 10? Lincoln Riley? Steve Sarkisian?

Kelly is a good coach when he’s favored or has a better team. He’s not going to outcoach any top 10 coach

Reactions: Chitown11
I can, but that's my opinion. You are so up BK's arse, If I do list them you'll find something wrong with the list, so what's the point.

Reactions: francade
I can, but that's my opinion. You are so up BK's arse, If I do list them you'll find something wrong with the list, so what's the point.
Is James Franklin better? Sarkisian? Lincoln Riley?

Tough to say.

Is James Franklin better? Sarkisian? Lincoln Riley?

Tough to say.
I wouldn't say Franklin, or Riley are better. I would put them in that 3rd tier with Kelly. Guys that will get you to 10 win seasons, but can't win big games. I think Sarkisian has the potential to be better than Kelly.

Clearly, the top 5 is and not necessarily in order.
1. Saban
2. Smart
3. Swinney (yes 2 championships and major bowl wins)
4. Harbaugh ( CFP win, win or lose vs Washington, he's got that big game win)
5. Deboer (What he's done in 2 short years is impressive. Already multiple big game wins and a cfp win)

I wouldn't say Franklin, or Riley are better. I would put them in that 3rd tier with Kelly. Guys that will get you to 10 win seasons, but can't win big games. I think Sarkisian has the potential to be better than Kelly.

Clearly, the top 5 is and not necessarily in order.
1. Saban
2. Smart
3. Swinney (yes 2 championships and major bowl wins)
4. Harbaugh ( CFP win, win or lose vs Washington, he's got that big game win)
5. Deboer (What he's done in 2 short years is impressive. Already multiple big game wins and a cfp win)
I would love to now read your 6-10 that are definitely ahead of Brian Kelly.

Who?

Yes and I gave you my top 5. Do you have an issue with my top 5? I have a 6-10, I'm just curious as to what you think about my top 5.
Sure; although, DeBoer is a stretch. That's simply recency bias.

Recency or not the guys got more playoff wins than BK and he's only in year 2.
Naming someone a top 5 head coach in all of cfb based off one season is a stretch.

Like I said, recency bias prevails with these lists.

Naming someone a top 5 head coach in all of cfb based off one season is a stretch.
Would you rather have a guy that gives you 10 wins a year and fails on the biggest stage every time or a guy that wins in the biggest moments. I go wit the latter.

Let's put it this way, If Orgeron and Fisher were still coaching I'd have them both ahead of Kelly. They've won on the biggest stage in the last decade, Kelly has not. Results matter.

Would you rather have a guy that gives you 10 wins a year and fails on the biggest stage every time or a guy that wins in the biggest moments. I go wit the latter.

Let's put it this way, If Orgeron and Fisher were still coaching I'd have them both ahead of Kelly. They've won on the biggest stage in the last decade, Kelly has not. Results matter.
We obviously view CFB head coaching differently. I do not view Ed Orgeron or Jimbo Fisher in the same regard.

We obviously view CFB head coaching differently. I do not view Ed Orgeron or Jimbo Fisher in the same regard.
That's fine I respect that. I'm not taking anything away from Kelly, he's just not a winner. He's a program builder.

I compare Kelly to Buck Showalter. Showalter is great at turning baseball teams around and making them contenders, but that's his ceiling. He can't get over that hump.
Kelly is also great at turning programs around and making them contenders, but that's his ceiling, and he can't get over that hump.

LSU miscalculated when they hired him, they figured with the additional resources and larger recruiting pool, Kelly could win a championship. I believe they are beginning to realize their mistake. Kelly probably has 2-3 more years to get it done or he's gone. LSU won't tolerate a 44-6 without a championship. That's just how it is at these SEC programs.

FWIW, some twitter accounts out there mentioning Harbaugh to New England and BK to Michigan. Harbaugh I can see, BK not so much, but would be interesting

FWIW, some twitter accounts out there mentioning Harbaugh to New England and BK to Michigan. Harbaugh I can see, BK not so much, but would be interesting
I have read Jim Harbaugh to LA Raiders.

He has a guaranteed contract. They have to pay him regardless.
Thats mostly true....They wouldn't have to pay the whole enchilada if they fired him with cause. Its a narrow window...but thats how they would frame the termination...then settle.

Thats mostly true....They wouldn't have to pay the whole enchilada if they fired him with cause. Its a narrow window...but thats how they would frame the termination...then settle.
Jimbo Fisher is receiving every penny from TAM. 76.0 Million.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT