ADVERTISEMENT

JRW Little League

Toby Smart

All Star
Aug 28, 2002
They got hammered by the powers to be. Stripped of U.S. title and they may have to vacate other wins. Boundaries are important for little leagues to stay operational and competitive. Apparently, the adults at JRW do not respect the rules and got nailed. Chicago radio has been buzzing all day long about this story. There was talk at the LLWS that something was not right with JRW. Of course, Jesse Jackson and Father Flakey ran in front of the TV cameras and put their two cents in even though they admitted they know nothing about the situation. They and the kid's parents made a bad situation worse. Las Vegas has been awarded the U.S. crown. They accepted it. I would have taken a pass. But, that's me.

title should just be vacated. Other US teams lost to the JRW's. Again, as I have stated often, the worst thing about youth sports is adults

To bad for the kids the adults tried to get an edge to get their ball club over the hump by going outside the lines. If I'm not mistaking JRW was close the past couple of years

This post was edited on 2/11 11:20 PM by deadirishpoet

So the kids who live outside the area had no idea? BS! They knew, their parents knew, the coaches knew and Jessie Jackson knew

It's nice to see cheaters don't prosper

Originally posted by wicker:
title should just be vacated. Other US teams lost to the JRW's. Again, as I have stated often, the worst thing about youth sports is adults
Agree!

Originally posted by southerncalirish:
So the kids who live outside the area had no idea? BS! They knew, their parents knew, the coaches knew and Jessie Jackson knew

Fudging the boundaries a little isn't really cheating here in Chicago.

You just need to know a guy.

Originally posted by IRISHJD98:

I feel bad for the kids mostly being used as pawns. Maybe the kids knew that they were outside the territory, but I don't expect 12-year-old kids to really be aware of what's going on or even to speak up about it. It's unfair to blame them.

It's unfortunate that a kids game has become such a big deal that adults just ruin it completely.

Originally posted by NDEwing18:

I feel bad for the kids mostly being used as pawns. Maybe the kids knew that they were outside the territory, but I don't expect 12-year-old kids to really be aware of what's going on or even to speak up about it. It's unfair to blame them.

It's unfortunate that a kids game has become such a big deal that adults just ruin it completely.
From what I understand, the JRLL board of directors opted to "re-organize" the district boundaries
without informing, or getting approval from, the other districts in the area.

Therefore, the kids outside the official boundary and their parents, probably didn't know they were
fudging the rules. It was probably explained to them that it was ok since the boundaries had been
revised. Believe what you will, but I think the majority of them were duped just as the rest of us.

The real culprits here are the people in charge of JRLL and the coaches.

not that they're the problem, but I also think the ESPN coverage of the LLWS and the Regional Tourneys leading to it, is way over the top. You want to televise the games, fine, but enough with turning these kids into 11 & 12 year ole celebrities with all the side bar coverage thus turning them into 11&12 yr old prima donna's.

Chicago sports radio "The Score" reported today that not only did the parents involved knew they were outside the boundaries but knowingly fudged the address for their homes. Jesse Jackson compared this to a crucifixion. Other league officials went as far as comparing this to Ferguson and Eric Garner. "Father" Phleger was the first one to run to a camera and play the race card without knowing one single fact. The dad of one suspended league official questioned the rally gorillas carried by the Las Vegas kids and how that related to JRW. All these adults would be better served to just shut up and accept the punishment. If I was a member of JRW I would be embarrassed. The kids are innocent. No one is blaming the kids. Listening to Chicago radio and watching all these parents, league officials, and politicians on Chicago TV has been entertaining to say the least over the past 48. The players are the only ones who are speaking well, thought out, and coherent sentences. There has to be a future Domer on that JRW team someplace.

enough with playing the race card Jesse, Father Flakey. A Latino team from Brooklyn was also stripped of it's title a few years back because it's star pitcher was found to have been over age. How about the Taiwanese who were banned for years for having fudged birth certificates. JRW broke the rules, they were caught, end of story.

What? The kids from Las Vegas who were the dominant team didn't get a chance to play for the championship because the Chicago team cheated.

Don't forget the Las Vegas team won by the 10 run rule in the first game. No legal team beat Las Vegas.

It's nice to still see an ororganization in that sticks by it rules. Of course some mother has to come on and cry race. I believe she said boo hoo whenever a black person has success people want to say that can't be possible because they are black. WOW!!! Just effing WOW!!! It's people like her that hurts those kids not LL baseball.

Lawsuits are imminent. The race card is being played ad nauseum.

The people involved could be purple - doesn't matter - rules were broken.
Hopefully Little League doesn't cave in to the pressure and sticks by their decision
to strip the cheaters of their title.

The race card people have been emboldened due to the justice dept. It will only be a matter of time before the president weights in

It was sad to see the parents not take any ownership and play the race card....it was very sad to see jessie jackson standing behind the parents...

This is the price we pay when our country puts far too much emphasis on winning and not enough in teaching the game and the lessons learned from sports. This situation is all about failed parents and leaders of this team who not only allowed it to happen, but most certainly went out recruiting the best players they could find regardless of the boundaries they were expected to stay within. Anyone bringing in race makes the matter worse! It is not race, it is cheating!

Then again, what would you expect. Just look at some of the people we throw laurels at? Heisman trophy winners accused of unspeakable acts by two women and who is attacked? The accuser!!!! We have "amateur" atheletes coddled and allowed to break any rule imaganiable as long as they win and their schools and coaching staff gets huge bonusus on winning games with no pain when the kids break rules and don't graduate. We are told it's not the coaches job. And you guys wonder why we have problems yet again, I will be attacked for being a truth teller!!!!

We can be so much better!

If there is ever an opportunity for Jesse Jackson to inject himself into a racially charged situation, rest assured that's a safe bet. He's such a piece.

SI1, While race is still a huge problem in this country and a whole lot of injustice is still found all over the USA, Jesse and his ilk do good people of color and all minorities a disservice by always resorting to the race card.

Originally posted by NDEwing18:

NDEwing18:

I feel bad for the kids too. My earlier post was really a bit tongue and cheek. The whole thing kinda reminds me of local elections where the best chance guys have of getting elected is redistricting or getting someone kick off the ballot. Even when I was in League League, there were always allegations that the dominant team was cheating and efforts to get some district get disqualified. Sometimes they were cheating. Sometimes they weren't.

The cheating issue sucks. But its even worse that this story is inflaming existing racial tensions that have nothing to do with baseball. The strongest claims of cheating arose from an Evergreen Park coach. When I first moved to the Chicago area, I bought a house in Evergreen Park. Lot of Irish and a lot of Catholic. The day I moved in, the Italian-Catholic neighbors from across the street, the Cavalones, went out of their way to tell me how happy the "right kind of people" moved into the neighborhood. And my Irish-Catholic neighbors next door loved that I had just graduated from Notre Dame. We got along well, right up until I told them they needed to stop using "N-Word" in front of my kids. They told me that if I didn't like it, I should move.

Turns out they were right. That summer, my son played baseball in Evergreen Park. He was 12. We had actually moved in past the residency cut-off, but "we knew a guy" that said he could get it worked out. After one of the first games, we were invited back to a cookout with a bunch of other parents. And a really weird discussion about Canadians came up. It went on and on with mothers and fathers making some really nasty comments about Canadians. I didn't get how people could feel so strongly about Canadians. So I asked. In response, I was told that that's how they talked about "N-Word" when they were in polite company.

I honestly could go on an on. When I sold my house a few years later, my "For Sale" sign kept being removed from my front lawn. Before I had moved into the neighborhood, the Villiage had banned the posting of For Sale signs. The ban was later overturned because it was found to be part of a racial steering program, where realtors would steer African-americans to the northeast quadrant of the Village and away from others areas. But even after the ban was lifted, it was "understood" that homeowners wouldn't post For Sale signs. At least, that's how it was explained to me when my realtor tried to discourage me from posting a For Sale sign in front of the house.

Now all that was about 15 years ago, and there were a lot of good people in the Village that weren't racist, or at least not openly. And maybe attitudes have changed. But if they haven't, I could see how some African-american parents in that northeast quadrant of Evergreen Park might want their kids to play in a league just across the district border, like JRW. And based on my personal experience there, I think there's plenty of white parents that would have been just fine with having them play elsewhere.

From what I've read about the coach that lead the effort to disqualify JRW, he really doesn't seem like the kind of guy that would be doing it out of racial bias. Seems more like its just typical Little League/Chicago politics to me. But I understand where the race questions come from.

It sucks that the kids have to get caught up in any of this. And it sucks that the adults engaging in the conversation aren't more careful in addressing it. In the end, the claims of racism and the responses will just perpetuate existing tensions. And the kids, black and white, end up carrying someone else's baggage.

I'm not a fan of Little League! There are far too many dominant "adults" involved.
I wonder why it took 6 months or so to bring this to light?

The JRW players are attending the Blackhawks game tonight by special invite from the Blackhawks. The franchise is neutral on the controversy. It would be well served if the fans do not boo the kids no matter how much the fans have had to drink. The kids are innocent and I believe the Blackhawk brass will do everything they can to protect the kids. If parents or coaches of the players show up, keep them completely away from the action. The Hawks might be inviting trouble if the parents and coaches are allowed to parade around with the players. The team that no one has barely spoke about in all this is New Albany, Indiana who lost the Central States title to JRW. They now have been awarded the title and are planning to take the kids to Williamsport to visit the complex and walk on the field and accept their new trophy.

What wicker said.

And the pathetic people of our society are now pulling the race card on this. Shocking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT