ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo getting fired

IrishMike409

Posts Like A Champion
Nov 27, 2011
Obviously we open at A&M next season. Will be interesting to see who they bring in.

Obviously we open at A&M next season. Will be interesting to see who they bring in.
They are going to eat a lot of money, Wow!

Surprised they are doing it after a 51 to 10 victory.

Hope they have a mass exodus of players, especially on their DL. They are very talented there

Reactions: IrishMike409
Give up play calling and hire Bobby Petrine to “help” with the offense. It was pretty much get to the SEC Title game or bust. When he signed that #1 class he was on the clock.

Reactions: Tru2Irish
They are going to eat a lot of money, Wow!

Surprised they are doing it after a 51 to 10 victory.

Hope they have a mass exodus of players, especially on their DL. They are very talented there
That’s true—didn’t see it after that win. But after stockpiling this much talent via their NIL collective, they want something better. Knowing what A&M has player for player, unit for unit…It should be doing better, but there always seems to be some little play, some little mistake that messes up games for the Aggies. They have a top 20 type offense, top 10-15 type defense, top 15ish Game Control numbers, and the oddsmakers like them as they respect their talent expecting it to shine through.

if the report is accurate, the Board of Trustees should resign or be fired for giving him that contract in the first place !

if the report is accurate, the Board of Trustees should resign or be fired for giving him that contract in the first place !
Pat

Nice sentiment. Most agree. But let’s recognize one thing about life in America right now - Nobody goes to jail or gets punished. People need to realize loot is for the taking in most major cities. It’s dystopian

Pat

Nice sentiment. Most agree. But let’s recognize one thing about life in America right now - Nobody goes to jail or gets punished. People need to realize loot is for the taking in most major cities. It’s dystopian
I understand, but giving a coach a 10 year contract, especially for that amount of money, is abdicating your fiduciary responsibility to the University.

Where have we seen that before ?

ft-worth-texas-main-street-cadillac-with-longhorns-on-grill-for-tourists-E202GJ.jpg
Money means nothing to their boosters
When I think of A&M boosters, this is what comes to mind.

Actually all in (with assistants, etc.) I read it will cost them 150 million.

Elko back to College Station?

I feel like A&M tries, it never works out but at least they make attempts to be successful. ND seems to make halfhearted attempts, such as never investing in assistant coaches.

A&M last won a title when WW2 was at its onset. It’s hard to believe Bear Bryant didn’t nab one in the 50’s.

Reactions: tbonesays
I understand, but giving a coach a 10 year contract, especially for that amount of money, is abdicating your fiduciary responsibility to the University.

Where have we seen that before ?
Kevin White comes to mind

I feel like A&M tries, it never works out but at least they make attempts to be successful. ND seems to make halfhearted attempts, such as never investing in assistant coaches.

A&M last won a title when WW2 was at its onset. It’s hard to believe Bear Bryant didn’t nab one in the 50’s.
If you are going to compete in the SEC, they need to cheat better. Hand out more up front cash to induce better players to College Station. More McDonald’s bags stuffed with cash.

Not sure if these kinds of contracts and firings have anything to do with Board Trustees fiduciary responsibilities in todays multi billion dollar college football industry. I SUSPECT these kinds of costs, amounts owed at firing, are invariably paid by wealthy boosters in some fashion.

Not sure if these kinds of contracts and firings have anything to do with Board Trustees fiduciary responsibilities in todays multi billion dollar college football industry. I SUSPECT these kinds of costs, amounts owed at firing, are invariably paid by wealthy boosters in some fashion.
Let’s start with the “10 year” contract.

That’s one hell of a gamble on any incoming coach.

I’d have to research it, but my gut tells me that the arrangement you suggest may be a prohibited transaction.

It most certainly projects a seriously negative optic if made public.

Keep in mind that Texas A&M is a public university, a state of Texas institution.

To suggest that the board of trustees conspired with wealthy alumni to have them offset the cost of Jimbo’s contract might also run afoul of the law and/or NCAA regulations.

Time will tell.

The interesting questions are: What will his successor’s contract look like ?

And, will Urban Meyer be a candidate ?

I’d have to research it, but my gut tells me that the arrangement you suggest may be a prohibited transaction.

Keep in mind that Texas A&M is a public university, a state of Texas institution.

To suggest that the board of trustees conspired with wealthy alumni to have them offset the cost of Jimbo’s contract might also run afoul of the law and/or NCAA regulations.

Time will tell.

I’ll be interested to read what your research reveals. I would think Elko and Urban are on their short list. I hope we stick with our five year construct and hate to think the better coaches will routinely demand ten year deals.

Last edited:

Time will tell.

Found this:
Texas A&M University fired head football coach Jimbo Fisher on Sunday.

The university will owe Fisher more than $75 million to buy out his contract, a record amount of money owed to a football coach.

According to a source familiar with discussions, no public money will be used to pay out the massive contract. A&M keeps its athletics funds and institutional funds separate. When major college football programs buy out their football coaches, they often use donor money. The Texas A&M University System directed questions to the university athletics department, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A press conference to discuss the decision is scheduled for 5 p.m. Sunday.

“After very careful analysis of all the components related to Texas A&M football, I recommended to President Welsh and then Chancellor Sharp that a change in the leadership of the program was necessary in order for Aggie football to reach our full potential and they accepted my decision," said Athletic Director Ross Bjork in a statement. "We appreciate Coach Fisher’s time here at Texas A&M and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”

I’ll be interested to read what your research reveals. I would think Elcho and Urban are on their short list. I hope we stick with our five year construct and hate to think the better coaches will routinely demand ten year deals.
In this new environment with NIL and the TP, 10 years is a very risky roll of the dice for any coach, let alone a new coach who is untested at the contracting school

In this new environment with NIL and the TP, 10 years is a very risky roll of the dice for any coach, let alone a new coach who is untested at the contracting school
Jimbo and Kelly and Riley each signed for minimum $100M 10 year contracts. Doubt any will last the length of the contract, and hope this sends a message to ADs. Pay big bucks but limit to 5 yrs max.

Found this:
Texas A&M University fired head football coach Jimbo Fisher on Sunday.

The university will owe Fisher more than $75 million to buy out his contract, a record amount of money owed to a football coach.

According to a source familiar with discussions, no public money will be used to pay out the massive contract. A&M keeps its athletics funds and institutional funds separate. When major college football programs buy out their football coaches, they often use donor money. The Texas A&M University System directed questions to the university athletics department, which did not immediately respond to a request for comment. A press conference to discuss the decision is scheduled for 5 p.m. Sunday.

“After very careful analysis of all the components related to Texas A&M football, I recommended to President Welsh and then Chancellor Sharp that a change in the leadership of the program was necessary in order for Aggie football to reach our full potential and they accepted my decision," said Athletic Director Ross Bjork in a statement. "We appreciate Coach Fisher’s time here at Texas A&M and we wish him the best in his future endeavors.”
So a separate athletic fund will reimburse Texas A&M for the buy-out, that’s very interesting !

I don‘t see how a public institution can divert and segregate funds donated to TAM into an unrelated/related entity.
That arrangement is fraught with abuse, it’s basically creating unlimited funds outside of the official athletic and football budgets for totally discretionary use by the athletic department and football departmen.

Jimbo and Kelly and Riley each signed for minimum $100M 10 year contracts. Doubt any will last the length of the contract, and hope this sends a message to ADs. Pay big bucks but limit to 5 yrs max.
10 years is irresponsible, if not reckless !

It brings up another issue.
Who bears the ultimate responsibility for what I perceive is institutional misconduct, the AD, President, BOT, or all of the above.

This can’t be isolated and confined to the AD, the culpability is not individual, but rather institutional !

Supposedly there is no offset so he could coach again in a few years and get paid by 2 sources. Crazy.
Waiting for Chace to comment....how could this happen with all those 5 star players and their unlimited football budget?

• Wow
Supposedly there is no offset so he could coach again in a few years and get paid by 2 sources. Crazy.
Waiting for Chace to comment....how could this happen with all those 5 star players and their unlimited football budget?
That’s a legitimate question !

Jimbo is owed $76 MILLION if fired...yes, $76 MILLION!
And that number has been adjusted for years remaining on the contract and possible off-sets?

As for the accounting debate, I believe it's perfectly normal for the boosters to set up a fund segregated from the University budget and use it to pay the head coach.

And that number has been adjusted for years remaining on the contract and possible off-sets?

As for the accounting debate, I believe it's perfectly normal for the boosters to set up a fund segregated from the University budget and use it to pay the head coach.
Except that this is a public institution under the control of the state of Texas.

As such I believe that he has to be paid as an employee of TAM

Reactions: NDinNJ
Except that this is a public institution under the control of the state of Texas.

As such I believe that he has to be paid as an employee of TAM
Yes, where the school gets the funds from is not significant. The school can then allocate those funds as they wish.

Rutgers is the biggest example of a university running amuck, diverting funds to the football program. There have been several articles showing how mismanaged the university is as it pertains to the football/athletic department.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT