ADVERTISEMENT

James Onwualu

hoopsstar12

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 16, 2008
Can he be converted to free safety to give depth to the position? He started at wide receiver in his career so he obviously has speed and can catch the ball. He also has played linebacker so he can hit and tackle. With a lot of linebacker talent on the team next year, I see this as a good potential move- call it a plan B for Redfield. Any thoughts?

Hoopstar -

I like your thought process -- all guess work where we are sitting ( not attending practices ) but he would seem to have the DNA to play centerfield as would Procise if injuries dictated we have to go that route

When I read James's recruiting bio it said athlete and he was very aggressive at attacking and catching the ball in the air. His size is similar to Redfield although Onwualu is listed at 220 v. 201 for Redfield. I think Prosise is too valuable on offense. I know we are loaded on offense but Prosise is gritty and he makes big plays when they are needed.

i saw him play a couple times while at cretin. he didn't play much on defense b/c the games were not that close. nobody threw his direction when he was in during the games i saw.

Not sure that a 3rd position in 3 years is the best thing for Onawualu. I like keeping him at LB in the event Schmidt has regression related to last years injuries and/or Morgan needs more time developing. I think moving Butler from CB to free is a better move.

3rd position in 3 years is tough but I believe safety should have been the initial move. He was NDs weakest defender/starter last year and never looked comfortable playing LB.. No way he should be moved inside either.

If Schmidt cant go the most likely scenario is Morgan and Coney battle to repalce Schmidt with JO playing opposite Jaylon on the outside.

Seems like a good position for him. Hard to tell not being at every practice. I think the staff has a lot of options available to fill the safety needs.

Yeah, I thought the same thing with Onwualu. We are depleted at safety. He transitioned over to linebacker. Why not give him a shot at safety? He was recruited as a wide receiver. Need the depth. After Redfield and Shumate, we have inexperience. Tranquill coming off injury and Avery is injury prone. Any word on Baratti?

Like him at linebacker .reads as a safety concern .Besides we need some speed at the linebacker positions .I have watched teams who have a lot of speed at the linebacker positions and I like the way they close and stretch the defense on the edges .leave him at linebacker

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT