ADVERTISEMENT

Is Parker still calling plays

edub72

All Star
Jan 17, 2018
There’s been chatter that Parker won’t be calling plays anymore. Is this true?

You still trolling? Why don't you get a job? There is dignity in work.
Yes, but there is pleasure in leisure. And satisfaction. Dignity is a notion invented, or at least co-opted, and wrested from it's more austere origins, to subjugate the confused and the forsaken....

So what, is Parker still going to call the plays, what's the story? Or is the motherfcker fired.....

Yes, but there is pleasure in leisure. And satisfaction. Dignity is a notion invented, or at least co-opted, and wrested from it's more austere origins, to subjugate the confused and the forsaken....

So what, is Parker still going to call the plays, what's the story? Or is the motherfcker fired.....
He should find dignity working - at Walmart

Reactions: savvyandsassier
Top flight OCs don’t call plays. They problem solve as the game goes on. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Keep running what’s working.

But, if it is broke? Fix it during the game. Don’t take an L, then fix it during film review session and next weeks practice plan. It’s too late.

ND had more than enough talent to solve the problems Duke, Louisville and Clemson threw at them. But the staff displayed no ability to problem solve during the game. As a result ND took 2 Ls, and narrowly avoided taking a 3rd L.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and Tru2Irish
Top flight OCs don’t call plays. They problem solve as the game goes on. If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Keep running what’s working.

But, if it is broke? Fix it during the game. Don’t take an L, then fix it during film review session and next weeks practice plan. It’s too late.

ND had more than enough talent to solve the problems Duke, Louisville and Clemson threw at them. But the staff displayed no ability to problem solve during the game. As a result ND took 2 Ls, and narrowly avoided taking a 3rd L.
Well, they do call plays too. But they also do what you said.

Reactions: theskibro
Well, they do call plays too. But they also do what you said.
Yes, but a 3rd grader can pick up a play sheet and say the words Doubles Rt 72 Razor Y Seam

But at school like ND, the OC needs to be able to say when the defense does A, I can counter with B and execute it.

When Lou was at ND, ND was primarily an I run team. When teams would show a heavy box. Lou would go to the option game, twins sets and double TE sets and that controlled the coverages and the fronts.

ND was not a Wishbone or Flexbone offense. But they could run enough option to keep defenses from loading boxes and playing press coverage.

Since the O in RPO is Option. And Sam Hartman was one of the best RPO QBs at WF, and ND is struggling with loaded boxes press man and getting people not named Mitchell Evans open.

It’s beyond coaching malpractice to not have the RPO, as an element to counter what was happening at Duke, Louisville and Clemson.

Reactions: 4-4-3 and Tru2Irish
Yes, but a 3rd grader can pick up a play sheet and say the words Doubles Rt 72 Razor Y Seam

But at school like ND, the OC needs to be able to say when the defense does A, I can counter with B and execute it.

When Lou was at ND, ND was primarily an I run team. When teams would show a heavy box. Lou would go to the option game, twins sets and double TE sets and that controlled the coverages and the fronts.

ND was not a Wishbone or Flexbone offense. But they could run enough option to keep defenses from loading boxes and playing press coverage.

Since the O in RPO is Option. And Sam Hartman was one of the best RPO QBs at WF, and ND is struggling with loaded boxes press man and getting people not named Mitchell Evans open.

It’s beyond coaching malpractice to not have the RPO, as an element to counter what was happening at Duke, Louisville and Clemson.
Yes, this is all true. Having a masterplan, and sort of a meta-appreciation of the game itself that is developing around you, and responding accordingly and effectively, over and above the individual play calls in and of themselves, is definitely a big part of the job. Or indeed is the job in its entirety.

I don't know enough about football to in anyway speak to the specific failings of our offense during this long underwhelming stretch, but it's pretty clear even to the untrained eye that this offense sucks.

That's an interesting thought, maybe that could be a gimmick for fan participation in the internet age, where fans get to call the plays. Out of a small bevy of options, which the OC/staff would provide for a fan to choose from at a given down and distance. So no matter what play was chosen, ti would at least be halfway suitable to the situation.

I like Parker as a TE coach. He however is way over his head at OC. The only teams the O has dominated are poorly defensive teams. USC included. He has no answers for good to great Ds and adjusting in game to them. Thus, he is not an OC in the true sense of the job. He does not alter his plays by seeing what the D is doing on the field. There has got to be a change after season or Freeman is kaput.

I like Parker as a TE coach. He however is way over his head at OC. The only teams the O has dominated are poorly defensive teams. USC included. He has no answers for good to great Ds and adjusting in game to them. Thus, he is not an OC in the true sense of the job. He does not alter his plays by seeing what the D is doing on the field. There has got to be a change after season or Freeman is kaput.
We weren't actually good vs USC. The defense really did win that game.

So no credit meted out for that victory, to the offense, even though we scored 48 points.

We weren't actually good vs USC. The defense really did win that game.

So no credit meted out for that victory, to the offense, even though we scored 48 points.
The offense lost chances to gain yards because of the USC turnovers and a kickoff return for a TD.

It could have probably been better but they put together some good drives.

People are down on the offense but they dominated their 3 weak opponent earlier in the year, dominated a good NC State defense, and I’d say dominated a good Ohio State defense — it just didn’t show up on the scoreboard. Dominated Pitt. Against Clemson they ran the ball very well in the first half.

I’m not saying its a great offense but I feel they’re being undervalued. Turnovers are killing the offense. There seems to be an identity issue as well where they don’t really have a base offense. Not sure why that is or how many teams are like that.

The offense lost chances to gain yards because of the USC turnovers and a kickoff return for a TD.

It could have probably been better but they put together some good drives.

People are down on the offense but they dominated their 3 weak opponent earlier in the year, dominated a good NC State defense, and I’d say dominated a good Ohio State defense — it just didn’t show up on the scoreboard. Dominated Pitt. Against Clemson they ran the ball very well in the first half.

I’m not saying its a great offense but I feel they’re being undervalued. Turnovers are killing the offense. There seems to be an identity issue as well where they don’t really have a base offense. Not sure why that is or how many teams are like that.
Yeah, that's true. But we had 250 yards total offense, so there's only so much credit to be given...

However I don't think the offense is undervalued. I think it sucks, and we need a new OC with an all-new system or whatever he happens to bring to the table....

Yeah, that's true. But we had 250 yards total offense, so there's only so much credit to be given...

However I don't think the offense is undervalued. I think it sucks, and we need a new OC with an all-new system or whatever he happens to bring to the table....
That’s what I mean. They only have 251 yards largely in part because of short fields. They scored from the USC 2, 12 and a return for a TD. There were only 14 yards to be gained and they gained all 14 of them.

They probably could have done more that game too as USC isn’t a good defensive team. But they also came up short statistically because of the way the game went.

That’s what I mean. They only have 251 yards largely in part because of short fields. They scored from the USC 2, 12 and a return for a TD. There were only 14 yards to be gained and they gained all 14 of them.

They probably could have done more that game too as USC isn’t a good defensive team. But they also came up short statistically because of the way the game went.
Yeah, I get that, but they still don't get credit for putting up 500 yards or whatnot that they didn't actually put up. So while the offense didn't have to be particularly prolific in order for the team to score 48 points, it doesn't mean they would have if the necessity was there. I would characterize it by saying the offense got lucky they only had to put up 250 yards in order for the team to win as convincingly we did, given how suspect the offense had/has been otherwise.

So good on them for at least gaining those 14 yards....

Reactions: FightingIrish44
That was discredited. He is calling plays, but Gino is helping more with the set up and scheme during the week.
Gino was awful when calling plays at Cincy. They went from usually scoring 30 pts per game before him to never scoring more than 30 with him. He’s a qb coach and has no credibility to call plays for ND. Just like Parker, the TE coach.

Reactions: mirer03
Gino was awful when calling plays at Cincy. They went from usually scoring 30 pts per game before him to never scoring more than 30 with him. He’s a qb coach and has no credibility to call plays for ND. Just like Parker, the TE coach.
Agreed. This is more of making the gameplay more collaborative but parker will still own play calling.

One thing nobody knows is how much input does the Head Coach have on the offense? Does a head coach from the offensive side of the ball like a BK, Harbaugh, Jimbo, Franklin, M Norvell, Swinney etc. who do not call plays, modify the OC's system and play calling to their own personal liking as it is their right to do.

Or does a head coach from the defensive side of the ball like a Saban, K Smart, K Whittingham, Freeman, go over and make the offense play more conservatively and complimentary. As it is their right to do.

The OC gets the full brunt when things go wrong but sometimes it could be a top-down issue. Only people in the building would know that.

Agreed. This is more of making the gameplay more collaborative but parker will still own play calling.
I have no issue with collaboration, although some talking heads think there are too many cooks in the kitchen, I think they have mostly sous-chefs

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT