ADVERTISEMENT

IrishMike

Golson5

All Star
Apr 15, 2019
I know how much you love the OL talk.

Craig and Schrauth played really well today. That might be the future of the interior

If Zeke wants to come back, I might have to advise him against that if I'm the coach

Ashton looks more talented

Reactions: IrishMike409
Craig looked good, but actually thought his play against Clemson was more impressive. He was going against much bigger, stronger, more impressive athletes against Clemson. Seriously doubt Zeke would be passed over, but hope he chooses not to come back. Craig has the kind of size and strength we need at center against some of the monsters across from center on some of our competition.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Craig looked good, but actually thought his play against Clemson was more impressive. He was going against much bigger, stronger, more impressive athletes against Clemson. Seriously doubt Zeke would be passed over, but hope he chooses not to come back. Craig has the kind of size and strength we need at center against some of the monsters across from center on some of our competition.
Craig was good last week and this week. He's bigger and stronger than Zeke.

If they have an open competition I'd be surprised if Craig didn't win it.

Sometimes it's on the best interest of both parties if a player decides to move on

Appreciate you reaching out and starting this thread. Was busy during the day today. Recorded the game, and just finished it a few min ago.

I’m encouraged that Craig and Schrauth looked as good as they did. We’ve got so many options up front, I can’t wait to see how things develop over the next 8-9 months.

I noticed that Garrett was advocating for Fisher to come back and move to LT, and even went as far to say he could play his way into the 1st round. Wow would that be something. Assume Fisher comes back and has one of the Tackle spots…..the other T spot should come down to Jagusah vs Wagner, most likely. It really sounds like Jagusah might just be too good to keep off the field.

Inside- I love that Craig has emerged. Given his size, it just seems like he’s an upgrade over Zeke. I’m really curious how the staff feels about Zeke coming back for another year.

We’ve got probably 4-5 guys who could start at Guard next season. If Schrauth develops this off-season, I don’t see how he isn’t able to earn one of the starting roles. Of course Rocco will be in the mix, as well as Coogan. Maybe Jagusah too. Pendleton and Chan will want to be in the hunt as well.

Tons of possibilities and I’ll love speculating here during the next 7-8 months. It would be nice to have the OL solidified and really in-sync for the Texas AM game. We could easily have a first time starter at QB, and will need the OL/run game to be strong. I can’t wait to see it.

Appreciate you reaching out and starting this thread. Was busy during the day today. Recorded the game, and just finished it a few min ago.

I’m encouraged that Craig and Schrauth looked as good as they did. We’ve got so many options up front, I can’t wait to see how things develop over the next 8-9 months.

I noticed that Garrett was advocating for Fisher to come back and move to LT, and even went as far to say he could play his way into the 1st round. Wow would that be something. Assume Fisher comes back and has one of the Tackle spots…..the other T spot should come down to Jagusah vs Wagner, most likely. It really sounds like Jagusah might just be too good to keep off the field.

Inside- I love that Craig has emerged. Given his size, it just seems like he’s an upgrade over Zeke. I’m really curious how the staff feels about Zeke coming back for another year.

We’ve got probably 4-5 guys who could start at Guard next season. If Schrauth develops this off-season, I don’t see how he isn’t able to earn one of the starting roles. Of course Rocco will be in the mix, as well as Coogan. Maybe Jagusah too. Pendleton and Chan will want to be in the hunt as well.

Tons of possibilities and I’ll love speculating here during the next 7-8 months. It would be nice to have the OL solidified and really in-sync for the Texas AM game. We could easily have a first time starter at QB, and will need the OL/run game to be strong. I can’t wait to see it.
Dont forget Baker at one of the table spots. He'll have a chance as well

He's the first man in at tackle still. He may explore but from a ND podcast last night they said the staff really likes him and thinks highly of him
Shit…..if that’s the case great. It means we’ve got some big time decisions to make at G.

And we’ll also see what happens w Fisher. This nothing but me essentially guessing, but I just don’t sense he loves college. If he can earn a spot in the 3rd or 4th round, then there’s a real chance he leaves.

Even without Fisher- the OL is loaded w talent: Schrauth, Rocco, Baker, Wagner, Jagusah, Craig, Pendleton, Chan, Coogan, and maybe Zeke too.

10 quality potential starters, even without Alt and Fisher. And I probably left a guy or 2 out.

Shit…..if that’s the case great. It means we’ve got some big time decisions to make at G.

And we’ll also see what happens w Fisher. This nothing but me essentially guessing, but I just don’t sense he loves college. If he can earn a spot in the 3rd or 4th round, then there’s a real chance he leaves.

Even without Fisher- the OL is loaded w talent: Schrauth, Rocco, Baker, Wagner, Jagusah, Craig, Pendleton, Chan, Coogan, and maybe Zeke too.

10 quality potential starters, even without Alt and Fisher. And I probably left a guy or 2 out.
If Fisher leaves, we'll be extremely inexperienced at tackle. Although talented. They may look at the portal if Fisher decides to leave. I think he needs to stay very much but if he is wants to leave, nothing they could do

Tackles - Baker Wagner Jagusah ? We'd need another guy there. I do not think Chan is a tackle. Maybe Absher.

Guards - Schrauth Spindler Coogan Pendleton Chan

Center - Craig Otting poss (pos switch)

Decisions will have to be made by team or player on Zeke, Kristofic and Carmody

I know how much you love the OL talk.

Craig and Schrauth played really well today. That might be the future of the interior

If Zeke wants to come back, I might have to advise him against that if I'm the coach

Ashton looks more talented
And bigger. Zeke just gets manhandled 1-2 times per game

Reactions: Golson5
I hate to come down on Zeke, but he’s also likely as good as he’s gonna get.

Craig should be able to ascend this off-season. He could emerge as a really good player.
Totally get this. I REALLY thought he was too small and overmatched when he first played in place of an injured Patterson, but coaches loved him. He surprised me last year as I thought he played very well. This season I can’t tell the extent he owns some of the breakdown in our interior DL on pass plays, especially against Louisville, but likelihood is both Rocco and Coogan missed assignments. BUT, as good As his technique might be, and his increased weight and strength, he still struggles against big powerful guys playing on his nose. As noted, he gets knocked on his ass a couple times per game by bigger more powerful nose guards, and he is challenged on short yardage plays where he struggles to get much push. His leadership is reportedly exceptional. But I really hope he decides to move onto his chosen career, and we have Craig and his size manning this position next year.

Totally get this. I REALLY thought he was too small and overmatched when he first played in place of an injured Patterson, but coaches loved him. He surprised me last year as I thought he played very well. This season I can’t tell the extent he owns some of the breakdown in our interior DL on pass plays, especially against Louisville, but likelihood is both Rocco and Coogan missed assignments. BUT, as good As his technique might be, and his increased weight and strength, he still struggles against big powerful guys playing on his nose. As noted, he gets knocked on his ass a couple times per game by bigger more powerful nose guards, and he is challenged on short yardage plays where he struggles to get much push. His leadership is reportedly exceptional. But I really hope he decides to move onto his chosen career, and we have Craig and his size manning this position next year.
Do you go think Craig has a much higher ceiling than Zeke?

Do you think Rocco is certain to start at Guard next year?

Do you go think Craig has a much higher ceiling than Zeke?

Do you think Rocco is certain to start at Guard next year?
Yes, I think Craig has a higher ceiling largely because he is bigger and stronger, and he will only get stronger. Zeke apparently excelled at calling out OL assignments, leadership, and being technically sound and assignment correct. We don’t know if Craig will achieve Zeke’s level in these, but I’m sick of seeing our center get knocked on his ass by Bigger stronger nose guards, and I’m sick of having no push up the center on short yardage runs. I am hopeful Craig will considerably exceed Zeke’s ceiling.

i think Shrauth is way too good to sit another year, and I fully expect he’ll win one of the guard spots. I think Rocco played better than Coogan overall, and assuming he fully recovers and gets good work in this Spring, I do expect Rocco to win the other guard spot. But, he will have competition beyond Coogan, andI am anxious to see how Chan develops and competes.

Yes, I think Craig has a higher ceiling largely because he is bigger and stronger, and he will only get stronger. Zeke apparently excelled at calling out OL assignments, leadership, and being technically sound and assignment correct. We don’t know if Craig will achieve Zeke’s level in these, but I’m sick of seeing our center get knocked on his ass by Bigger stronger nose guards, and I’m sick of having no push up the center on short yardage runs. I am hopeful Craig will considerably exceed Zeke’s ceiling.

i think Shrauth is way too good to sit another year, and I fully expect he’ll win one of the guard spots. I think Rocco played better than Coogan overall, and assuming he fully recovers and gets good work in this Spring, I do expect Rocco to win the other guard spot. But, he will have competition beyond Coogan, andI am anxious to see how Chan develops and competes.
Craig and Zeke are actually very similar on size.

Craig plays a lot BIGGER than Zeke does.

There is zero reason to bring Zeke back.

Schrauth is also a lock IMHO at one of the guard spots. That largely leaves Spindler, Pendleton, and coogan competing for the other guard spot. I really don't see ND being able to keep Pendleton off the field, especially if spindlers knee keeps him out this spring.

Jagusah and absher competing for rt looks if fisher returns.

I really don't see baker earning a starting role at this point.

Schrauth is also a lock IMHO at one of the guard spots. That largely leaves Spindler, Pendleton, and coogan competing for the other guard spot. I really don't see ND being able to keep Pendleton off the field, especially if spindlers knee keeps him out this spring.

Why do you think Pendleton over Rocco?

Wagner out?

I soured on Baker a few years ago, but he has to be in the mix for a tackle spot if Fisher doesn’t return. Jagusah and Wagner would be favored, but who else do we have competing for tackle? Baker more than looks the part. The guy is huge!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT