ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Intel: More notes from Notre Dame's recruiting weekend

Tyler James

I've posted how many times?
Staff
Dec 31, 2021
First things first, as I stated in this thread, the Irish look to be in good position to land their first commitment from one of Notre Dame's weekend visitors when unrated offensive lineman Anthonie Knapp announces his commitment decision Wednesday. Click through to the other thread to read my thoughts on Knapp.

But the information I know you're most interested in is related to five-star defensive tackle Justin Scott's visit.

Everything I've heard has indicated that Scott had a great visit and that Notre Dame's regaining some confidence in his recruitment. Prior to Scott's visit, it was noteworthy that he scheduled official visits to Georgia and Ohio State for June, but that he didn't have unofficial visits lined up with them for April. Both programs were expecting to get him on campus this spring and that doesn't seem to be the case at this point.

Notre Dame's going to continue to push the academic side of things for Scott, because that's what his parents are most interested in. And Notre Dame isn't getting farther away from Chicago, so proximity is helpful here too.

I didn't like ND's chances with Scott a couple weeks ago, but I think the Irish are right back in the mix now. Georgia will still be tough to beat.

Notre Dame put itself right in the mix with four-star DE Loghan Thomas, a 2024 recruit, as a long visit that was practically like an official visit. And there's a good chance the Irish get him back on campus for an official visit too.

It's going to be interesting to see how the defensive line class shakes out because there's a growing number of recruits who are highly interested, but no one has sprinted to make a commitment since Owen Wafle last May. I'll be fascinated to see how the numbers work out and what that group looks like by August.

There's belief that Notre Dame made a mark on four-star cornerback Jon Mitchell, a 2024 recruit, following his visit. The Irish don't pull recruits out of Jacksonville, Fla., often, but Mitchell may end up being an exception.

Notre Dame was a bit late to the game with an offer to four-star offensive tackle Andrew Sprague, a 2024 recruit, but the Irish have started to gain some momentum with offensive line coach Joe Rudolph. Sprague previously visited ND for the Boston College game in November.

Notre Dame QB commit CJ Carr and his fellow 2024 commits may be able to push four-star tight end Jaden Reddell, a 2024 recruit, the way of the Irish. The sense is Notre Dame's in a battle with Alabama following Reddell's visit.

It's a bit too early to say that Notre Dame's in the pole position for any of the 2025 recruits who visited, but the Irish have made strong impressions on many of them. Notre Dame should be in a good spot for guys like tight end James Flanigan and linebacker Dominik Hulak as long as the staff pushes for them. Some of the names I was intrigued to hear positive things about are wide receiver Tylan Taylor, safety Jordan Young and cornerback Kevyn Humes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News