ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries

If he stopped everyone else like JJ Watt he is in the hall of fame. He had a good day and perhaps Watt a bad day. I don't buy it that this nobody guy who was good enough to stuff everyone JJ Watt and below. Someone beat him when they were having a good day and he was having a bad day. Kudo's for staying in the league that long.
thats the point. every player gets beat. your comment that football players who are great athletes "obliterate " ones that aren't is wrong. does it happen on occasion ? sure. every player regardless of ability at the nfl level gets obliterated sometimes. who said he stuffed everyone ? he played watt 4 times and watt didn't get a sack. other guys had their way with him. matchups are key.

My understanding just like the NFL combine is scores are based on pure athletic talent. It does not matter if you run a 40, a shuttle, a standing broad jump or any agility/strength measurement. The clocks do not run slower in Canada.

I'm not saying a 6 five guy with a 4.6 40 can't be a pro bowl player in the NFL. Football skill trumps all and the greatest athlete with no football skills or ambition is still a bad football player.

On other threads everyone is talking up Alize Mack because of his fabulous SPARC score and proof he is going to blow up. The one thing I know for certain is if Mack was a Michigan recruit you would be insisting how crummy he is and that his SPARC score means nothing.

If you want to live in your world that time is different in Canada and insist Claypool is the better athlete, fine. I'll take my chances on someone with a legit timed 4.45 40, a 42 vertical, and a 52 inch standing box jump. It does not catch footballs. But if you can teach someone with that ability how to highpoint the only thing left to add is how to parachute roll out of the fall.

Maybe DPJ is not ready or maybe it is shades of Mario Manningham 2006.
Chase Claypool isn't running in the 4.6's. I heard he was injured at SPARQ. You don't do this with a slow 40 and no vertical.

Not saying DPJ isn't athletic by any means. But there's people like him every year. There isn't 6'5 230 lb WRs that run like chase every year.

Chase Claypool isn't running in the 4.6's. I heard he was injured at SPARQ. You don't do this with a slow 40 and no vertical.

Not saying DPJ isn't athletic by any means. But there's people like him every year. There isn't 6'5 230 lb WRs that run like chase every year.

Chase does have an elite skill set.

Hopefully this is the year he really Saks up, buckles down, and uses that skill set to consistently dominate opponents.

He should get the opportunity to, as long as Wimbush plays well, because opponents will have to spend a large amount of their effort focusing on limiting our rushing attack and containing Wimbush

If you are going to throw video footage pull up DPJ dunking over three guys standing at the FT line at a pep rally at Cass Tech. He has to begin his leap 2-3 feet beyond the FT line.

Is there any doubt Claypool is a great athlete? No. Is there a reason why DPJ had the best SPARC score in the country? Yes, because he can jump 17 feet away from a 10 foot basketball hoop, hurdle three people and dunk. That is what you have to do to be the best overall athlete in class.

Sorry about Crawford: "Irish Sports Daily has learned through multiple sources that Notre Dame defensive back Shaun Crawford tore his ACL in practice on Tuesday afternoon."

Reactions: 8th Man
thats the point. every player gets beat. your comment that football players who are great athletes "obliterate " ones that aren't is wrong. does it happen on occasion ? sure. every player regardless of ability at the nfl level gets obliterated sometimes. who said he stuffed everyone ? he played watt 4 times and watt didn't get a sack. other guys had their way with him. matchups are key.
I don't get your point. For whatever reason JJ Watt did not get a sack. Maybe someone had his number. Maybe the game plan was to roll out away from his side. Maybe make sure the ball is out in 1.5 seconds. Maybe Watt beat him a lot and someone else got the sack. I agree for any given play and any given Sunday someone else can win. But over many games JJ Watt gets a billion dollars because more often than not he does win. Every team wants the next JJ Watt which is why they will give an athletic freak who is raw a cloer look than a football player who has limits.

Sorry about Crawford: "Irish Sports Daily has learned through multiple sources that Notre Dame defensive back Shaun Crawford tore his ACL in practice on Tuesday afternoon."

Already been discussed at length.

ND already adjusted the nickel position yesterday.
We don’t make excuses, we just show up & play.

Already been discussed at length.

ND already adjusted the nickel position yesterday.
We don’t make excuses, we just show up & play.

Lol. I posted this three minutes ago and the only other post on this topic is by you a minute later. So where on this board has it been "discussed at length"?

And who accused you of making excuses? You are the king of straw men.

Lol. I posted this three minutes ago and the only other post on this topic is by you a minute later. So where on this board has it been "discussed at length"?

And who accused you of making excuses? You are the king of straw men.

On the Premium board.

And Michigan is known (and you know this) for making excuses.
Their actual motto is “we don’t lose games, we just run out of time.”
LOL
It was the rain.
It was a bad spot.
The punter didn’t know the protection.
He was interfered with.

On the Premium board.

This isn't the premium board.

And all fan bases include fans who make excuses. "The Big Ten refs screwed us!!" "The conferences won't vote for us!" "We're the only program that plays by the rules!" etc etc etc.

If you are going to throw video footage pull up DPJ dunking over three guys standing at the FT line at a pep rally at Cass Tech. He has to begin his leap 2-3 feet beyond the FT line.

Is there any doubt Claypool is a great athlete? No. Is there a reason why DPJ had the best SPARC score in the country? Yes, because he can jump 17 feet away from a 10 foot basketball hoop, hurdle three people and dunk. That is what you have to do to be the best overall athlete in class.

Watched video, rim looks lowered. I get he’s a great athlete, there’s a ton of them, not many though st 6’5 230 is my point... I guess dpj should burn every cb in the country or jump over them.

Injuries happen to every team.

This is why depth is so important, at every position.
I don’t see us having amazing injury luck like we have the past 2 season. This is a big one and awful timing. Someone probably has to change positions like Houston Griffith. Maybe nick Coleman moves from safety to nickel. Maybe the play D. Vaughn more and bump pride in.

You’re right, still zero excuse. Crawford is a guy you have to almost expect to get hurt.

Watched video, rim looks lowered. I get he’s a great athlete, there’s a ton of them, not many though st 6’5 230 is my point... I guess dpj should burn every cb in the country or jump over them.
Please. We all know tony jones is twice the athlete of Claypool and DPJ

I don’t see us having amazing injury luck like we have the past 2 season. This is a big one and awful timing. Someone probably has to change positions like Houston Griffith. Maybe nick Coleman moves from safety to nickel. Maybe the play D. Vaughn more and bump pride in.

You’re right, still zero excuse. Crawford is a guy you have to almost expect to get hurt.

Why would someone have to change positions because of a player who isn't a starter??

Coleman was always the "Big Nickel", and since he's also the starting FS ... meaning that when we went to Nickel formations Coleman was going to slide to NB and someone (probably Elliott of Griffith) comes in at FS.

That's still going to happen.

I don’t see us having amazing injury luck like we have the past 2 season.

In what way have we had fantastic injury luck?

Our starting QB (Wimbush) missed game(s).

Our star RB (Adams) was banged up most of the season, as were our primary backup RBs (Dexter and Jones).

One of our starting WRs (Cameron Smith) was out nearly all of the season.

Our starting LB (Martini) missed games.

etc.

We didn't have crushing, crushing injuries like we did in 2014, but we were far from perfectly healthy.

In what way have we had fantastic injury luck?

Our starting QB (Wimbush) missed game(s).

Our star RB (Adams) was banged up most of the season, as were our primary backup RBs (Dexter and Jones).

One of our starting WRs (Cameron Smith) was out nearly all of the season.

Our starting LB (Martini) missed games.

etc.

We didn't have crushing, crushing injuries like we did in 2014, but we were far from perfectly healthy.
-5 points for you for claiming losing cam Smith is even remotely close to having a smidge of relevancy when discussing injury.

Wimbush missed 1 game in which he likely could have played. Literally every team in the country has injuries at linebacker and running back every year...

We were extremely fortunate in regards to injuries the past 2 years, any claim that we weren’t is
a- making excuses for BK
b- flat out wrong

-5 points for you for claiming losing cam Smith is even remotely close to having a smidge of relevancy when discussing injury.

Wimbush missed 1 game in which he likely could have played. Literally every team in the country has injuries at linebacker and running back every year...

We were extremely fortunate in regards to injuries the past 2 years, any claim that we weren’t is
a- making excuses for BK
b- flat out wrong

Wrong, again.
Will you ever get anything right?

Cam Smith was a starting WR for us. Not just in name, but also in snap count (pre-injury). We lost a starting WR for the season.

We lost a starting QB, LB, RB, etc. for important games. That's quite a bit.

That's pretty standard injury for a team.
Seasons like 2014 are the outlier, not the other way around.

2017 wasn't "fortunate" on the injury front, but it wasn't bad either.

Pure odds would say that's what to expect on any representative season.

Wrong, again.
Will you ever get anything right?

Cam Smith was a starting WR for us. Not just in name, but also in snap count (pre-injury). We lost a starting WR for the season.

We lost a starting QB, LB, RB, etc. for important games. That's quite a bit.

That's pretty standard injury for a team.
Seasons like 2014 are the outlier, not the other way around.

2017 wasn't "fortunate" on the injury front, but it wasn't bad either.

Pure odds would say that's what to expect on any representative season.
Okay Friedman... you’re the only person I’ve ever heard claim ND didn’t have unusually great injury luck. Losing Wimby to a garbage NC team in a game he could have played is a non factor. Find me one running back in the country who plays serious snaps who doesn’t get banged up over time. Greer martini missed a few games yes, which is par for the course for a linebacker.

So the only season ending injury I can think of off the top of my head is cam smith, who I forgot was even a person.

All 3 running backs would have played if they had a position coach with a pulse who they respected. Adams in particular just disappointed me. I’ve never seen a rb take himself out of the game like he did at the CFB level. The guy basically sat out a game because of finals. Adams who is fighting on being the 53rd man on my Eagles missed the 3rd and most important preseason game with an injury he 100% could have played through. I know he’s a great kid but man oh man.

Okay Friedman... you’re the only person I’ve ever heard claim ND didn’t have unusually great injury luck. Losing Wimby to a garbage NC team in a game he could have played is a non factor. Find me one running back in the country who plays serious snaps who doesn’t get banged up over time. Greer martini missed a few games yes, which is par for the course for a linebacker.

So the only season ending injury I can think of off the top of my head is cam smith, who I forgot was even a person.

All 3 running backs would have played if they had a position coach with a pulse who they respected. Adams in particular just disappointed me. I’ve never seen a rb take himself out of the game like he did at the CFB level. The guy basically sat out a game because of finals. Adams who is fighting on being the 53rd man on my Eagles missed the 3rd and most important preseason game with an injury he 100% could have played through. I know he’s a great kid but man oh man.

The only correct thing you've said here is that ND's injury were par for the course, or normal/agverage, in 2017.

That's exactly what I said.

They weren't especially lucky. We lost multiple starters, some for games and some for the season, including our QB and our star RB.
But we weren't absolutely crushed by injuries like we were in 2014.

That's what is "normal" and should be "expected" in any given year.

Just a win at all costs guy. Doesn't understand ND.

Depends what "win at all costs" means.

ND needs to do MUCH better in terms of adapting to today's football reality.
  • Size of coaching support staff
  • Size of recruiting staff
  • Facilities
  • Flexibility on admissions
  • Programs to support athletes after school
  • etc.
That being said, ND has improve a ton in most of these areas already, and that improvement has mainly been driven by BK

BK is a good coach who has improved the ND program, be he's also made some definite and problematic mistakes too.

Reactions: mirer03

• Facilities
  • etc.
That being said, ND has improve a ton in most of these areas already, and that improvement has mainly been driven by BK

BK is a good coach who has improved the ND program, be he's also made some definite and problematic mistakes too.
They already do most or all of those things. ND is different and that is what makes it so great.
Every coach makes errors. It is a very difficult job.

Reactions: IrishMike409
They already do most or all of those things. ND is different and that is what makes it so great.
Every coach makes errors. It is a very difficult job.

They do some amount of all of these things, but I need to do much more of each of them.

Notre Dame can step up his game in each of these areas without losing the stuff that makes it special.

That being said, I agree with you About how hard it is to Coach at a place like Notre Dame.

Just a win at all costs guy. Doesn't understand ND.
Chanting #WeAreND after losing to home to duke and the people who are fine with being mediocre and have “accepted their place” are far worse than me. At least I’m passionate and care far more than I probably should!

Chanting #WeAreND after losing to home to duke and the people who are fine with being mediocre and have “accepted their place” are far worse than me. At least I’m passionate and care far more than I probably should!
Nobody is fine with being mediocre. You care about the football team. Big deal. It is a fantastic academic institution.

a- making excuses for BK
b- flat out wrong

• Facilities
  • etc.

staff size is pretty much the same as alabamas just with different titles.

who is " fine " with it ?

This isn't the premium board.

And all fan bases include fans who make excuses. "The Big Ten refs screwed us!!" "The conferences won't vote for us!" "We're the only program that plays by the rules!" etc etc etc.

Those things are true :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT