ADVERTISEMENT

If It Isn't This It's That

Rich Starkey

All Star
Gold Member
Dec 29, 2013
Ohio
That pretty much sums things up for me while I watched the game yesterday. Before I get to that, I spent a while doing some college football math this morning, and here's what I was trying to figure out. If Clemson squeaks by Georgia Tech 14 - 8, and this is the same Georgia Tech team that got beat by Northern Illinois 22 - 21, and the same Northern Illinois team that got beat by Michigan 63 - 10, does that mean that Michigan beats Clemson? I think part of my problem deciphering all this is because it must be that "New Math" that my mom always talked about when I was a kid and needed help on my homework. That seems to be what the Board thinks, so it must be right.

Let's talk Tommy Rees. Early in the game, I felt it was more of the same. I was hoping for quick passes, play action to set up deeper throws, and to find ways of protecting the QB against an onslaught of defenders coming at Coan. That was pretty much a fail early on, however I thought he adjusted very well, and created some nice opportunities for the offense. We did get away from the slow hand-offs to the RB's, and I thought that it helped in the run game, and more importantly helped an O line out that has been struggling. Rees has set the offense up to succeed, as I'll mention below, but it takes the players to execute, and right now our big play execution isn't where it needs to be. So many of these important/big plays aren't being finished, and it's turned 3 games into nail biters.

What really made me think of if it isn't this it's that, is Jack Coan. He went 15-30 yesterday, and missed quite a few big play opportunities. In my weather thread yesterday, I mentioned that Kevin Austin was going to have a big game. He certainly set himself up for it, as he had his man beat, or was in a good position against his defender to make the catch. The problem was Coan threw a couple balls down the sideline that were out of bounds, and gave him no chance, or totally missed him wide open running down the middle of the field for a TD. He wasn't the only guy that Coan missed. He missed Lenzy, and he missed Joe on potential big plays. However, this isn't all on Coan. Austin had a chance to come down with a long ball and didn't, and he had a wide open Lenzy for a TD that was dropped. He also made some nice throws to Avery, and threaded the needle on the TD to Kyren.

The offensive line needs some help. This isn't last year, this is this year, and I'm not sure why people can't grasp that. We've had 3 different LT's all making their first starts, we have a RG that should be playing OC in my opinion, and a RT that should be playing on the interior. It's up to the staff to help this unit, and I'm not talking about technique, I'm talking about formations and play calling that is going to get the most out of them. In the second half yesterday, I felt they turned the corner a bit, and most of that was due to what we were doing offensively. There wasn't as many all out blitzes, and the protection improved. You can't block 6 with 5.

The defense stepped up yesterday. I saw some times where it wasn't an all out get to the QB type of thing, and instead was lets keep things in front of us and go make the tackle. If you've noticed, the big plays against this defense have come when we leave the middle of the field open, and that included yesterday. I'm not sure why I'm seeing Justin Ademilola positioned like a MLB on some plays. Could this be Junior's new position when he gets here? What about NaNa? I believe he was in for 24 snaps yesterday, and thought he did well, including a big play when Bell was setting up to pass. Too bad for my man Howard Cross. He's playing a position that doesn't lend well to his talents. Our defense needs a better push up the middle on passing downs, and unfortunately he's not getting it done.

The sun came up today, and the Irish are 3 -0. What I want to see out of this team is improvement, and I have. Rees and Freeman improved, and now if we can get the players to execute a little better, and finish plays, which they've all done before, then this team can be sound on both sides of the ball. There isn't a team left on the schedule that ND can't beat, but it's going to need to start playing better on both sides of the ball during the same game, and that's going to need to start next Saturday. This is a noon kickoff right? @cheta41 set your alarm clock or just don't go to bed Friday night.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News