ADVERTISEMENT

How did Buchner think he could go to Alabama and be the starting QB?

BleedingBlueNGold

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 13, 2009
Watching the bama-Georgia game currently. No way Buchner could ever hang with that level of football. Some of these young men just don’t have anyone to keep their overconfidence in check.

Reactions: Terry Jillery
Watching the bama-Georgia game currently. No way Buchner could ever hang with that level of football. Some of these young men just don’t have anyone to keep their overconfidence in check.
It does seem strange, but Jalen Milroe did not start off the season looking like any type of quarterback who could win an SEC championship game, and you can still see all the warts in his game, especially when it comes to taking huge sacks. He’s progressed about as much as any quarterback during one season that I can remember.

Reactions: HarlemIrish
He wasn’t going to beat out Hartman, so why not take a shot ?

Don’t forget Melroe was benched early in the season

I know it's not a popular opinion, but the situations of Buchner and Tommy Rees speak loudly on where Notre Dame stands as a program. The gap is showing itself to be considerable as this season concludes.

I just saw great football in the SEC championship.

Within that milieu, a former ND QB cannot see play. A former ND OC is learning steadily under a master with the best players at his service.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I know it's not a popular opinion, but the situations of Buchner and Tommy Rees speak loudly on where Notre Dame stands as a program. The gap is showing itself to be considerable as this season concludes.

I just saw great football in the SEC championship.

Within that milieu, a former ND QB cannot see play. A former ND OC is learning steadily under a master with the best players at his service.
Rees has much better players and a much better HC and much better coaching staff overall.
SO how much is all that and how much is him?

Rees has much better players and a much better HC and much better coaching staff overall.
The same as he had at ND, the offensive schemes and play calls

We're discussing this on a silly thread comparing Rees to Freeman.

:)

My take: Rees is proving he has some ability. He's reasonably progressing. Of course it speaks to the Alabama talent, coaching, and overall program management...providing an excellent environment for maximizing one's potential.

I don't think Saban would tolerate mediocrity. It seems like Rees was under some heat initially. But has course corrected, with Alabama now firing on all cylinders offensively.

Reactions: mrwigglesby21
Absurd, I never understood it either. If you can’t start at ND, you are NOT starting at Bama.

Maybe Buchner understands he's not going to get to the next level, let alone crack the depth chart at Alabama and he stays at Alabama to learn the coaching aspect from Rees. He was in the booth with him in 2022 after his injury. Why not learn the coaching side from someone like Rees and Saban.

Last edited:
LOL! I think most of us older guys can look back at the decisions we made at 20 years old, and say to ourselves, what the heck was I thinking there? I sure know I could!

Reactions: Holycrossover3
We're discussing this on a silly thread comparing Rees to Freeman.

:)

My take: Rees is proving he has some ability. He's reasonably progressing. Of course it speaks to the Alabama talent, coaching, and overall program management...providing an excellent environment for maximizing one's potential.

I don't think Saban would tolerate mediocrity. It seems like Rees was under some heat initially. But has course corrected, with Alabama now firing on all cylinders offensively.
Rees has a football pedigree. His dad was a coach and a scout, he played QB at the highest level of college football, went 23-7 as a starter at ND, for one reason, and one reason alone. His football brain.

He was mentored by Brian Kelly and currently Nick Saban (The Goat)

He spent one year in the NFL as an Offensive Assistant with the Chargers, on an offensive staff that had the following coaches.

Reactions: banmate6
Rees has a football pedigree. His dad was a coach and a scout, he played QB at the highest level of college football, went 23-7 as a starter at ND, for one reason, and one reason alone. His football brain.

He spent one year in the NFL as an Offensive Assistant with the Chargers, on an offensive staff that had the following coaches.
👍👍

Both Buchner and Pyne probably had an over-inflated sense of their abilities, when they transferred where they each did.

Reactions: NDblitz
Both Buchner and Pyne probably had an over-inflated sense of their abilities, when they transferred where they each did.
Not really. I think they both thought that they weren’t going to start at ND, so why not go elsewhere

Not really. I think they both thought that they weren’t going to start at ND, so why not go elsewhere
I'm talking about where they went. Pyne probably belongs at a G5 program, and Buchner at either a G5 or a low P5 - if they want to start.

I'm talking about where they went. Pyne probably belongs at a G5 program, and Buchner at either a G5 or a low P5 - if they want to start.
Going to Alabama with his OC doesn’t seem like a bad move.

Maybe Buchner understands he's not going to get to the next level, let alone crack the depth chart at Alabama and he stays at Alabama to learn the coaching aspect from Rees. He was in the booth with him in 2022 after his injury. Why not learn the coaching side from someone like Rees and Saban.
Or just get your degree from Notre Dame and go on to have an incredible career in the business world, leveraging the greatest network and business degree on Earth.

I’m not gonna judge the kid. It’s his life, he had to make some decisions. I get wanting a shot at Bama, and I guess in the NFL. But if we armchair quarterback the situation…..go to a smaller school closer to home, play, put up big numbers and try to force your way into an NFL camp when your eligibility is used up. It was pretty clear to almost everyone that the ND/Bama starting QB job just wasn’t going to be there for him.

But he took his shot, rolled the dice, and went after it. There is admiration in that. I can respect it.

To be blunt a lot of sons and grandsons of players and coaches turn out to be nothing special
ONE year in the NFL. whoop tee doo
Mentored by Brian Kelly (?)
NOW being mentored by Saban would be a good entry on the resume

He had just as much HS pedigree as either of those two guys he was competing with did. Plus he'd played under Rees for three years. Nothing too overconfident about it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT