ADVERTISEMENT

has anyone here donated to an NIL?

No, NIL is the new football boosters, or above table version of what was under the table. I donate to my alma mater (not ND) and I try and pick local charities that might be a bit under-served such as our local mental health society.

I respect others choices 100%, it’s your money, you work for it and should put it where it most represents your beliefs and values.

No. Waste of money but as scuba mentions…everyone has a choice to put their money where they wish.

Considered NIL but I’m not interested in supporting 18-22 year old prima donnas that say they love a university then a year later…pooof, gone. ”Student” athlete is now a joke mostly. I support the laundry (school), not the individual athlete benefits. If there is some better structure to NIL and guidelines, maybe that will change In my future giving. If someone else wants to give them money for an autograph or pay them for a commercial promo, then by all means. We are still in America.

Last edited:
No, NIL is the new football boosters, or above table version of what was under the table. I donate to my alma mater (not ND) and I try and pick local charities that might be a bit under-served such as our local mental health society.

I respect others choices 100%, it’s your money, you work for it and should put it where it most represents your beliefs and values.

I don't believe in only donating to NILs. This is just something outside of my charitable contributions. Giving to players isn't in the same category as fighting cancer. And IMO, it shouldn't be, for tax reasons.

I plan to leave most of my money to Michigan Medicine.

Go Blue

No. Waste of money but as scuba mentions…everyone has a choice to put their money where they wish.

Considered NIL but I’m not interested in supporting 18-22 year old prima donnas that say they love a university then a year later…pooof, gone. ”Student” athlete is now a joke mostly. I support the laundry (school), not the individual athlete benefits. If there is some better structure to NIL and guidelines, maybe that will change In my future giving. If someone else wants to give them money for an autograph or pay them for a commercial promo, then by all means. We are still in America.
I understand, it’s not as if the NIL’s help kids afford books or a coat in the winter to stay warm, they are used so players can drive quarter million dollar cars or live in penthouses (see Caleb Williams).

I understand, it’s not as if the NIL’s help kids afford books or a coat in the winter to stay warm, they are used so players can drive quarter million dollar cars or live in penthouses (see Caleb Williams).

Not all NILs are run the same. Not every program is USC or A&M.

And until players can get a cut of all that TV money, this is where we are.

No. Never will.

I donate to the university, and their programs that I believe in ... such as The Boler-Parseghian Center for Rare and Neglected Disease at ND, the ND Mathematics Department (I, my daughter and son-in-law are all mathematicians)

College athletics is ,I believe, just an extracurricular activity.. Important, yes, but no more important than the other courses that make up the mission of the university.

No. Never will.

I donate to the university, and their programs that I believe in ... such as The Boler-Parseghian Center for Rare and Neglected Disease at ND, the ND Mathematics Department (I, my daughter and son-in-law are all mathematicians)

College athletics is ,I believe, just an extracurricular activity.. Important, yes, but no more important than the other courses that make up the mission of the university.
Selling out stadiums in El Paso, Texas. is football driven.

Not all NILs are run the same. Not every program is USC or A&M.

And until players can get a cut of all that TV money, this is where we are.
The players need to stay focused on a piece of that scholarship. That's where their money will be.
There needs to be a cap on TV money any funds above that cap should go to St Judes, and other children's hospitals

Reactions: scubastevefl
Are you kidding me? Much as I love Fighting Irish football, I'll NEVER invest in the farce that is college football overall. Even as to ND itself, come on...billions of $ of endowment, ticket sales, memorabilia. Really expensive tuitions!

Irony: ND won't relax admissions and offer easy degrees. Won't go football factory. Yet it wants our money to juice something with NIL, which can only go so far given other restrictions?

I'll keep investing in our glorious capital markets. I hope the athletes do to with their NIL money....adding more value to my capital instruments!

:D

I splurge occasionally on college football. Best seats. I'll fly to South Bend this year to see the Irish vs FSU. On my terms. From investing in myself and family. No way am I investing directly into ND given it's refusal to be Michigan or Alabama or Ohio State.

Last salvo in my rant: I'm not alumni, but you know what...yeah, I would directly invest if the administration actually committed to being a NC. I'd also volunteer job referrals and pro bono investment advice, fulfilling a Catholic imperative for charity on behalf of athletes from challenged backgrounds. No, it wouldn't challenge much less upend ND being an EXPENSIVE ELITE school which not all can qualify and pay for.

;)

Reactions: BGI User 756
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT