ADVERTISEMENT

Hartman senior bowl

I didn't watch, but I'm assuming there must've been a really good pass rush from the other team, with numbers that bad.

I didn't watch, but I'm assuming there must've been a really good pass rush from the other team, with numbers that bad.
Agreed. Because that's poor alright. Watching old boy play for the Niners, and actually get to the Super Bowl let alone simply become an NFL starter, you'd be inclined to think Hartman could do the same thing. Or maybe he could. If Brock Purdy could do it, you might say, Sam Hartman certainly could. Or at least he could aspire to that and know it's possible.

But that's not a good Senior Bowl though, in any event.....

Agreed. Because that's poor alright. Watching old boy play for the Niners, and actually get to the Super Bowl let alone simply become an NFL starter, you'd be inclined to think Hartman could do the same thing. Or maybe he could. If Brock Purdy could do it, you might say, Sam Hartman certainly could. Or at least he could aspire to that and know it's possible.

WTF are you saying? Brock Purdy is far more talented than Hartman. Purdy for one, played just 4 years in college. Hartman stayed for 6. Purdy didn't need to take advantage of that free extra year of eligibility to hone his skills, whereas Hartman needed two additional seasons. GTFO with this comparison, it's dumb.

Reactions: Chitown11
WTF are you saying? Brock Purdy is far more talented than Hartman. Purdy for one, played just 4 years in college. Hartman stayed for 6. Purdy didn't need to take advantage of that free extra year of eligibility to hone his skills, whereas Hartman needed two additional seasons. GTFO with this comparison, it's dumb.
It's not dumb. If anything Hartman may have had a superior college career. And they're totally very similar QBs with similar careers. You're just a, I don't even know what to call you. What you mainly are is a troll. And I don't think you have sincere opinions about ANYTHING. And all you want is chatter on social media. And now that Brock Purdy is a Super Bowl QB, even though he has exactly the same profile SH did as a prolific, undersized college QB playing for a mid/lower-tier P5 program, you figure this is red meat for you to argue over. That's the only thing you care about....

Reactions: bizzybecknd
It's not dumb. If anything Hartman may have had a superior college career. And they're totally very similar QBs with similar careers. You're just a, I don't even know what to call you. What you mainly are is a troll. And I don't think you have sincere opinions about ANYTHING. And all you want is chatter on social media. And now that Brock Purdy is a Super Bowl QB, even though he has exactly the same profile SH did as a prolific, undersized college QB playing for a mid/lower-tier P5 program, you figure this is red meat for you to argue over. That's the only thing you care about....
You're an idiot. the two are nothing alike.

I keep hearing about Brock Purdy comparisons, dude was lifeless against ND in The Camping World Bowl. Coaching and teammates matter!

Reactions: NDinNJ
Brock Purdy was drafted in round 7, last player selected.

If Sam Hartman simply gets drafted, they are alike somewhat.
That may be the extent of their similarities. Being drafted on Day 3. I can pretty much guarantee Hartman will never become a regular starter.

Hartman statistically had a superior college career compared to Tom Brady as well. Certainly doesn’t mean he’s going to play in 10 Super Bowls either…

Hartman statistically had a superior college career compared to Tom Brady as well. Certainly doesn’t mean he’s going to play in 10 Super Bowls either…
Wtf is your point? I didn't compare him to Tom Brady. Because there would be no basis for that comparison at all, while there is one for comparison to Brock Purdy. So no one would ever do that, nor did I. Because it would be inapt. But you just did. I guess that's a strawman or something like that?

That may be the extent of their similarities. Being drafted on Day 3. I can pretty much guarantee Hartman will never become a regular starter.
I believe Brock Purdy and Sam Hartman had very similar CFB careers.

Wtf is your point? I didn't compare him to Tom Brady. Because there would be no basis for that comparison at all, while there is one for comparison to Brock Purdy. So no one would ever do that, nor did I. Because it would be inapt. But you just did. I guess that's a strawman or something like that?
Why compare him to Brock Purdy? Because Purdy wasn’t a top draft pick? You were comparing based off a low draft pick. Assuming Hartman could be Purdy is asinine.

I threw in Brady because he had a similar draft story to Purdy as well. My point. Purdy isn’t Brady, and Hartman isn’t Purdy. The comparisons are dumb. Just like your original point.

I keep hearing about Brock Purdy comparisons, dude was lifeless against ND in The Camping World Bowl. Coaching and teammates matter!
Our defense did a great job in that game. We sacked Purdy 4 times en route to the 33-9 win. JOK had 3 of the sacks.

Why compare him to Brock Purdy? Because Purdy wasn’t a top draft pick? You were comparing based off a low draft pick. Assuming Hartman could be Purdy is asinine.

I threw in Brady because he had a similar draft story to Purdy as well. My point. Purdy isn’t Brady, and Hartman isn’t Purdy. The comparisons are dumb. Just like your original point.
No! What's wrong with you, is this a serious question, or are you also being a troll? Everybody here knows who Brock Purdy was. We even played against him one time. He was a six-foot tall, pretty prolific QB playing for a lower-tier P5 program, just like SH.... who was a long shot to stick in the NFL, and he's beat the odds and now finds himself starting for a Super Bowl team. And it's not like if you watch the 49ers play, you think to yourself 'Who the hell is that Niners QB, he looks like a phenom!'. No, he looks and plays like an undersized, not too physically gifted in any way QB, who nevertheless gets the job done and has become the starter for an NFL team. Making the comparison to SH totally apt. I'm pretty sure you could google that and you would find sports blogs comparing the two. No one anywhere would compare Tom Brady to SH or Brock Purdy.

So it's not a dumb comparison, you're the effin' idiot. And I don't for the life of me know why you would be stuck on this. It's an easy, obvious, natural comparison that would totally spring to mind. It's not dumb, it's what anyone would think of....

No! What's wrong with you, is this a serious question, or are you also being a troll? Everybody here knows who Brock Purdy was. We even played against him one time. He was a six-foot tall, pretty prolific QB playing for a lower-tier P5 program, just like SH.... who was a long shot to stick in the NFL, and he's beat the odds and now finds himself starting for a Super Bowl team. And it's not like if you watch the 49ers play, you think to yourself 'Who the hell is that Niners QB, he looks like a phenom!'. No, he looks and plays like an undersized, not too physically gifted in any way QB, who nevertheless gets the job done and has become the starter for an NFL team. Making the comparison to SH totally apt. I'm pretty sure you could google that and you would find sports blogs comparing the two. No one anywhere would compare Tom Brady to SH or Brock Purdy.

So it's not a dumb comparison, you're the effin' idiot. And I don't for the life of me know why you would be stuck on this. It's an easy, obvious, natural comparison that would totally spring to mind. It's not dumb, it's what anyone would think of....
Go back to the LSU forum dummy.

I think Purdy's more talented. He seems a little more athletic, and more accurate. He completed 69% of his passes this year for the 49ers, which is very good.

I think Purdy's more talented. He seems a little more athletic, and more accurate. He completed 69% of his passes this year for the 49ers, which is very good.
Kyle Shanahan, Jr, and arguably the best offensive talent in the NFL.

That said, I like his game. He can play.

Last edited:
Sam reminds me of Gardner Minshew good not great a liitle athletic average arm long hair beard..

I don’t see Hartman being drafted. He’d be lucky to be an undrafted free agent and end up on a practice squad. Last year he would have been a 6th-7th round pick. But I understand he made more in NIL playing at ND for a year than taking a 6th-7th round contract. He absolutely did not improve his draft stock.

I don’t see Hartman being drafted. He’d be lucky to be an undrafted free agent and end up on a practice squad. Last year he would have been a 6th-7th round pick. But I understand he made more in NIL playing at ND for a year than taking a 6th-7th round contract. He absolutely did not improve his draft stock.
I read this same thing from many regarding Ian Book.

Then IB was drafted in round 4 by Sean Payton.

I simply disagree with the idea that because Purdy can make a Super Bowl, we should think Sam will too. You’ve selected a true outlier as your example for Hartman— any stats class would tell you that’s incorrect.

It would be more accurate to assume Hartman will have the typical NFL career of the average 6th or 7th round pick, if that’s where he is drafted.

I think a more suitable college and player comparison to Purdy would be Ian Book, who was drafted well ahead in the 4th round. Not anywhere near the success of Purdy.

If an 18 handicap golfer goes up to the tee and expects a hole in one because his buddy who’s the same skill just got one, odds are he will be severely disappointed.

I’m rooting for Sam, but to think he’s the next Purdy is like saying you know next weeks lotto numbers.

I just watched about three minutes of Brock Purdy highlights and it looks like they could be the same guy.....

I simply disagree with the idea that because Purdy can make a Super Bowl, we should think Sam will too. You’ve selected a true outlier as your example for Hartman— any stats class would tell you that’s incorrect.

It would be more accurate to assume Hartman will have the typical NFL career of the average 6th or 7th round pick, if that’s where he is drafted.

I think a more suitable college and player comparison to Purdy would be Ian Book, who was drafted well ahead in the 4th round. Not anywhere near the success of Purdy.

If an 18 handicap golfer goes up to the tee and expects a hole in one because his buddy who’s the same skill just got one, odds are he will be severely disappointed.

I’m rooting for Sam, but to think he’s the next Purdy is like saying you know next weeks lotto numbers.
Just STFU. Brock Purdy was identical to SH when he was a senior who was going to be no better than a late round pick, who has hoping to stick as a 3rd string QB, and then maybe he could get his chance down the road. How is it that people like you get through life being this effin' stupid, and disingenuous? Yeah, chances are SH won't be starting for a Super Bowl team in his 2nd season in the NFL. Like that's some sort of bold prediction. In fact just like Brock Purdy, he'll be lucky to make an NFL roster at all. It's like the way a child's mind might operate, your apparent logic and reasoning, like a literal six-year old. And not a very bright or precocious six year old. And you're a grown man.

It's a real trip seeing the way your minds' work.

I'm replying a second time, because for some reason this is really annoying me. I never said or suggested SH was going to be starting in a Super Bowl in year two of his career, you imbecile. No one anywhere would say such a thing. Just to be emphatically clear that I never directly suggested that. What I did suggest is that, given how similar they are, if Brock Purdy can simply make it at all, and do well and become a starter, let alone be starting in the Super Bowl, maybe SH can also stick in the NFL, and hope to one day be a starter too like Brock Purdy has. As in, if Brock Purdy can do it maybe SH can too. Given how effin' similar they are. Simple as that.

What kind of mind, what kind of brain, would insist that because Brock Purdy is starting in the Super Bowl, that any and all comparisons to similar players like SH, become null and void because of course there's little or no chance that SH's NFL career trajectory will also include playing in a Super Bowl in his second season like Purdy. Or third season, I can't remember which. So were you born this way or did society do this to you? Maybe it's from gambling, and so you no longer know how to engage in open-ended speculation, and you gotta be definitely right or definitely wrong. Something like that...

A post by you:

“Watching old boy play for the Niners, and actually get to the Super Bowl let alone simply become an NFL starter, you'd be inclined to think Hartman could do the same thing.”

You created the comparison and have now severely backtracked. I would never suggest Hartman can do what Purdy has done simply because he had a good college career. There are 100’s of good college QB’s that didn’t make it in the NFL.

I won’t respond with personal attacks like you did. I can engage in a rational conversation with differing opinions without losing my composure and maintaining a proper temperament.

However, you should think about the way you speak to people. It could benefit you in all areas of life.

I just watched about three minutes of Brock Purdy highlights and it looks like they could be the same guy.....
Looking at their college stats, Purdy was more accurate. He was around 66-72% in college. Hartman was from 55-63%. Also, Purdy ran a little better. So perhaps his very good accuracy is one reason he's done so well in the pros. He was at 69% this year for the 49ers, which ranked 4th in the NFL among QBs who played at least 8 games. And he actually had the highest QB rating in the league among QBs who played more than 4 games.

Looking at their college stats, Purdy was more accurate. He was around 66-72% in college. Hartman was from 55-63%. Also, Purdy ran a little better. So perhaps his very good accuracy is one reason he's done so well in the pros. He was at 69% this year for the 49ers, which ranked 4th in the NFL among QBs who played at least 8 games. And he actually had the highest QB rating in the league among QBs who played more than 4 games.
I figure he's just good. And unlike Ian Book, he can make enough of the right reads, enough of the time, and keep the offense moving. But as far as tools and physical talent, and college production, they're close enough for ready comparison. I mean SH of course.

In his highlights he definitely doesn't show a lot of arm talent. His throws just barely make it in there. But he seems to have the knack. I like him, I'm stoked his career is taking off like it is....

There isn't much difference in Hartman and Purdy on a CFB field.
Except it took Purdy 4 years of college football develop his skill and ultimately get drafted. Hartman had to stick around 6 years to improve his draft status. 2 years is a huge difference.

It really depends on who drafts him or offers a tryout and who the coaches are. If the player’s strengths merge into what the coaches want to do, then the possibility of success is high. If not, oh well. Suppose Brady was drafted by Pitt when Knox (run oriented) was coach, would he have the same success?

Except it took Purdy 4 years of college football develop his skill and ultimately get drafted. Hartman had to stick around 6 years to improve his draft status. 2 years is a huge difference.
I liked what Sam Hartman brought to Notre Dame. Thought he had played well. Especially given the pedestrian WR room he had to work with. And IMO a lousy OC. I SMH why adult ND Football fans sit around and ridicule the guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT