ADVERTISEMENT

Happy Memorial Day

Dec 7, 2007
On this Memorial Day, let us honor and remember the brave men and women who have given their lives in the service of this great country. While we are not a nation without flaws, let us count our collective blessings and never forget the principles the United States stands for.

"All gave some. Some gave all. Remember them this Memorial Day."

On this Memorial Day, let us honor and remember the brave men and women who have given their lives in the service of this great country. While we are not a nation without flaws, let us count our collective blessings and never forget the principles the United States stands for.

"All gave some. Some gave all. Remember them this Memorial Day."
Your message is heartfelt and sincere. My objection is the title of your post. Memorial Day is a solemn day of remembrance, reflection and prayer for loved ones lost serving our country during times of conflict. The widow of a fallen comrade of mine in Afghanistan said something to me a few years ago. She would rather say and have people say to her, "Have a thoughtful Memorial Day."

Reactions: THUNDERSTRUCK111
Your message is heartfelt and sincere. My objection is the title of your post. Memorial Day is a solemn day of remembrance, reflection and prayer for loved ones lost serving our country during times of conflict. The widow of a fallen comrade of mine in Afghanistan said something to me a few years ago. She would rather say and have people say to her, "Have a thoughtful Memorial Day."

I appreciate and understand the sentiment and I know there are conflicting views on this topic. I am a veteran myself and come from a family of veterans. That said, I have never suffered the heartbreak of having a family member be a casualty of war, and can understand how those who have experienced such suffering might feel differently than I do about it. I look at it like the veterans organization called Flags of Valor, which says it is ok to say happy Memorial Day so long as it "comes from a place of grateful joy for the life we live today that was provided by the sacrifices of generations before."

For many Memorial Day is just a day off from work or a chance to get together and barbeque with family or friends. I always try to make it a point to attend or participate in events put on by local veteran's groups. Those can be very inspiring.

Reactions: 96domer
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT