ADVERTISEMENT

Hank Gathers dead 25 years ago today.

Irishjohn68

All Star
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2003
Hard to believe it has been that long. I'll never forget seeing the video of him falling to the floor during the game. Very sad day.

Very sad day. What a great LMU team that was. W/ him in the lineup - they may of made it to the final 4.

The run they made w/ Bo Kimble was still quite amazing. What a coaching job Paul Westhead did w/ that team.

Their is a very good 30 /30 special about that team and Hank Gathers.

I remember Bo Kimble shooting free throws left handed in honor of his teammate and friend.

My freshaman year at LMU, and I was at the game. That video brings back so much emotion... see it on ESPN right now.

I was lucky enough to go to the NCAA regional games in Long Beach at which the Lions beat Michigan. Talk about running and gunning! At every timeout, the Michigan trainers would run chairs out onto the court to let the Wolverines sit for a minute. LMU was on fire after Hank passed, but they unfortunately ran into the one two punch of Princeton and then eventually champ UNLV.
This post was edited on 3/4 4:10 PM by HarpuaIrish

Philly boys Gathers and Kimble. It is hard to believe it's been that long. He was an awesome talent. Hank and Bo fit the Loyaloa Marymount style of basketball they were playing. That's was a fun team to watch. School yard style at the college level.

Hey Harpua... fellow LMU Alum here as well. I was a Junior at LMU at the time. Almost surreal how it all happened and to think it has been 25 years.The "Hank and Bo Show" was just a magical time at LMU for those of us lucky enough to be students at the time. Good to see a fellow Lion is also an Irish fan.

It feels like yesterday (although my body would say otherwise), that I was playing pickup games during the off season in the old Alumni gym with Fryer, Hank, Terrell Lowery and Blade.

But, the best memory was when I had just transferred to LMU after my Freshman year and I went to go play some pickup in Amuni at night and there wasn't anyone in there except Hank. He was just shooting around at one of the main baskets and I started shooting on another. After about 5-10 min. he asked if I wanted to shoot at his basket. I did and we just shot around for about half hour and just talking about different things and just being at LMU. I was new to LMU and didn't know anyone and would go over to alumni at night just to shoot and think.... and it meant a lot to me for him to do that. Special time.

Sad how his life had to end so soon.

It was indeed a sad day. I loved watching LMU run and gun! There will never be another team like that one.
frown.r191677.gif

Originally posted by dwqwiz:
Hey Harpua... fellow LMU Alum here as well. I was a Junior at LMU at the time. Almost surreal how it all happened and to think it has been 25 years.The "Hank and Bo Show" was just a magical time at LMU for those of us lucky enough to be students at the time. Good to see a fellow Lion is also an Irish fan.

It feels like yesterday (although my body would say otherwise), that I was playing pickup games during the off season in the old Alumni gym with Fryer, Hank, Terrell Lowery and Blade.

But, the best memory was when I had just transferred to LMU after my Freshman year and I went to go play some pickup in Amuni at night and there wasn't anyone in there except Hank. He was just shooting around at one of the main baskets and I started shooting on another. After about 5-10 min. he asked if I wanted to shoot at his basket. I did and we just shot around for about half hour and just talking about different things and just being at LMU. I was new to LMU and didn't know anyone and would go over to alumni at night just to shoot and think.... and it meant a lot to me for him to do that. Special time.

Sad how his life had to end so soon.
Sometimes my memory plays tricks on me, must be the old age. I seem to remember that Hank and Bo were headed to USC when they "magically" landed at LMU. Next thing you know, they both had matching Ford Thunderbirds, driving around campus.

This post was edited on 3/5 12:28 PM by HarpuaIrish

And then was Per Stumer... man that guy could inbound the ball so well! Doesn't seem like a that big of a deal, but under that run and gun format, he started the whole flow with the inbound pass.

He will forever go down as the "best inbounder" in NCAA history, lol.

Yep, they transferred from SC a year earlier. Keith Olbermann did a report way back when on how Hank was getting paid something like $50k to transfer.

I don't doubt it at all. Back then it was much easier to get away with it. Also, who would transfer TO LMU anyways.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
not exactly a national bball powerhouse before then. We were ok/good locally but when those two came we became a national brand team.

Then POOF like that it was all gone...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT