ADVERTISEMENT

Golson now reporting that he was actually blocked from Texas

IrishBlooded

All Star
Oct 2, 2009
CLICK HERE

Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson is officially headed to Florida State, but if it weren’t for his former school’s restrictions, things might have ended a bit differently. In an interview with Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman, Golson revealed that Notre Dame did block Texas as a transfer destination, given the fact that the Irish play the Longhorns to open the 2015 season. Golson told Feldman that it was “pretty awkward”, but expected.

“I would’ve definitely entertained it, but just knowing that I couldn’t, it kinda limited me,” Golson said. “It was pretty awkward, but it was kind of expected. It would’ve been interesting to see Texas. They (Notre Dame) basically limited me to the schools that we wouldn’t play. I wasn’t really surprised by it.

…I just kinda left it alone. The biggest thing for me was I wanted to be somewhere down south, too. They didn’t necessarily block me from something I was strongly considering except maybe Texas.”

Golson did mention that he appreciated how Notre Dame’s compliance team helped walk him through the “nerve-wracking” process, however.

This isn’t a huge deal, though back in early May, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that Notre Dame told him that it didn’t block any of Golson’s 10 potential transfer destinations. Perhaps those 10 schools were decided after Golson was informed of the program’s restrictions.

CLICK HERE

Former Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson is officially headed to Florida State, but if it weren’t for his former school’s restrictions, things might have ended a bit differently. In an interview with Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman, Golson revealed that Notre Dame did block Texas as a transfer destination, given the fact that the Irish play the Longhorns to open the 2015 season. Golson told Feldman that it was “pretty awkward”, but expected.

“I would’ve definitely entertained it, but just knowing that I couldn’t, it kinda limited me,” Golson said. “It was pretty awkward, but it was kind of expected. It would’ve been interesting to see Texas. They (Notre Dame) basically limited me to the schools that we wouldn’t play. I wasn’t really surprised by it.

…I just kinda left it alone. The biggest thing for me was I wanted to be somewhere down south, too. They didn’t necessarily block me from something I was strongly considering except maybe Texas.”

Golson did mention that he appreciated how Notre Dame’s compliance team helped walk him through the “nerve-wracking” process, however.

This isn’t a huge deal, though back in early May, ESPN’s Brett McMurphy reported that Notre Dame told him that it didn’t block any of Golson’s 10 potential transfer destinations. Perhaps those 10 schools were decided after Golson was informed of the program’s restrictions.
Didn't we already know that he was going to be blocked from any school on our 2015 schedule, had he requested that school?

It sounds harsh on the surface but that would be my opinion also. EG has a wealth of knowledge about our program from the inside out and I am sure he would have no problem using that knowledge towards BK if given the chance.

This whole transfer thing still is still pretty new. It has been around for about 10 years. Which is why we haven't seen many ND players do this yet.

But keep in mind this is how ND picked up Riggs last year. Abd imagine what the secondary would have looked like without him, and with Russell out last year.

I agree they shouldn't be able to transfer to any school on the schedule.

When Chris Badger transferred prior to the 2013 season, why did ND let him go to BYU, who was on the schedule in 2013.

Badger was one of those transferring closer to home because of family issues guys. The NCAA gave him a waiver that pretty much made him immediately available.Maybe he had a legit non-football reason for wanting to transfer to BYU.

Badger was one of those transferring closer to home because of family issues guys. The NCAA gave him a waiver that pretty much made him immediately available.Maybe he had a legit non-football reason for wanting to transfer to BYU.

I'm guessing that ND probably would have wanted to avoid the negative press by restricting a Mormon from transferring to BYU.

Strong says Everett Golson wanted to be a Longhorn and was blocked... Golson says Block was on Texas..... but ----- "It's just not true," Swarbrick said regarding the rumors ND blocked Golson. "The way this process works is a student identifies schools they would like to consider, and we have not denied a single school that Everett Golson identified as one he has an interest in going to."

Said ND would go a different direction if players are paid... then took a step back on that.... Pres. is having a little credibility issue?

Strong says Everett Golson wanted to be a Longhorn and was blocked... Golson says Block was on Texas..... but ----- "It's just not true," Swarbrick said regarding the rumors ND blocked Golson. "The way this process works is a student identifies schools they would like to consider, and we have not denied a single school that Everett Golson identified as one he has an interest in going to."

Said ND would go a different direction if players are paid... then took a step back on that.... Pres. is having a little credibility issue?

Jack is a lawyer before all else. In a legal sense, Golson never asked to go to Texas and ND never told him no. That isn't a credibility issue. It is the truth.

Golson may have known not to ask because he knew what the answer would be (we've all been through that with our bosses/parents/etc.), but bottom line... He was not legally blocked!

Jack is a lawyer before all else. In a legal sense, Golson never asked to go to Texas and ND never told him no. That isn't a credibility issue. It is the truth.

Golson may have known not to ask because he knew what the answer would be (we've all been through that with our bosses/parents/etc.), but bottom line... He was not legally blocked!

This is exactly what I heard happened. Golson didn't ask because he was already told that no transfer would be allowed to a team on the schedule. So Golson didn't ask and by default ND didn't have to block.

Of course he would be blocked from ND's first opponent. He is a four year player who has total knowledge of the playbook. You guys would bitch forever had he not been blocked. I would too!

EG is lucky he didn't end up at Savannah State. What the Sam Hill did he or anybody else think going in? ND was going to lay out the red carpet and pay his plane fair to Texas or anyone else on the schedule? This is a non discussion in my world. I don't even like the idea of EG going to FSU. Sooner than later the Irish will meet the Seminoles and what EG has told Jimbo, in detail, is anybody's guess.

As talented as he was and I was a fan of EG, it's pretty pretty clear that when the final book is written on him, this team would have been better off without EG.

I'm not sure about that ^^^^ at all. I have never heard that players didn't like EG and he would be a great back up to MZ if there were injuries.

Yep, Lawyers can be counted on to manipulate the story, but Golson was blocked from Texas because it was too stupid an idea to even consider

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT