ADVERTISEMENT

Everett and Malik

ch_seahawkfan

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Sep 25, 2007
debate of what hap last season is a dominate theme until Saturday then we can debate what hap in Blue-Gold game and of course we were all burned by the turnovers so as with any sting will act/talk avoidance of a repeat of that displeasure but in reality..........

"The Irish are coming off their best offensive showing in the Kelly Era (32nd in total offense) and the worst in his five seasons on defense (71st)."

HCBK's name for the Duo

"With Golson looking the part of a quarterback not going anywhere but the starting lineup, the Irish will enter 2015 with two quarterbacks worth of starting.

Football cliches tell us that's a bad thing. But Notre Dame's head coach, offensive coordinator and anybody else inside the program will tell you much differently"

five things

I just feel safer with MZ. When Golson takes a snap I keep waiting for the turnover to happen.

Didn't anyone hear BK's comment that some of MZ's calls at the LOS scrimmage are puzzling and he continues to be a work in progress? How safe does is that? This isn't Pop Warner of HS where you give the ball to your best open field athlete and let him out run everyone. I don't think either QB looked especially accurate or Heisman like.

I didn't see the game. Did DeShone Kizer get any snaps? I am interested in what he can do.

Originally posted by hoopsstar12:
I didn't see the game. Did DeShone Kizer get any snaps? I am interested in what he can do.
IMO did not show he is ready....couple of poor throws but not much time with running clock. ND though has TWO quality QB's ahead of him.

Go Irish!!!

I AM an MZ fan...BUT based solely on yesterday EG appeared to be more in control.....and BK seems to favor him. No doubt MZ with time will be outstanding. I'd be SHOCKED if EG does not return this fall......given his time in this system and now his performance. I still expect both to play but EG given his seniority gets the texas start. MZ is one play/turnover/injury from being THE man.

Go Irish!!!

I hope both kids play a lot - they deserve it .

Both talented kids w-o both the season is at risk if one went down and the other wasnt there to replace him .

Frankly I don't see anyway both kids don't play imo it could really effect the morale of the whole group if either kid is perceived as getting screwed .

Huge supporter of BK but he has built this box now he has to figure a way of making it work so as to not lose either of these kids physically and emotionally -- game on -- the good news is this will only last a year.

Getting and keeping talented QB's is a significant challenge .

Always has been always will be --

Why is there a hope both play a lot? What is the argument for the 2 qb system other then ND has two guys talented enough to play?

I hope they win every game. Don't care how it gets done. IMO Golson is starter with a short leash. No way BK can allow Golson to leave . way too much invested in him MZ without a doubt in my mind is a MUCH better runner, and has a great arm to boot. BUT one hit can knock either one to the sidelines. Does anyone feel comfortable with a True frosh or the kid that played yesterday at QB ? I sure as heck do not. Give me a DUO QB going intot he Fall and ND is in great shape. BK should name EG the starter. EG has played a lot of football for ND not all was bad. Heck a BS call by the refs @ FSU might have cost ND a 11-1 season . Golson was a potential Heisman candidate going into that FSU game . He played great in that game. That team tanked it slowly not just him. EZ has 3 years of Elig. MZ one . Go with him to start and go from there.

Originally posted by SALittleGiant513:
Why is there a hope both play a lot? What is the argument for the 2 qb system other then ND has two guys talented enough to play?
I'm not sure what the argument for a 2 QB system generally is. But in this particular case, with Zaire being a lefty, it adds some additional stuff for opposing defenses to prepare for.

I prefer Zaire. Because his passing has improved, and he gives you a lot more in the running aspect. Running QBs are a big part of CFB. Look how effective Oregon's offense has been for years, with QBs that are good at running the read-option. That's what Zaire would give you, that Golson won't. Golson can scramble decently for yardage when a play breaks down, and run for the occasional touchdown down near the goalline, but he's just not that great at running the read-option.

If you have 2 QB's then you don't have 1 QB. Having a capable back up is great, having 2 capable back ups like OSU is AWESOME.

But ND should have one clearly defined starter and leader. Hopefully whoever that is does not leave the ball rolling all over the field. If this team plays efficiently at QB they can win 10 or more. If the QB play resembles 2014 they could easily lose 4 or 5.

I hope they alternate starts, depending on the opponent, and both play a lot. I have seen this work well in college and HS. Granted it's better to have one QB that is so great, no other can touch, but that is not the case next season at ND. Two very different and very good QB, each can contribute and lead. As long as MZ is one of the starters and not sitting on the bench he can be Mr. Ra Ra all the time. Golson is far too talented to leave out and can be a better leader without the kind of pressure to do everything like last season.

Why would you want them to alternate starts? Championship teams need leadership and consistency among a number of other things. Alternating starts for the QBs undermines both of their abilities to lead because it isn't their team. Further with an alternating policy you run the risk of creating a locker room environment where you have MZ's guys and EG's guys. Even if MZ and EG were alternating last year both QB's would have felt pressure to compensate for the Defense, not sure how cutting EG's time and saying here you go, you get to play only half the time relives him of pressure. If anything it will increase the pressure on both as each player is pressing to make plays in order to win the job out right and/or impress NFL scouts in the limited playing time they have.

Again historically a 2 QB approach in the modern era has generally not been successful on a championship level.

SAL, you share the opine of Doug Flutie and I could be wrong about what will hap, but if there is a DUO and ND wins with that strategy, all the junk you fret about will dissolve into meaningless yada, yada, yada.... How did you like that Bowl win against LSU, a top SEC program ? btw

Reactions: Bodizephax
Everyone enjoyed the bowl win. That doesn't change the empirical evidence that goes against the position that Alternating QB's is not optimal.

LSU last year was a good SEC west program, probably the 6-7 best team in the SEC. Their offense was terrible but that Defense was salty for sure. Just because EG coming in and helping change the game by successfully passing the ball worked in one games doesn't mean it will work over the course of the season or that alternating the QB's won have an impact on the locker room.

"Everett Golson and Malik Zaire could form a dynamic one-two punch." http://notredame.scout.com/story/1540543-tall-tales-or-telltale-signs?s=109 If one plays the vast majority of the time, the assets of the other lay dormant. If both play, Brian Kelly and his staff have to work overtime to devise an all-encompassing game plan to accentuate both. It worked great against LSU with a month to prepare. Can the Irish do that on a weekly basis?

Two quarterbacks is absolutely fine. This happens all the time in sports. Did anyone watch the Blackhawks last night when they switched goalies. How about the Bulls this year when Rose was out. How about every MLB game when multiple pitchers pitch in every single game. Is it preferable to have one awesome QB who plays the entire year without issue - sure. But if you have two pretty equal QBs with similar and complementary skills think about how opposing coaches have to game plan for us.

Two quarterbacks is absolutely fine. This happens all the time in sports. Did anyone watch the Blackhawks last night when they switched goalies. How about the Bulls this year when Rose was out. How about every MLB game when multiple pitchers pitch in every single game. Is it preferable to have one awesome QB who plays the entire year without issue - sure. But if you have two pretty equal QBs with similar and complementary skills think about how opposing coaches have to game plan for us.
What pro teams are using it? One risk you run is that a cold qb gets pulled right when he is about to get into rhythym. If the next guy comes in cold you have compounded the problem. Imo Kelly should start Zaire and ride him until he loses the position.

A back up goalie, a middle relief pitcher or a back up QB should be used only in situations where the starter is not performing.

Has anyone ever won a College National Championship or a Super Bowl playing two QB's? I seem to remember Billy Joe Hobert and Mark Brunnell sharing snaps at UW and Frazier and Bollinger sharing snaps at Nebraska.

Yeah, I remember Hobert and Brunell sharing snaps on that '91 Washington team. For Florida, it was a situation where Tebow would come in down near the goalline, I think. Maybe that latter situation could work for us - bringing in Zaire near the goalline, with his superior running ability and bigger size.

But it's rare. And Flutie (who knows a thing or two about QBing) made it clear he wasn't a fan of platooning, during the B/G broadcast.

Fla. '06 Nat. Champs Tim Tebow situationally replaced Chris Leak --

Steve Spurrier made it work in 1997 against the Seminoles. The Gators struggled on offense all season -- compared to the numbers they were putting up under Danny Wuerffel the previous season -- and Johnson found himself in Spurrier's doghouse because of behavior issues and the fact that he threw too many interceptions.

Brindise started the Vanderbilt and South Carolina games heading into the regular-season finale against Florida State. Spurrier had decided the best strategy to beat the No. 2-ranked Seminoles was to rotate Johnson and Brindise on every play.

Should ND call Texas and forfeit? We had a guy who threw 29 TD'S and committed 22 turnovers. The kid did the best he could and I wish him well but let's not pretend ND lost Joe Montana

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT