ADVERTISEMENT

Dominik Hulak Committed

His ranking and # of stars will disappoint many. But this is a very interesting commitment. He plays offense and defense and multiple positions. Very physical player with really good quickness and athleticism, with great football instincts. I personally think he would be a high four star if he played one position and honed his skill accordingly. ND got a really high upside commitment with this future linebacker or edge. Glad he’s Irish.

Is it ever possible, for a fan, to accept a kid's three star status, purely and eternally, and on its relative merits, without any particular contingency offered or required? You don't get any credit for being respectful to a prospect, if after praising his abilities such as you may seem to recognize and appreciate, without somehow saying, somewhere in there, that if one little circumstance was different in his situation that he would indeed most likely be some totally elite, high-status, high-prestige recruit that we could all gloat and preen over?

And just take him as a three star and let it stand, naked and alone before God and the universe? The cold, cold universe which cares nothing of human follies or aspirations. Stars don't really actually mean anything, in and of themselves. They're an educated guess as to a player's potential, and beyond that a statistical inference at best. With countless exceptions to those jealously guarded and constantly cited statistical probabilities.

So it would be cool if we could just say, hey this kid's a three star prospect, with a bunch of Big Ten offers and hopefully he'll be great!

His ranking and # of stars will disappoint many. But this is a very interesting commitment. He plays offense and defense and multiple positions. Very physical player with really good quickness and athleticism, with great football instincts. I personally think he would be a high four star if he played one position and honed his skill accordingly. ND got a really high upside commitment with this future linebacker or edge. Glad he’s Irish.
Love his film. Athletic, great feet, passes the eyeball test. Solid pickup.

Is it ever possible, for a fan, to accept a kid's three star status, purely and eternally, and on its relative merits, without any particular contingency offered or required? You don't get any credit for being respectful to a prospect, if after praising his abilities such as you may seem to recognize and appreciate, without somehow saying, somewhere in there, that if one little circumstance was different in his situation that he would indeed most likely be some totally elite, high-status, high-prestige recruit that we could all gloat and preen over?

And just take him as a three star and let it stand, naked and alone before God and the universe? The cold, cold universe which cares nothing of human follies or aspirations. Stars don't really actually mean anything, in and of themselves. They're an educated guess as to a player's potential, and beyond that a statistical inference at best. With countless exceptions to those jealously guarded and constantly cited statistical probabilities.

So it would be cool if we could just say, hey this kid's a three star prospect, with a bunch of Big Ten offers and hopefully he'll be great!
Thanks Dad.

In the article that said some of the Notre Dame coaches went crazy when he committed. Come on have we Fallen that far?

It would depend on the fan.
Some have said on here the reason the BCS/CFBPO have been so lopsided is because of too many 3 stars on the roster and not enough elite players.....I guess there's some truth to that until proven otherwise

“hard hitting three star” (fill in name here)….wish I had $100 for every time this gets posted regarding a ND recruit. Is that you Nico Fertitta?

I hope the kid turns out to be great. I’d still trade ten of these for one difference making five star defensive end.

Reactions: tbonesays
“hard hitting three star” (fill in name here)….wish I had $100 for every time this gets posted regarding a ND recruit. Is that you Nico Fertitta?

I hope the kid turns out to be great. I’d still trade ten of these for one difference making five star defensive end.
Maybe tell us about your CFB playing career.

What a shit post.

Give it a break

It would depend on the fan.
Some have said on here the reason the BCS/CFBPO have been so lopsided is because of too many 3 stars on the roster and not enough elite players.....I guess there's some truth to that until proven otherwise
Yeah I guess it would depend. And the guy in the OP was trying to be positive. But no matter what it seems, no one can escape the power of the cult of the recruiting stars. Whether the glass if half full or half empty, in people's minds recruiting stars will always loom inexorably over everything....

Reactions: deadirishpoet
Yeah I guess it would depend. And the guy in the OP was trying to be positive. But no matter what it seems, no one can escape the power of the cult of the recruiting stars. Whether the glass if half full or half empty, in people's minds recruiting stars will always loom inexorably over everything....
The data has come in and the teams that recruit the highest usually when the national championship. Fact. Not up for debate

The data has come in and the teams that recruit the highest usually when the national championship. Fact. Not up for debate
What is up for debate, is putting too much stock in early rankings. Kyle Hamilton was once a three star recruit and many others- when rivals changes their rankings, then we can believe he’s good?

What is up for debate, is putting too much stock in early rankings. Kyle Hamilton was once a three star recruit and many others- when rivals changes their rankings, then we can believe he’s good?
As well as the idea of just letting it go. And not obsessing over a kid's ranking, since you can't control it, and you can't control who your favorite team recruits. The one thing you can control is your reaction to it. Almost like this is cognitive behavior therapy or some shit. Even if you think you have an unassailable argument that more stars invariably means more wins and so your fretfulness is justified. You still can't control it. So just hope for the best and stop bringing it up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT